FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Anyone buy an Unlocked Pixel 4 Directly from Google and use AT&T?

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By legbuh, Member on 24th December 2019, 05:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am looking specifically for people that have purchased an unlocked Pixel 4 directly from Google and that use AT&T.

I've been through 2 phones now and it's telling me to contact XFinity and my AT&T sim isn't recognized. Even the e-Sim option only gives XFinity as an option.

So, if you purchased a new Pixel 4 (XL or not) from Google that was unlocked, put your sim from your old phone into it and had zero problems I'd like to hear from you. Google seems to be befuddled as to what could be the problem. I do have a case open with them, though.

I have a feeling they are shipping the wrong phones... but twice in a row? Maybe xfinity is trying to get new customers lol... my issue is AT&T is the only service that works well in my area.

Others are having the same issue with unlocked phones on Verizon as well.
24th December 2019, 05:34 PM |#2  
Flag Cleveland Tx
Thanks Meter: 503

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by legbuh

I am looking specifically for people that have purchased an unlocked Pixel 4 directly from Google and that use AT&T.

I've been through 2 phones now and it's telling me to contact XFinity and my AT&T sim isn't recognized. Even the e-Sim option only gives XFinity as an option.

So, if you purchased a new Pixel 4 (XL or not) from Google that was unlocked, put your sim from your old phone into it and had zero problems I'd like to hear from you. Google seems to be befuddled as to what could be the problem. I do have a case open with them, though.

I have a feeling they are shipping the wrong phones... but twice in a row? Maybe xfinity is trying to get new customers lol... my issue is AT&T is the only service that works well in my area.

I bought an unlocked Pixel 4XL but I bought it from bestbuy not directly from Google. It is not the AT&T branded phone, it's the actual unlocked Google version. While I was still in bestbuy I put my son from my Pixel 3 in it to verify that I would have any issues and everything worked out perfectly. Again I didn't get it straight from the Google store.

However when I bought my unlocked Pixel 3, I did order it directly from Google website and same thing. I took my AT&T sim out of my Pixel 2 and put it in the Pixel 3 and everything worked perfect.

Not sure if it matters, but since I travel a lot for work, I have the unlimited prepaid AT&T service (no contact).
24th December 2019, 05:40 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Yes, I've used pixels since the original nexus without issue. This one has me baffled.. Google too.
24th December 2019, 06:35 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 430

More
Have done this for ages. No issues. Went from 3XL to 4XL without issue as well, all works fine, including WiFi calling and HD Voice.

I would suggest getting a new SIM from AT&T.
24th December 2019, 06:39 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
The sim works in my pixel 1, 2, 3 and even my nexus 5x. I doubt it's the sim. The clue is that it's asking for xfinity, even for the e-sim option xfinity is the only one that it shows. All the e sim setup I've seen shows different carriers available.

My guess, they have a batch of pixel 4s tied to xfinity in the "unlocked" stack in the warehouse.
24th December 2019, 06:52 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Why would setting up an eSim only show this:

vs what is shown here:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/1...phones-launch/

Unless it was locked to Xfinity somehow?

Here's the error when inserting my sim:
24th December 2019, 09:05 PM |#7  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I got an unlocked pixel 4 xl directly from the google store, but i was using at&t prepaid (which is cricket wireless).... Only recently switched to verizon prepaid a few weeks ago. Both sims work just fine in my phone.

Not sure if this helps to identify the variant... but when I got the phone in Oct, the build ended in 007. You can also try typing in your IMEI # in the AT&T website to see if it's compatible. It should be compatible but it might give you some clues?
24th December 2019, 09:19 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_lithic3K

I got an unlocked pixel 4 xl directly from the google store, but i was using at&t prepaid (which is cricket wireless).... Only recently switched to verizon prepaid a few weeks ago. Both sims work just fine in my phone.

Not sure if this helps to identify the variant... but when I got the phone in Oct, the build ended in 007. You can also try typing in your IMEI # in the AT&T website to see if it's compatible. It should be compatible but it might give you some clues?

Thanks, Neo. I'm more convinced they got a bad batch of phones in the wrong area of the warehouse... I only am recently seeing these types of issues popping up now.. really only in the last week. I expect to see more. Google has already told me that I could return the phone but I already gave the free Home Net to my parents for Christmas and they're loving it. So I told Google I'd work with them and do anything to get it resolved short of that.

So far they've had me send some debug logs to them. I hope things get figured out.
24th December 2019, 09:50 PM |#9  
Saipan
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I had a Pixel 3 with a AT&T sim until I bought Pixel 4xl last Black Friday from Google and used my AT&T with no problem. same with other, i have wifi calling and HD voice and no issues. Anyone tried a esim from AT&T on Pixel 4xl?

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
24th December 2019, 09:53 PM |#10  
Flag The Woodlands, TX
Thanks Meter: 632

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by legbuh

Yes, I bought two unlocked P4 XL's from the Google store. My family has been on AT&T for many years. We just pulled the SIM's from the old P3 XL's and voila. Like others have said everything works. In your case, one phone? ok... but now two phones? I'd be up to AT&T getting a new SIM provisioned and not leave until it's fixed. It's free to you and will rule out the hardware. Is your plan post-pay or pre-pay? What are the first two digits of your IMEI's? What is your SKU?
24th December 2019, 10:04 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
First 2 digits are 35. It's post paid normal plan. We've been on AT&T for many years as well, dating back to before the original nexus phone (razr, krazr, even earlier than that!)

I don't believe it's AT&T's problem, but Google's. The phone seems to be only looking for XFinity sim or e-sim as shown in the pictures I posted.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
#pixel4 #at&t

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)