Charging speed

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
To power up, you consume Red Bull. But your phone just needs its adaptive fast charger. Rate this thread to express how quickly the Google Pixel 3 can charge. A higher rating indicates that it charges extremely fast.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Powergreb

Feb 12, 2014
The Pixel and Pixel 2 used to charge "fine" through a PC port. The pixel 3 charges extremely slowly. For example my Pixel 2 would be at 50% battery and using the USB port on my car it would be close to 90% when I got home. Under the same situation, the Pixel 3 would only be at 55%. Same problem using the PC port. I know I know it's NOT supposed to be fast charge but I am only stating the facts and differences. Stock charger charges fine.

Reactions: nickporwal

sam_underhill

Jan 27, 2009
Pixel 3 charges very slowly on my existing 2.4A (per port) multi usb charger. Clearly it's not a PD charger, but it always provided enough juice for my nexus 5x to charge quickly. Clearly the pixel 3 doesn't like it.

nondoB

Nov 2, 2015
New York
Can confirm this also. Ampere indicates that it pulls less than 200mA on any non-USB type C charger. This is different from my previous Pixel 2.

adimanwit

Nov 24, 2011
Hull
With Samsung fast wireless charger, s9 goes from 20%to 100 in less than 2 h, pixel 3 charged only 25% in 2 h....... Charging speed is awfull if you don't use Google chargers

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
Can confirm this also. Ampere indicates that it pulls less than 200mA on any non-USB type C charger. This is different from my previous Pixel 2.

Something is not right there. I see around 1000 mA with an old 1.0A charger and around 1300 mA with various 2.4A ones. Even with 'slow' wireless I see 500-600 mA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

Powergreb

Feb 12, 2014
With Nov security update. No improvements. It charges fine with pd charger but insanely slow with any other.

acruxksa

Aug 31, 2011
Anchorage, AK
My Pixel 3 charges plenty fast for me. Although, I typically use my Dell Latitude 20v (45W) PD charger. ;)

Last edited:

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
Something is not right there. I see around 1000 mA with an old 1.0A charger and around 1300 mA with various 2.4A ones. Even with 'slow' wireless I see 500-600 mA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

I'm not an expert at this stuff and certainly might be missing something but charging at 1000mA from a 1A charger should be physically impossible. Wouldn't that be 100% efficiency?

tranquill1800

Dec 26, 2009
Yup.. Charging is too slow.. Infact, the charging time estimated (which is shown on the lock screen when the phone is being charged) is also wrong.. May be it gets adjusted over time...

acruxksa

Aug 31, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Yup.. Charging is too slow.. Infact, the charging time estimated (which is shown on the lock screen when the phone is being charged) is also wrong.. May be it gets adjusted over time...

The estimate is adjusted over time. To my knowledge, all fast charge technologies are able to charge much quicker when the battery is low, but then slow the charge down as the battery approaches a fully charged state/heats up. The estimate would simply be a guess, since they likely are, app status, ambient temperature and battery condition dependent.

This can be seen in the graph on xda's quick charging comparison. Note that all the technologies start out quite fast but eventually taper off. Also note that USB-PD is the slowest (most conservative) of the technologies after the battery gets to about %40 charge.

https://www.xda-developers.com/charging-comparison-oneplus-huawei/

I would add that my new pixel 3 does appear to charge a little slower than some of my previous devices, however I've got several devices that use USB-PD so the versatility of USB-PD and ability to use one charger across my devices more than makes up for the extra 30 minutes or so of cellphone charge time. Guess everyone's expectations are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: piccit

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
"Fast charging" on the Pixel is via Power Delivery. This is only possible over USB-C; PD can negotiate higher charging rates by increasing the voltage. This is not possible with PC type A ports; type A is rated for 5v, 3a max.

Qualcomm Quick Charge does adjust voltage and uses type A ports, but it uses the data pins for rate negotiation, while PD uses pins unique to USB-C.

David Horn

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
Manchester
I'm not an expert at this stuff and certainly might be missing something but charging at 1000mA from a 1A charger should be physically impossible. Wouldn't that be 100% efficiency?

