FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD] BlackenedMod v1.3 (Pixel 4 / Pixel 4 XL)

1,319 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,984

Post Reply Email Thread
Introduction:

Hello everyone!

This script is created with the goal of improving both battery life and performance on our Google Pixel 4 / Pixel 4 XL devices, and should be seen as a fully simple, and customized, under-the-hood kernel configuration with a lot of neat, and carefully selected, adjustments for a notable better device experience, ideal as a top-notch daily driver.

Note: This script is not recommended to be modified or customized by the user.

The latest release can be found here.

Features:
  • Reduced battery consumption
  • Device specific enhancements for best possible balance between battery life & performance
  • Disabled a lot of useless stuff at kernel level (Improves battery life as well as performance)
  • Power efficiency enhancements
  • Wide IO block tuning (Reduces the possibility of hiccups, lags and overhead)
  • Possibly other miscellaneous things I've forgotten to write down here, both big and small.

Requirements / what you need for getting this script fully working:
  • An unlocked bootloader
  • Your own specific choice of kernel
  • Latest supported version of Magisk
  • Busybox for Android NDK Magisk Module by @osm0sis
  • Patience

Installation / How-To use & abuse:
  • 1) Download the attached ZIP
  • 2) Extract the script(s)
  • 3) Move the script to the following location;
    /data/adb/service.d and give it the following & needed file permissions (0775)
  • 4) Reboot your phone, let Android boot to the launcher and let Magisk boot service do its crucial magic (takes a few seconds before the scripts is fully up and running around behind the scenes)
  • 5) Enjoy!

Telegram:
If you want to try out betas / previews of my script before they are officially released, or just hangout and chat a little, then join the official Telegram group here

Disclaimer:
This is presented as "what if". If this modification screws up or breaks anything for you, I am not the one to be held responsible. It's a free will to try out this kind of changes/modifications/addons/tweaks, just don't blame the inventors for eventual bad results and/or screw-ups.

Credits:
  • @pkgnex for inspiring me walking into this partially unknown territory.
  • @flar2 for his excellent EXKM application
  • @osm0sis for his Magisk Busybox module
  • Everyone that I've forgotten to mention here

To-Do list:
  • Optimize and properly tune things even further for best possible balance between battery life, system responsivness and performance

Contributors:
@xFirefly93

Created: 2019-11-03
Last updated: 2019-11-19
Attached Files
File Type: zip Version 1.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (10.3 KB, 36 views)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to xFirefly93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xFirefly93 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 10:29 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Timrå

Donate to Me
More
Update!

Note: It is recommended that you reboot your phone after you have applied v1.0 so the personal and fully customized changes takes full effect and is fully up & running as intended. Don't forget to also flash the Busybox Magisk module!

Version v1.0 (Initial release):
- Initial release for the whole Google Pixel 4 (XL) line-up
- Customizations for both performance and battery life
- Added a neat readme on how-to apply BlackenedMod
- Properly customized the filesystem mounts options for overall improved system responsivness and UI fluidity
- Blocked a couple fully safe-to-block kernel wakelocks
- Set Westwood as the default TCP congestion algorithm
- Enabled panel ULPS props (reduces power consumption)
- Adjusted IO block behaviour (improves UI responsivness)
- A few additional adjustments both here as well as there

If you optionally want to donate a beer or five as a way to show your appreciation for all the dedicated hours and work that I am putting into this mod on a daily rate - then this link is the way to go:

Donations

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Version 1.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.5 KB, 144 views)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xFirefly93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xFirefly93 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 11:20 AM |#3  
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 1,174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFirefly93

Update!

Note: It is recommended that you reboot your phone after you have applied v1.0 so the personal and fully customized changes takes full effect and is fully up & running as intended. Don't forget to also flash the Busybox Magisk module!

Version v1.0 (Initial release):
- Initial release for the whole Google Pixel 4 (XL) line-up
- Customizations for both performance and battery life
- Added a neat readme on how-to apply BlackenedMod
- Properly customized the filesystem mounts options for overall improved system responsivness and UI fluidity
- Blocked a couple fully safe-to-block kernel wakelocks
- Set Westwood as the default TCP congestion algorithm
- Enabled panel ULPS props (reduces power consumption)
- Adjusted IO block behaviour (improves UI responsivness)
- A few additional adjustments both here as well as there

If you optionally want to donate a beer or five as a way to show your appreciation for all the dedicated hours and work that I am putting into this mod on a daily rate - then this link is the way to go:

Donations

Enjoy!

Awesome dude. Great to see you here!! Are you sporting a shiny new 4XL yourself??
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberpodS2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CyberpodS2 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 11:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Timrå

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

Awesome dude. Great to see you here!! Are you sporting a shiny new 4XL yourself??

Yrp

A black 64gb P4XL here, what about you?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xFirefly93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xFirefly93 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 11:52 AM |#5  

More
Quote:

Haha, oh yes. I am.

A black 64gb P4XL, what about you?

White 128 4XL

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

I see the readme states we need to set permissions to 775 now. The OP still shows the 755.
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberpodS2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CyberpodS2 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 12:21 PM |#6  

More
Good so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191103-062004.png
Views:	934
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	4864993  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyberpodS2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CyberpodS2 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 12:30 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Timrå

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

White 128 4XL

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

I see the readme states we need to set permissions to 775 now. The OP still shows the 755.

Thanks, I forgot to change it.

My bad, it's fixed now.
The Following User Says Thank You to xFirefly93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xFirefly93 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 12:36 PM |#8  
Flag Johannesburg
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Looks like the old Pixel 2 XL crew is upgrading to the 4 XL. I'll have to get aboard that train soon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maverick Jester For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Maverick Jester Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 12:44 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Timrå

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Jester

Looks like the old Pixel 2 XL crew is upgrading to the 4 XL. I'll have to get aboard that train soon

Haha, indeed, though in my case - I've upgraded to a 3XL, 3a XL, Xperia 1 and 4XL the last ~5-6 months (which all of them are being pretty much used at a average daily rate), but my brand new 4XL is obviously my new daily driver.

It's worth mentioning that my dusty old Google Pixel 2 is though still running and running strong even now today.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xFirefly93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xFirefly93 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 12:54 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 6,468

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Jester

Old...in my case is definitely the operative word! 😁😎👍

Quote:

Haha, indeed, though in my case - I've upgraded to a 3XL, 3a XL, Xperia 1 and 4XL the last ~5-6 months (which all of them are being pretty much used at a average daily rate), but my brand new 4XL is obviously my new daily driver.

It's worth mentioning that my dusty old Google Pixel 2 is though still running and running strong even now today.

Dang ol friend, your definitely a gadget junkie! And we all thank you for that! 👍👌😎
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badger50 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Badger50 Ad-Free
3rd November 2019, 12:56 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Timrå

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger50

Dang ol friend, your definitely a gadget junkie! And we all thank you for that! 👍👌😎

Being a tech junkie isn't cheap, but it's hell a lot worth it!
The Following User Says Thank You to xFirefly93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xFirefly93 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)