FORUMS

[Guide]How to Root Your Pixel 3a and Install Magisk (on Pie & Q) with or without TWRP

891 posts
Thanks Meter: 454

By sic0048, Senior Member on 11th June 2019, 08:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th September 2019, 07:44 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello,

I received OTA and tried to install using the official Magisk method. However, during OTA installation, it keep saying "installation problem". So I tried to sideload the OTA, but, when I typed "adb reboot recovery" and holding down power and volume up button, it does not give me the android with the access panel screen. Does anyone know why is it so?

FYI, I am on Android Q 190711.020.
27th September 2019, 12:20 PM |#102  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterrix

Hello,

I received OTA and tried to install using the official Magisk method. However, during OTA installation, it keep saying "installation problem". So I tried to sideload the OTA, but, when I typed "adb reboot recovery" and holding down power and volume up button, it does not give me the android with the access panel screen. Does anyone know why is it so?

FYI, I am on Android Q 190711.020.

You have to first hold the power button, and while holding quickly press the Volume Up key.

I also have the "installation problem" : after some search, I think this problem is not related to root. I have found some people having this problem with totally stock.
I'm disapointed by google having this type of problem on the pixel line.
I hope this will be solved with Android 10...
27th September 2019, 12:33 PM |#103  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiou

You have to first hold the power button, and while holding quickly press the Volume Up key.

I also have the "installation problem" : after some search, I think this problem is not related to root. I have found some people having this problem with totally stock.
I'm disapointed by google having this type of problem on the pixel line.
I hope this will be solved with Android 10...

I went to fast boot > recovery mode, from there i understand the phone will reboot into an android lying down saying no command and thats where I hold power button + volume up?

If thats the case, when I select recovery mode, my phone does not boot into the screen with the android. It shows the Google logo and then it reboots again.
27th September 2019, 02:53 PM |#104  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I went to fast boot > recovery mode, from there i understand the phone will reboot into an android lying down saying no command and thats where I hold power button + volume up?

It's odd because I cannot boot into recovery either. I can boot into fastboot and then select "recovery" and the phone will reboot twice and end up in Android 10. If I go into a terminal app and while su type "reboot recovery" the phone will again reboot twice and end up right back in Android 10. This hasn't been the normal operation under Pie. I don't know if it is an Android 10 thing or if there is a bug.
27th September 2019, 03:02 PM |#105  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048

It's odd because I cannot boot into recovery either. I can boot into fastboot and then select "recovery" and the phone will reboot twice and end up in Android 10. If I go into a terminal app and while su type "reboot recovery" the phone will again reboot twice and end up right back in Android 10. This hasn't been the normal operation under Pie. I don't know if it is an Android 10 thing or if there is a bug.

Oh thank god. I thought it was only me and I have messed up somewhere. But were you able to update through OTA Magisk method?
28th September 2019, 12:16 PM |#106  
Flag Rimini
Thanks Meter: 5

More
After the OTA update from by temporary TWRP, now is not possible to allow changes from TWRP (in order to uninstall magisk), nor twrp sideload. When I boot temporary TWRP (last version from website) it doesn't ask me the password and no partition is mounted. Someone have some tips?
28th September 2019, 02:23 PM |#107  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

Well, I just did the update from QP1A.190711.020 to C3 and no problem to go into the recovery as usual. I sideload the full OTA image from google, all is ok. I don't know why it failed for you.
For information, at first I tried to update normally via the notification, but as the previous updates it failed (but it seems that time it failed a little bit later : I saw the progress bar during the update process).
29th September 2019, 03:15 AM |#108  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon

Anyone able to mount /system rw?

I can't either (on QP1A.190711.020.c3) - I get the following when I try via adb:

Quote:

C:\Users >adb push hosts /system/etc
adb: error: failed to copy 'hosts' to '/system/etc/hosts': remote couldn't create file: Read-only file system
hosts: 0 files pushed. 2.7 MB/s (211857 bytes in 0.074s)

C:\Users>adb shell mount -o rw,remount /system
mount: '/system' not in /proc/mounts

C:\Users>adb shell mount -o rw,remount /
mount: '/dev/block/dm-0' not user mountable in fstab

C:\Users\Sameed>adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount: '/system' not in /proc/mounts

et cetera.
30th September 2019, 02:44 PM |#109  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Oh thank god. I thought it was only me and I have messed up somewhere. But were you able to update through OTA Magisk method?

Yes. I was able to update to .020 C via a normal OTA update and Magisk installation to the unused partition (after an OTA). The phone is working fine and I didn't even know there was an issue with recovery until I tried it to see if I could help your situation. Instead I found myself experiencing the same issue as you.
1st October 2019, 09:03 AM |#110  

More
Quote:

Yes. I was able to update to .020 C via a normal OTA update and Magisk installation to the unused partition (after an OTA). The phone is working fine and I didn't even know there was an issue with recovery until I tried it to see if I could help your situation. Instead I found myself experiencing the same issue as you.

Ah man. Guess I'm unlucky. There are no other ways for me to update except clean flashing or wait for a newer OTA and hopefully it works?
1st October 2019, 02:47 PM |#111  
OP Senior Member

More
Delete.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)