FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Any luck recovering deleted videos?

174 posts
Thanks Meter: 40
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Had some videos and photos I recorded yesterday for my daughter's first Christmas. My phone was running low on storage so I quickly deleted some older videos and everything was fine. Checked with Google Photos that all my vids were finished backing up, so today I went and removed them from my device storage. Now all my vids and photos from yesterday are gone. I checked the trash and nothing. I tried some recovery apps and no luck. I'm not even sure why they were deleted from Google Photos in the first place, maybe some bug being the phone was running so low on storage I received a warning??

Anyway, before rooting my phone.. which I rather not have to do..it's been years, but it seems these Recovery apps require root permission to scan deep for deleted files. I wanted to check if anybody had success recovering deleted videos or photos with one of these recovery apps.

Thanks
26th December 2019, 09:09 PM |#2  
EeZeEpEe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,147
 
More
Sorry to hear you lost your videos. Let me get this straight, you deleted old videos manually and not with the free up space option? Also, before you deleted you Christmas videos, how did you check the backup was complete? Did you tap your profile pic in the top right pic and see the following?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191226-150508.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	4911381Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191226-150726.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	4911383

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
26th December 2019, 09:24 PM |#3  
Cyber Warrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe

Sorry to hear you lost your videos. Let me get this straight, you deleted old videos manually and not with the free up space option? Also, before you deleted you Christmas videos, how did you check the backup was complete? Did you tap your profile pic in the top right pic and see the following?Attachment 4911381Attachment 4911383

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I manually deleted the videos the next day from the files folder on my phone... After seeing that Google photos had them backed up. So after deleting the videos in the files folder, afterwards I went back in just to take a look and Google photos and they all disappeared. And yes it said they were finished backing up. There's a spinning wheel next to the account picture that said everything was backed up.
26th December 2019, 09:26 PM |#4  
EeZeEpEe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,147
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior

I manually deleted the videos the next day from the files folder on my phone... After seeing that Google photos had them backed up. So after deleting the videos in the files folder, afterwards I went back in just to take a look and Google photos and they all disappeared. And yes it said they were finished backing up. There's a spinning wheel next to the account picture that said everything was backed up.

Okay good. Now are you looking for the videos under "Photos"? Because they would only appear there and not under the albums tab. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191226-152433.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	4911403

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
26th December 2019, 09:27 PM |#5  
Cyber Warrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Also some other pictures that I took a few days before the device full storage warning disappeared as well that were definitely already backed up to Google Photos. But at least I still have those on my wife's phone since she's the one that sent them to me. It's very strange, it's like some kind of glitch happened and all my photos from the last few days just disappeared. They were definitely all uploaded into Google Photos and finished backing up.
26th December 2019, 09:31 PM |#6  
Cyber Warrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe

Okay good. Now are you looking for the videos under "Photos"? Because they would only appear there and not under the albums tab. Attachment 4911403

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yes I checked everywhere. I even went through all the years of Google photos to see if maybe the time stamp got messed up and they were placed on another date.
26th December 2019, 09:32 PM |#7  
EeZeEpEe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,147
 
More
Oh and when you said you deleted them from the "files folder" was that from within Google Photos in the albums section or where you using the files app and file manage? Because if you deleted them from within the Google Photos albums section, you would've delete them from your backup. There's a notification on the backup warning that's what you're about to do. If you delete enough to put into the trash, there's a warning that it'll delete permanently because the trash is full.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191226-153124.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	4911409

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
26th December 2019, 09:36 PM |#8  
Cyber Warrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe

Oh and when you said you deleted them from the "files folder" was that from within Google Photos in the albums section or where you using the files app and file manage? Because if you deleted them from within the Google Photos albums section, you would've delete them from your backup. There's a notification on the backup warning that's what you're about to do. If you delete enough to put into the trash, there's a warning that it'll delete permanently because the trash is full.Attachment 4911409

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nope only deleted from the files folder on the phone. I accidentally did what you're talking about years ago and learned the hard way not to do that ever again lol. Because of that I'm actually very super careful when deleting photos and making sure things are backed up so that's why it's even more strange that all my photos from the last few days disappeared out of Google photos.
26th December 2019, 09:47 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Colton, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,395
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior

Nope only deleted from the files folder on the phone. I accidentally did what you're talking about years ago and learned the hard way not to do that ever again lol. Because of that I'm actually very super careful when deleting photos and making sure things are backed up so that's why it's even more strange that all my photos from the last few days disappeared out of Google photos.

I always just delete them from the device through the Photos app. I usually wait until the next day to delete photos.
26th December 2019, 09:50 PM |#10  
Cyber Warrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmaxx23

I always just delete them from the device through the Photos app. I usually wait until the next day to delete photos.

Sorry I wrote the wrong thing before, I actually did delete them from the Google photos app. By clicking on the menu and going to device folders. I was thinking of the files app because after the videos disappeared I went into the OEM files app on the phone to see if it was still there maybe.
26th December 2019, 09:55 PM |#11  
EeZeEpEe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,147
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior

Sorry I wrote the wrong thing before, I actually did delete them from the Google photos app. By clicking on the menu and going to device folders. I was thinking of the files app because after the videos disappeared I went into the OEM files app on the phone to see if it was still there maybe.

Yeah going for the device folders or albums is essentially the same thing but different view. If it was videos in the camera folder, which should be checked for backup, then it sounds like you deleted them from your account. And again, of it was a lot of videos like 1.5 GB, it would've told you that they'll be deleted permanently. I hope I'm wrong though course.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes