FORUMS

Editing Build.Prop with regards to WiFi hotspot

266 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By Light1984, Senior Member on 8th January 2020, 11:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello, recently got myself a new pixel 4 from Google and using it on Verizon without issue. I've yet to root but I'm getting ready to do it. From what I've read, it's a little bit of a pain once you root to get the monthly security updates installed, but I will probably do it anyways. The main thing I read is that you cant modify system files in any way. The main reason I want to root is for WiFi hotspot and maybe to run AdAway. AdAway can be used with systemless hosts once set on magisk, but the method for hotspot is as follows

Modify Build.Prop as follows
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true

And then adb shell
settings put global tether_dun_required 0

But if I run these commands in ADB won't I be modifying the system directly and therefore would be botching my phone from being able to take monthly security updates?

My last phone was an HTC 10 on Android 7... Soooo, this phone and the dual partition and Android 10 are all new to me. Apologize if this is an elementary question. I ultimately want WiFi hotspot, GPay, NetFlix, etc. and the ability to easily get security updates. Just not sure how to proceed. TIA.
26th March 2020, 12:49 PM |#2  
Maryland
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I don't think you can root Android 10 yet, right?
26th March 2020, 06:43 PM |#3  
Flag Jackson
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker

I don't think you can root Android 10 yet, right?

sure you can with magisk
28th March 2020, 12:38 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
The Magisk repository module "MagiskHide Props Config" will allow you to set arbitrary build.prop settings systemlessly.

I haven't been keeping up with the news, but you might want to do some research about GPay and SafetyCheck API always failing if your bootloader is unlocked by the user. (Google started using a capability they've had for years but did not use)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)