Remove All Ads from XDA

How to root your Pixel 3a/3a XL WITHOUT TWRP

995 posts
Thanks Meter: 136

By seniorstew, Senior Member on 10th May 2019, 03:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
**Your Bootloader MUST be unlocked**

**does not work on Android Q**

1) Download Magisk APK from https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445 and install the APK

2) download your system image from https://developers.google.com/android/images Make sure you check settings-->about phone to get your current software version to your PC

3) extract the boot.img and copy it to your Pixel

4) open Magisk and select install then write to a file. Select boot.img

5) wait for it to finish then copy the patched boot image back to your PC

6) open a powershell window from the folder you copied the patched boot image to and either ADB reboot bootloader or turn off your phone and hold the volume down and power key until your in fastboot mode, plug it in and run "fastboot getvar current-slot"

7) take note which boot letter pops up either A or B

8) run "fastboot flash boot_<Letter> <patched_image_name>.img

9)"fastboot reboot"

PROFIT

This also appears to break Google Pay even though Magisk Hide is enabled. If anyone has a work around please share!

Link to the newest Google USB drivers:
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to seniorstew For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seniorstew Ad-Free

10th May 2019, 03:56 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 165

More
Nice post. As I posted in another thread. I would test the patched image with the following command.

"fastboot boot <patch_image_name>.img"

If it works then flash it permanently.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alphahere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alphahere Ad-Free
10th May 2019, 04:38 AM |#3  
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV
Thanks Meter: 14,144

Donate to Me
More
In case anyone wants to put the old style nav bar on their new phone this still works

How to disable Android Pie gestures on the Google Pixel 3
1. Install any 3rd-party launcher of your choice. This is a must because otherwise, you won’t have a launcher app left once we’re done with this tutorial!
2. Set up ADB on your PC. Here’s a tutorial we previously wrote that you should you through the process.
3. Connect your Pixel 3 to your PC and open up a command prompt/terminal in the directory where you downloaded the ADB binary. Enter the following command depending on your OS:
Windows Command Prompt
adb shell
Windows Power Shell
.\adb shell
macOS/Linux Terminal
./adb shell
4. Now, enter the following command to uninstall the Pixel Launcher from the current user.
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher
5. Now, enter this command to re-enable the stock navigation bar after reboot. This is the setting you’ll be changing by issuing the below command.
settings put secure system_navigation_keys_enabled 1
6. Reboot your Pixel 3.
7. Once you’re booted back up, you should see the original 3 button navigation bar layout and the original vertical stacked card recent apps overview.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Archangel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Archangel Ad-Free
10th May 2019, 07:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Does not work for me on my Pixel 3a XL with Android Q Beta 3.

All the steps appear to succeed but when the phone is rebooted and Magisk Manager run it says "Magisk is not installed."

I also notice that the Magisk patched boot.img is _much_ smaller than the original. 31 MB vs. 64 MB. Doesn't seem to have kept the phone from booting though so I don't know if this is normal.

Code:
[[email protected] bonito-qpp3.190404.015]$ fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: b
Finished. Total time: 0.022s

[[email protected] bonito-qpp3.190404.015]$ fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img 
Sending 'boot_b' (30756 KB)                        OKAY [  1.160s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  0.496s]
Finished. Total time: 1.734s

[[email protected] bonito-qpp3.190404.015]$ fastboot reboot
Rebooting                                          
Finished. Total time: 0.068s

[[email protected] bonito-qpp3.190404.015]$ ls -lh boot.img boot_magisk_patched.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 carl users 64M Jan  1  2009 boot.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  31M May 10 10:48 magisk_patched.img
The Following User Says Thank You to clipcarl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clipcarl Ad-Free
10th May 2019, 08:17 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
San Diego CA
Thanks Meter: 136

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipcarl

Does not work for me on my Pixel 3a XL with Android Q Beta 3.

All the steps appear to succeed but when the phone is rebooted and Magisk Manager run it says "Magisk is not installed."

I also notice that the Magisk patched boot.img is _much_ smaller than the original. 31 MB vs. 64 MB. Doesn't seem to have kept the phone from booting though so I don't know if this is normal.

Doesn't work on Q Beta 3
10th May 2019, 11:08 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 784

More
Anyone here about the progress on the Q magisk? Haven't wandered over to pixel land in a while; seems like I recall him saying he was onto something last time I did.
11th May 2019, 07:28 AM |#7  
Recognized Themer
Reno, NV
Thanks Meter: 14,144

Donate to Me
More
Last I heard Magisk works for the Pixel 1 and 2 running Android Q but due to different software on the Pixel 3 it still isnt working but the dev has said he is working on it. I am sure with time he will get it fixed since he has a Pixel 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabman

Anyone here about the progress on the Q magisk? Haven't wandered over to pixel land in a while; seems like I recall him saying he was onto something last time I did.

11th May 2019, 06:13 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Worked fine after downgrading my 3aXL to Pie.

Thanks for the instructions!
The Following User Says Thank You to clipcarl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clipcarl Ad-Free
12th May 2019, 04:34 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Worked great. As stated, Google Pay didn't work, but Chase and Mario Run worked (which they didn't on my last rooted device). Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to echoarcade28 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift echoarcade28 Ad-Free
12th May 2019, 05:36 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 784

More
It's totally wrong but I flash both A and B and call it a day. Makes it easier to remember the commands. O_o As a point of interest for those on Fi using the eSim remember to go through the setup using it again after you unlock or you're going to get a toast asking you to connect to Fi every ten minutes. I had assumed it would just remember the sim information, not a good assumption, I had to factory reset and go through the setup again.
13th May 2019, 07:03 PM |#11  
Flag Turin
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoarcade28

Worked great. As stated, Google Pay didn't work, but Chase and Mario Run worked (which they didn't on my last rooted device). Thanks!

How is that possible? With my very very old Nexus 5, a custom ROM and Magisk, Google Pay perfecty works... (I'm waiting for the 3a)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)