FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

best manual camera for Google pixel 4 XL?

198 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By thepersona, Senior Member on 1st December 2019, 01:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just picked up a Google pixel 4 XL on an amazing deal! I'm just looking for suggestions from other pixel users specifically photographers on what the best manual camera app is that they've used in conjunction with g cam?

I've tested a few but everything I've shot with has resulted in grainy photos or horrible UI. If anyone can resent some suggestions I'm sure this would help out others as well.
1st December 2019, 04:27 AM |#2  
Flag Miami Gardens, Florida
Thanks Meter: 231

Donate to Me
More
Moment Pro Cam and Open Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2nd December 2019, 02:44 AM |#3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
For photos the gcam app is King from what I can tell, moment app is ok... If you want superior video control go for FilmicPro.
2nd December 2019, 05:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition49

For photos the gcam app is King from what I can tell, moment app is ok... If you want superior video control go for FilmicPro.

Have you used the moment app recently? I heard it's very buggy that's what's causing me not to pay for it to test out.

Also I'm not trying to shoot video in any way shape or form I'm just looking strictly for photography. But thanks for the suggestion.
2nd December 2019, 02:06 PM |#5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepersona

Have you used the moment app recently? I heard it's very buggy that's what's causing me not to pay for it to test out.

Also I'm not trying to shoot video in any way shape or form I'm just looking strictly for photography. But thanks for the suggestion.

The moment app is buggy, I emailed the devs and they say they are working on an update but couldn't give me a date, so it could be months before we see anything. I'd suggest shooting raw on gcam and playing with the photos in post. There may be something else out there I am unaware of
2nd December 2019, 02:20 PM |#6  
Flag Miami Gardens, Florida
Thanks Meter: 231

Donate to Me
More
Isn’t gcam the app that comes pre-installed on the device though or is there some modded version you are referring to that I’m obviously not aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2nd December 2019, 04:55 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition49

The moment app is buggy, I emailed the devs and they say they are working on an update but couldn't give me a date, so it could be months before we see anything. I'd suggest shooting raw on gcam and playing with the photos in post. There may be something else out there I am unaware of

I would use raw from the pixel Gcam however the resolution of all my images on raw is 600 x 800 rather than the original jpeg size of 2040 x 4040 etc. The raw is such a small size leaving me to not be able to use it if needed to print for portfolio etc

Is there a fix to increase the overall size of raw images to larger images or original sizes images like the jpeg counterpart?
2nd December 2019, 09:55 PM |#8  
Rockland, ME
Thanks Meter: 783

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepersona

I would use raw from the pixel Gcam however the resolution of all my images on raw is 600 x 800 rather than the original jpeg size of 2040 x 4040 etc. The raw is such a small size leaving me to not be able to use it if needed to print for portfolio etc

Is there a fix to increase the overall size of raw images to larger images or original sizes images like the jpeg counterpart?

I just took a picture in RAW and checked the Raw folder. The image I have is 4016 X 3008 at 13MB

Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-155338.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	4892515  
3rd December 2019, 02:12 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtroup64

I just took a picture in RAW and checked the Raw folder. The image I have is 4016 X 3008 at 13MB

I think I'm just slowly starting to figure out how the phone works. Because I looked at my raw folder the best images I took obviously didn't have raw shooting on so that sucked but

what I realized is that for some reason my phone doesn't take raw photos when in portrait mode (the raw plus JPEG option isn't even available). And that my files are previewed as originals in the photo app and then in the actual files app they're all small kilobytes size files. I did an 8 x zoom that turned out pretty well however that's like 930x688

As seen in the pic attached. I just took another pic and when looking at it it's full resolution and amazing quality yet when I look at it in the files app it's all grainy and

I Could have sworn when I did the 8 x zoom the final quality in the preview looked way better than how it turned out when I look through it now LOL.

Apologies for the rambling but those are two issues no. My phone not shooting raw all the time specifically when I use portrait mode. But also I can't seem to find my original raw files are not in the raw folder they're just thumbnails from what I can tell. No I'm not in the thumbnail folder LOL.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-201107.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	4892623  
3rd December 2019, 02:24 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtroup64

Here's my raw folder specifically look at the last 4 images. The aren't recent. And they're so small and pixelated no pun intended.

the photo that I attached in my earlier post above this isn't existent in that folder for some reason. The Spider-Man image below was taken like two minutes ago but for some reason there's only a JPEG of it I can't find a raw file and relating to my earlier post about my phone not always taking raw images.

Somebody can help me figure this stuff out it would save me a lot of headache and hassle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-202213.jpg
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	4892627   Click image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20191202201507871_COVER.jpg
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	4892633  
3rd December 2019, 05:02 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
I can't even upload the dng raw file to compare. the Raw file is substantially more grainy than the actual jpeg for some reason

2000x1496 for the raw file
3024x4032 for the exact same image in jpeg.

And much better quality on the joeg. I don't understand if this is normal or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191202_224230.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	4892701  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)