FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Any idea how to change screen calibration?

375 posts
Thanks Meter: 71

By dhorgas, Senior Member on 7th November 2019, 05:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
After November's patch we have 90Hz on all the time basically, but this also means that now the screen in dark mode is really green. Is there any way to adjust colour temperature on the Pixel 4 XL so as to correct this calibration mess? I know my S10+ can tweak colour temperature. The three available settings on Android 10 are not enough as there is no RGB adjustment.

Thanks all!

Edit: Just to be clear, rooting is not an option. Alternatively, if somebody knows where I can submit feedback to Google to resolve this horrible calibration that too would be appreciated. All grays are green. Ugh
7th November 2019, 07:06 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 867

More
You don't have 90 on all the time unless you've enabled developer and set it as such. The green occurs during the switching so you may want to consider enabling developer and turning on 90 all the time which can be done without root. I can say that it uses less battery than AOD (as an example) so it may be that this will fix the problem.
7th November 2019, 07:23 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Unfortunately your information is outdated. 90Hz is on all the time since November patch for the Pixel 4 XL except under some limited conditions when one is not interacting with the display. I also confirmed via UFO test. The only way to get rid of the severe green tinting is to turn off smooth display which is BS. Anyway, I've decided that this product, despite its stellar camera and great physical design is unfortunately too flawed.

Battery life is poor and anxiety inducing, the display is awful (green tint, severe black crush at lower brightness settings), and even Bluetooth functionality has issues. Sure, almost all of these can be fixed by software (except battery life) but that may never happen or may take months or years to materialize. Unfortunately for $1,500 CAD that's just not good enough. There is a lot I love about the phone but this display crap is the last straw for me. Maybe Pixel 5 will do better.

Very sad and disappointed
The Following User Says Thank You to dhorgas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhorgas Ad-Free
7th November 2019, 10:52 AM |#4  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,065

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorgas

severe black crush at lower brightness settings

Severe? Not for me. Compared it to my Pixel 2 XL with brightness set to 0 and I could see everything just fine on the 4 XL.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
7th November 2019, 12:25 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 523

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe

Severe? Not for me. Compared it to my Pixel 2 XL with brightness set to 0 and I could see everything just fine on the 4 XL.

Yup I agree. The black crush isn't severe at all and is the same as any oled at low brightness. The 2 XL was awful for black crush
7th November 2019, 03:03 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 7,736

More
Quote:

After November's patch we have 90Hz on all the time basically, but this also means that now the screen in dark mode is really green. Is there any way to adjust colour temperature on the Pixel 4 XL so as to correct this calibration mess? I know my S10+ can tweak colour temperature. The three available settings on Android 10 are not enough as there is no RGB adjustment.

Thanks all!

Edit: Just to be clear, rooting is not an option. Alternatively, if somebody knows where I can submit feedback to Google to resolve this horrible calibration that too would be appreciated. All grays are green. Ugh

There are a number of apps in the Playstore that can adjust display calibration. I used one in the early days of the Pixel 2 XL, and it worked well.
Having said that, if all greys are green, then maybe your phone is faulty and should be returned?

https://support.google.com/pixelphon...98243?hl=en-GB
7th November 2019, 04:05 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben_skelz92

Yup I agree. The black crush isn't severe at all and is the same as any oled at low brightness. The 2 XL was awful for black crush

Interesting perspectives. I had a feeling that there may perhaps be something wrong with my device at lower brightness seeing as I cannot fathom how DisplayMate could possibly rate the Pixel 4 XL display the way they did if the display was the way mine is. If you look at my post history as well I too praised the display at one point, but my praise was (in my case) misplaced if you take into account low brightness. This was, by far, the worst OLED I've used ever, which leads me to my comment below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerWeather

There are a number of apps in the Playstore that can adjust display calibration. I used one in the early days of the Pixel 2 XL, and it worked well.
Having said that, if all greys are green, then maybe your phone is faulty and should be returned?

https://support.google.com/pixelphon...98243?hl=en-GB

Ultimately this is what I decided to do. I cannot see how this can be normal. It is truly awful. I think you cannot appreciate just how awful it is because no amount of explanation here will quite paint the picture. Since I have the S10+ and the iPhone 11 Pro, I had put them side by side just to confirm I'm not somehow going crazy and biasing my opinion and the difference was so stark that it made the Pixel 4 XL look like it was a $200 budget phone. The Pixel 4 XL has no colour detail, suffers from terrible black crush, and is completely miscalibrated with all colours at low brightness tending to green.

Last but not least, those apps you mention are all filters. There is no way outside of rooting to actually adjust the RGB balance. For this expensive of a phone, that's just not acceptable and neither is waiting for the issue to be addressed.

