FORUMS

Magnetic Qi car mount?

1,154 posts
Thanks Meter: 554

By Волк, Senior Member on 8th May 2020, 07:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I know there's about three threads on the general subject, but didn't want to resurrect something that's only similar from 3 months ago and thread jack.

Simply put, I am looking for a magnetic mount wireless charger for the car. I'm a delivery driver and need to be able to just grab my phone and jump out of the car and not asshole with waiting for it to automatically release my phone or pushing a button to release the phone, etc.
8th May 2020, 05:28 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 377

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Волк

I know there's about three threads on the general subject, but didn't want to resurrect something that's only similar from 3 months ago and thread jack.

Simply put, I am looking for a magnetic mount wireless charger for the car. I'm a delivery driver and need to be able to just grab my phone and jump out of the car and not asshole with waiting for it to automatically release my phone or pushing a button to release the phone, etc.

I have been using a Scosche MagicMount Pro Charge for the last few months but it's been spotty at best. The magnets seemed like they were too close to the charging coil so the placement was very finicky for me. If it did charge, it would get too hot and would throttle down. This was with a dedicated AC vent blowing cool air on it. In the end, the heat didn't seem worth it for me. Not sure if their newer MagicMount3 is any better, but I don't really wanna throw down the money to try out something that might end up with the same results.
The Following User Says Thank You to tysj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tysj Ad-Free
24th May 2020, 05:04 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
(TL;DR) In short, they exist, but as a concept, they really just don't work well. Here's a link to one anyway: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXV4RXQ that I mention later on. It appears to be the same, or similar to the one tysj mentioned, so, it may or may not work, it really depends on the positioning of the magnets.

Thing is, like tysj found out the hard way, it's not really something that can be done (effectively, anyway), because as you probably know, Qi charging isn't magic. It's inductive charging. (Keep in mind this is a simplified explanation, it's actually a bit more complicated than this, it uses inductive resonance charging which has a bit more to it allowing it to be more efficient and have a longer range, but at the base it's still an inductive charger, just with a capacitor to set the resonant frequency and range with peak efficiency) Meaning, the charger is running electricity (AC) through its coil, which creates a changing magnetic field, which induces an electric current (AC) in the coil in the device you're charging (it's converted to DC before it charges your battery.)

Essentially, it goes (Wall AC) -> DC (wall-wart/car) -> AC -> coil -> changing magnetic field -> coil -> AC -> DC

So, placing a pair of permanent magnets in the middle of this, right where the changing magnetic field needs to be, only serves to block the ability for the charger to change the magnetic field, which it tries to compensate for by putting more power through its coil. Let's just say that in a fight between the coil and a permanent magnet strong enough to hold up your phone, the coil loses, as it is no where strong enough to change the magnetic field of the magnet. While the charging coil's magnetic field and that of the magnets may, in places, be shaped in such a way to allow some of the chargers coil's magnetic field to reach the device coil if precisely positioned, most wont, and the permanent magnets will just further resist any changing magnetic fields in the device coil.

It could possibly be done with very careful and precise positioning of magnets, like this one from Amazon.com, for instance, although based on reviews (and tysj's reply) I'm unsure of how well it will work, and it certainly depends a LOT on where you put the magnets on your phone/in the case. That's a link with no referral code, and no tracking info, I always strip them when sharing, as a courtesy just the link. Since the location of the coil in the phone isn't standardized, it's hard to say. I'm not an electrical engineer (so there are most likely errors in here), so I honestly couldn't tell you. But as someone who has a (very) basic understanding of electromagnetism, including induction, this is really not a good idea.

In the past, I had a magnet in my phone's case for just that reason, and trying to use the wireless charger just created heat, and didn't really charge the device. And that was without a magnet on the charger, too.

If you want to read up on how inductive charging (including Qi) works, the Wikipedia article is pretty good. Wikipedia: Inductive Charging

I know you said that you
Quote:

need to be able to just grab my phone and jump out of the car and not asshole with waiting for it to automatically release my phone or pushing a button to release the phone, etc.

but, given the above, I strongly suggest a Qi mount with an automatic grip for essentially the same functionality, but in a way that actually works. Look around for something quick. I'm unsure if I would recommend the Scosche magnetic one above, just due to how you would need to get the magnet placement nearly perfect. It might be worth a try, if it doesn't work you can always return it.

Something like this one on Amazon.com (there are many different designs like it, this is just an example.) It uses an IR sensor to detect when your phone approaches, then opens, and closes once its on the stand, then it releases by touching a button. It's not quite as easy as a magnetic mount, but at least it'll wirelessly charge.

Either that, or use a magnetic mount and a charging cable.

If you do end up buying a Scosche one, do let us know how it works out.

There's also one that requires a certain case to use, so I imagine there might be more of those. IMHO those are more likely to consistently work, as the magnets are pre-placed in the exact position needed and in a way that wont get in the way of the coils.

Good luck!
24th May 2020, 07:17 PM |#4  
Flag Hanover
Thanks Meter: 4,553

Donate to Me
More
Pitaka MagEZ case and their magnetic wireless charger for car, works nice for me
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)