FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

3rd party cables

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By hero4eva, Member on 31st October 2019, 01:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone having problems with third party cables? Some cables won't charge the pixel 4 and when using on other smart phone, it works perfectly fine. Not sure if it's a restriction that google put in place but whatever the reason the cables are working fine with other manufacturers.
31st October 2019, 01:30 PM |#2  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero4eva

Anyone having problems with third party cables? Some cables won't charge the pixel 4 and when using on other smart phone, it works perfectly fine. Not sure if it's a restriction that google put in place but whatever the reason the cables are working fine with other manufacturers.

I'm using Anker cables, and a generic cable to connect to both my work and home computers. I have no issues with charging, and copying files back and forth.
31st October 2019, 01:35 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimart7

I'm using Anker cables, and a generic cable to connect to both my work and home computers. I have no issues with charging, and copying files back and forth.

I'm using cables from Baseus, Ugreen, Usam, Floveme and other Chinese brand. Some of those happens to work and some don't, not sure why. Just tried all those cable with the pixel 3 and they all work fine.
31st October 2019, 04:33 PM |#4  
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 1,194

More
I only have Anker "red" cables and all are working from both Esemi and Anker chargers in the home and car.
1st December 2019, 04:15 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

I only have Anker "red" cables and all are working from both Esemi and Anker chargers in the home and car.

Do all the anker cables fast charge it?
1st December 2019, 05:51 PM |#6  
Flag Highlands, Scotland
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Cables have to be Power Delivery (PD) compatible and not Quick Charge (Qualcomm).
It's not always clear what the standards are for cables and Anker sell both types. I always buy Anker and had to go through this recently.
These are the ones I choose Anker Powerline + C to C https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had similar spec in the past and these are reliable and tough cables!
2nd December 2019, 03:02 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero4eva

Nope, not facing any issues. Using this one to charge both my Pixel and S10 plus at office. Working fine :)
2nd December 2019, 06:12 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m+a+r+k

Cables have to be Power Delivery (PD) compatible and not Quick Charge (Qualcomm).
It's not always clear what the standards are for cables and Anker sell both types. I always buy Anker and had to go through this recently.
These are the ones I choose Anker Powerline + C to C https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had similar spec in the past and these are reliable and tough cables!

I actually need a usb type-a to type-c cable to be used along with a powerbank like this one, so this powerline+ cable should be fine. Also, this configuration is not going to fast charge my pixel because of the absence of PD protocol, right? Which speed do you think I could achieve? Thank you
2nd December 2019, 08:58 PM |#9  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,106

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrokh19

I actually need a usb type-a to type-c cable to be used along with a powerbank like [https://www.anker.com/ca/products/va.../A1315011]this one[/URL], so this powerline+ cable should be fine. Also, this configuration is not going to fast charge my pixel because of the absence of PD protocol, right? Which speed do you think I could achieve? Thank you

It'll probably be 5v/2.4a speed so 12w. I do this for overnight charging.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
2nd December 2019, 09:13 PM |#10  
Flag Highlands, Scotland
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrokh19

I actually need a usb type-a to type-c cable to be used along with a powerbank like [https://www.anker.com/ca/products/va.../A1315011]this one[/URL], so this powerline+ cable should be fine. Also, this configuration is not going to fast charge my pixel because of the absence of PD protocol, right? Which speed do you think I could achieve? Thank you

Cable doesn't look PD, note where it says in product description "Compatible Devices (limited charging speeds)" it includes Google products all of whom are PD.
Your line for Powerbank doesn't go anywhere useful but again Anker are very bad at describing their products tech specs accurately.
So 5W charging, slow but OK for overnight charging, not great if you're on the go.
2nd December 2019, 10:16 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe

It'll probably be 5v/2.4a speed so 12w. I do this for overnight charging.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by m+a+r+k

Cable doesn't look PD, note where it says in product description "Compatible Devices (limited charging speeds)" it includes Google products all of whom are PD.
Your line for Powerbank doesn't go anywhere useful but again Anker are very bad at describing their products tech specs accurately.
So 5W charging, slow but OK for overnight charging, not great if you're on the go.

I hope you meant 5V, as the user above said. 12W are not that bad. By looking at the output of the original pixel 4 XL wall charger,it is stated as 3A at 5V or 2A at 9V. I suppose the last one is related to the PD protocol which increases the voltage to 9V in order to reach 18W (not sure here). If all I said is true, it should be able to receive 2.4A at 5V.
Could someone please confirm or confute that?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)