FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Quality feel (use of materials)

812 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,654

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 14th September 2018, 01:15 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
Rate this thread to express how you think the Google Pixel 3 feels in terms of quality. A higher rating indicates that it feels premium and high-quality (attention to detail is high, manufacturing defects don't exist, etc).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

22nd October 2018, 08:44 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Not feeling it (sorry for pun).

Only been a few days, but fairly underwhelmed with quality/feel of the Pixel 3. Coming from an S9, the P3 feels cheap and plasticky, a bit 'loose' and unsubstantial. Does not feel like a premium $800 phone.
24th October 2018, 11:18 AM |#3  
Flag White Lake
Thanks Meter: 197

More
Could not disagree more lol

Coming from an s8 and then the s9, the p3 feels so much monre like a premium device than a toy. Whereas with the Samsung devices,I was always using a case to avoid unintentionally triggering the curved portion of the screen, I find myself using the p3 naked as I love the feel of the frosted glass. And I don't know what Google did to keep the fingerprints away, but I don't find myself wiping them off the phone nearly as much as I did with Samsung.

Goes to show you how this is a very subjective topic and to each his own!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to dew.man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dew.man Ad-Free
24th October 2018, 07:47 PM |#4  
Flag Riga
Thanks Meter: 428

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man

And I don't know what Google did to keep the fingerprints away, but I don't find myself wiping them off the phone nearly as much as I did with Samsung.

Which colour?
This is a highly underrated point you are emphasizing here. I recently got myself a second phone - used Pixel 2 (black) just to get the feel of pixel phones as such bedore I get myself P3 (still undecided white or black..not sure i like the white line accross the device when looking straight on the screen) and I am also amazed how good it is in terms of keeping fingerprints away (it gets smudgy / dirty but not fingerprinty as for example s9+ all glass iphones do making them look nasty). All my last phones (s8+, iphone x, s9+, xs max) were so annoying in this area that I absolutely hated going without a case which I always did. I only used cases in car when attaching it to magnet holder.
25th October 2018, 11:57 AM |#5  
Flag White Lake
Thanks Meter: 197

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemeljsh

Which colour?
This is a highly underrated point you are emphasizing here. I recently got myself a second phone - used Pixel 2 (black) just to get the feel of pixel phones as such bedore I get myself P3 (still undecided white or black..not sure i like the white line accross the device when looking straight on the screen) and I am also amazed how good it is in terms of keeping fingerprints away (it gets smudgy / dirty but not fingerprinty as for example s9+ all glass iphones do making them look nasty). All my last phones (s8+, iphone x, s9+, xs max) were so annoying in this area that I absolutely hated going without a case which I always did. I only used cases in car when attaching it to magnet holder.

Mine is black.

I will warm you though, having owned a Pixel 2xl, this new frosted glass is NOTHING like the painted finish on the last gen of Pixel phones.

I stand by my point that my new pixel 3 is much more fingerprint resistant and pleasant to hold than any of my Samsung phones since they switched to the glass backs.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
5th November 2018, 02:18 PM |#6  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I have the clearly white Pixel 3 on Project Fi. Really have liked the feel of it so far, though I always keep it in the case. I'm usually really careful with my phones. The two toned look is much more subdued than it is with my wife's Pixel 2 (clearly white).

After 15 days of owning it, I noticed that there is a chip in the white edge of the USB-C port. Pretty bummed about that.
16th November 2018, 04:19 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 122

More
It feels ok but certainly not as good as the Pixel 2. The textured metal back is way better. The Pixel 3 should have kept that.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimv1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jimv1983 Ad-Free
8th March 2019, 04:47 PM |#8  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 14

More
It feels more premium than my previous Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL (I had both) but, as other users have mentioned (even Nick Ackerman in his first impressions video), it had a couple of small chips in the aluminium frame out of the box. Note that I have the clearly white one. I decided not to return it to the shop because you can't tell with the case on and the phone doesn't seem to have any other flaws (and because I couldn't be bothered, really). Anyone else has noticed their Pixel (slightly) chipped out of the box?
14th April 2019, 09:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Honestly, having gone directly from a Pixel 2, to a Pixel 2 XL (noticeable difference in quality) to a Pixel 3 XL -- I must say the build quality feels far more premium than previous generations. I'd say, almost on par with the iPhones and Galaxy S phones. I now own a Pixel 3 XL, and my now, primary driver, the Galaxy S10+.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)