FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Good alternative for LED notification light?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By E_Pixie, Junior Member on 26th July 2019, 05:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've tried a couple of the recommended apps. Pixel Pulse was still too subtle to be noticed from afar. I couldn't get Always on Edge to wake up my phone screen, though after a lot of trouble it DID finally blink when I had the screen on... I'm almost positive I gave it all the requested (and optional) permissions. Is there another recommended app that could produce a noticeable blinking light when I get a notification? In case it matters, I am using a Pixel 3a.

26th July 2019, 07:08 PM |#2  
Flag Staffordshire
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Pixie

I've tried a couple of the recommended apps. Pixel Pulse was still too subtle to be noticed from afar. I couldn't get Always on Edge to wake up my phone screen, though after a lot of trouble it DID finally blink when I had the screen on... I'm almost positive I gave it all the requested (and optional) permissions. Is there another recommended app that could produce a noticeable blinking light when I get a notification? In case it matters, I am using a Pixel 3a.

Have a look at NotifyBuddy
26th July 2019, 08:35 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker39

Have a look at NotifyBuddy

I tried it, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I don't know if it is because notifications are waking my screen, or what. But I don't get any notification light while my screen is off.

EDIT: I had seen the developer reply to a comment saying it wouldn't work after screen wake, by design, as a deliberate effort to save battery. I just turned off the "Wake Screen Upon Notification" option on my phone, and that made NotificationBuddy work. But I want something that will still work after the screen wakes.
28th July 2019, 07:57 AM |#4  
Flag Wuxi
Thanks Meter: 436

More
I am pretty sure with this device your only choice is to use AOD and then these apps work. Otherwise, they can only really wake the screen. I use LED blinker with AOD on and it works every time, but can be a bit glitchy when trying to open the phone to see the notification. What I mean is, if I use my fingerprint, it does not always go to homescreen, I have to press power button to relock and try again. This is really google's fault for not adding a native option for some kind of blinking on the screen. I think no matter what it would require AOD to work though.
29th July 2019, 04:59 PM |#5  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 363

More
I've always said that something as tiny as the notification LED on Android phones made them far more useful than iPhones. I'm disappointed that Google has removed this once great advantage over Apple, just as it did with the old notification ticker from the pre-lollipop days.
29th July 2019, 05:16 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdaning

I am pretty sure with this device your only choice is to use AOD and then these apps work. Otherwise, they can only really wake the screen. I use LED blinker with AOD on and it works every time, but can be a bit glitchy when trying to open the phone to see the notification. What I mean is, if I use my fingerprint, it does not always go to homescreen, I have to press power button to relock and try again. This is really google's fault for not adding a native option for some kind of blinking on the screen. I think no matter what it would require AOD to work though.

Even with AOD on (which is not my preference) these apps still don't seem to work correctly. Do I also have to disable the wake screen for notifications option? I really dislike these choices.

I'm getting really frustrated that I practically have to hack my phone to get it to do things that my phone from 4 years ago could do natively.
30th July 2019, 10:01 AM |#7  
Flag Wuxi
Thanks Meter: 436

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Pixie

Even with AOD on (which is not my preference) these apps still don't seem to work correctly. Do I also have to disable the wake screen for notifications option? I really dislike these choices.

I'm getting really frustrated that I practically have to hack my phone to get it to do things that my phone from 4 years ago could do natively.

Not sure, I am running a custom rom. All I have done is enabled AOD and installed the app and it works.
12th August 2019, 02:03 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I have led blinker, it's the best one I found... Not as perfect as a real notification led but it do the work
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)