No. The charger is able to deliver 1000mA, but the total power delivered to the device will be less than it draws from the mains supply (the difference wasted as heat).

nickporwal

May 6, 2010
The Pixel and Pixel 2 used to charge "fine" through a PC port. The pixel 3 charges extremely slowly. For example my Pixel 2 would be at 50% battery and using the USB port on my car it would be close to 90% when I got home. Under the same situation, the Pixel 3 would only be at 55%. Same problem using the PC port. I know I know it's NOT supposed to be fast charge but I am only stating the facts and differences. Stock charger charges fine.
Exactly. Google has really messed up the charging speed. Pixel2 used to be fine with usb ports. Pixel3 charges faster only with stock charger with which it came.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
Yeah, that's what I thought but the comment I replied to said it was charging at 1A from a 1A charger. I would expect maybe 800mA from a 1A charger.

Yeah idk if I just mixed up my numbers (I had been testing multiple charges) or what. Tried again and it averaged more around 600

Sent from my Google Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

peikojose

May 13, 2012
The phone doesn't like to charge fast if the battery tempeturature is "high" (higher than 35 ºC). It's just a very agressive charge trhottle. Try charging again but in a colder weather or room.

It was my experience.

Reactions: FaySAL Majoka

Cyberz22

Jan 8, 2011
The charger that comes with the phone is not fast charger?
Got my phone yesterday and when I charged it, it said it's slow charging....

Edit
Second charge was fast charge according to info on screen.

Last edited:

Che Kirila

Nov 8, 2010
Los Angeles
Wireless charging speed

After Dec update, the PC port charging is normal, not rad, not slow but normal. Problem fixed.

I felt similar way until today. But today at around 20% battery I put my Pixel 3 at Pixel Stand and have got that:

Screenshot_20181208-233009.png

I already posted regarding strange behavior of wireless charging: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78315849&postcount=73:

Before I've got original Pixel Stand, I used generic wireless charger. No surprises, it chargers P3 slowly. But there is more. Sometimes it doesn't charge P3 at all. Way more strange, that almost the same behavior I have with Pixel Stand. After some days I began to suspect there is a regularity - the charge at full speed works with at least 85% of charge at phone. If the charge is lower, the possibility the charge would be at rapid speed is pretty low. It can claim it charges rapidly, but in fact it doesn't charge at all, since the charge is going down at the same rate as phone out of any charging. I definitely have relatively small statistics and can not say for sure that 85% is a "red line" for triggering wireless charge start (regardless of speed in my case). Today even at 91% phone battery wireless charging at Pixel Stand didn't start at all (with "charging rapidly" announcement at screen and slowly discharging phone). Other functions of Stand work pretty good regardless of what's going on with charging. I didn't contact Google Customer Service since the results are unstable.

In case of regular charging through the USB-C cable from native Pixel charger I've never had any problems. But wireless charging even with original Pixel Stand doesn't look good. At the generic charger even after Dec update charging goes south - not charging at all or with original Google wireless charger just like at screenshot - rapid charging in day and a half. It's better, than no charge, but for $79.99 for original Pixel Stand it has to be faster.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181208-233009.png
    Screenshot_20181208-233009.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 357

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The estimate is adjusted over time. To my knowledge, all fast charge technologies are able to charge much quicker when the battery is low, but then slow the charge down as the battery approaches a fully charged state/heats up. The estimate would simply be a guess, since they likely are, app status, ambient temperature and battery condition dependent.

This can be seen in the graph on xda's quick charging comparison. Note that all the technologies start out quite fast but eventually taper off. Also note that USB-PD is the slowest (most conservative) of the technologies after the battery gets to about %40 charge.

https://www.xda-developers.com/charging-comparison-oneplus-huawei/

I would add that my new pixel 3 does appear to charge a little slower than some of my previous devices, however I've got several devices that use USB-PD so the versatility of USB-PD and ability to use one charger across my devices more than makes up for the extra 30 minutes or so of cellphone charge time. Guess everyone's expectations are different.
    The phone doesn't like to charge fast if the battery tempeturature is "high" (higher than 35 ºC). It's just a very agressive charge trhottle. Try charging again but in a colder weather or room.

It was my experience.