I may try another Pixel 4 XL just to see how it compares but I do feel that this isn't as isolated as one may think.
7th November 2019, 04:25 PM |#8  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 69

More
It's very annoying. I manually disable Smooth display in the evenings now. Hoping Google can fix this.
7th November 2019, 04:32 PM |#9  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,065

More
Quote:

Interesting perspectives. I had a feeling that there may perhaps be something wrong with my device at lower brightness seeing as I cannot fathom how DisplayMate could possibly rate the Pixel 4 XL display the way they did if the display was the way mine is. If you look at my post history as well I too praised the display at one point, but my praise was (in my case) misplaced if you take into account low brightness. This was, by far, the worst OLED I've used ever, which leads me to my comment below...

Ultimately this is what I decided to do. I cannot see how this can be normal. It is truly awful. I think you cannot appreciate just how awful it is because no amount of explanation here will quite paint the picture. Since I have the S10+ and the iPhone 11 Pro, I had put them side by side just to confirm I'm not somehow going crazy and biasing my opinion and the difference was so stark that it made the Pixel 4 XL look like it was a $200 budget phone. The Pixel 4 XL has no colour detail, suffers from terrible black crush, and is completely miscalibrated with all colours at low brightness tending to green.

Last but not least, those apps you mention are all filters. There is no way outside of rooting to actually adjust the RGB balance. For this expensive of a phone, that's just not acceptable and neither is waiting for the issue to be addressed.

I may try another Pixel 4 XL just to see how it compares but I do feel that this isn't as isolated as one may think.

Yeah I don't know if you got a bad screen or what but it's amazingly better over the Pixel 2 XL other than brightness. When indoors and at similar brightness, it's very comparable to my wife's S9+.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
7th November 2019, 05:02 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 523

More
The screen is comparable to the OnePlus 7 pro just calibrated a bit different. Any phone or any oled you can get a crappy defective unit, it your not happy swap it out.

I do wish Google gave us more options like OnePlus to adjust the white point etc, that would solve things to some extent as most people prefer or are use to different white points

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

P.s you can root and put kiriskua kernel on and calibrate the screen white point, saturation etc

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Quote:

Yeah I don't know if you got a bad screen or what but it's amazingly better over the Pixel 2 XL other than brightness. When indoors and at similar brightness, it's very comparable to my wife's S9+.

The green in low brightness is a thing, but should only be really low brightness....does sound like yours is more defective than software
7th November 2019, 08:45 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds850

It's very annoying. I manually disable Smooth display in the evenings now. Hoping Google can fix this.

That's the part that I'm not willing to bet the $1,500 on. I guess I should also be clear that if I disable smooth display - that is I go back to 60Hz - the colour calibration issue is largely resolved. The colour reproduction and black crush are still there at very low or minimum brightness, but not as bad or as prominent as with the 90Hz calibration. This also does not affect the Pixel 4 devices the same because Pixel 4 (non-XL) reverts to 60Hz for any brightness lower than ~40% even after November patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben_skelz92

The screen is comparable to the OnePlus 7 pro just calibrated a bit different. Any phone or any oled you can get a crappy defective unit, it your not happy swap it out.

I do wish Google gave us more options like OnePlus to adjust the white point etc, that would solve things to some extent as most people prefer or are use to different white points

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

P.s you can root and put kiriskua kernel on and calibrate the screen white point, saturation etc

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

The green in low brightness is a thing, but should only be really low brightness....does sound like yours is more defective than software

Agreed on the "having more options". With that said, I only care about that because the display is as bad as it is at low brightness. If I have time tonight, while I still haven't sent the phone back, I may just try to do a side-by-side comparison for you guys with the S10+ and iPhone 11 Pro. The differences are truly night and day (no pun intended). I am so, so disappointed that this is even an issue. I genuinely enjoyed the Pixel experience way more than I liked any of my Android devices so far. I stayed away from generations 1-3 because I wanted them to find their groove and finally felt that this was the time to jump in, only to be disappointed again. I will likely try another device just to see if it makes a difference and just how much, but I doubt it will be much better. Just as an FYI, in a completely dark room I run my brightness at minimum setting since it reduces glare. A good, properly calibrated OLED should still be able to produce a decent picture. The Pixel 4 XL, my Pixel 4 XL, is far from decent.

Edit: By the way, here is one really good example of it from Reddit https://camo.githubusercontent.com/4...6237642e706e67. It's not my phone, but this is the exact issue. Look at the grays - they are literally green. Here is another set of reports from Reddit as well https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel...l_screen_tint/. I am going to try to do my own photos tonight to post here.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)