FORUMS

Anyone got OTA update for February update? I did not received one (root)

267 posts
Thanks Meter: 80

By tanipat, Senior Member on 9th February 2020, 01:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th February 2020, 06:55 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I did on Jan. 31. ATT pixel 4XL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200211-135452.png
Views:	342
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	4948263  
11th February 2020, 07:22 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 454

More
I've always had very spotty success receiving and completing OTA updates from Google when on a rooted phone. On my 3a XL, I've been successful taking an OTA update probably 2 out of 8 months. So I have become an expert in sideloading the update. (My family's two other 3a XLs receive updates immediately and have no trouble completing them, so it definitely related to the fact that I'm rooted - even though I uninstall Magisk prior to attempting an update).

I created a thread in the Pixel 3a forum with directions on how to sideload and root your phone, but I will simply post that information here.

To sideload an update, follow these instructions. - This will not factory reset your phone and you will not loose any data or files.
Optional Step 1 - Uninstall Magisk (so that it restores the stock boot.img). If you find yourself unable to boot into recovery, you will have to restore the stock boot.img. I've run into this issue on some Android 10 images, but not all.
Step 2 - Download to your computer the correct OTA image from here
Step 3 - Connect to your phone via ADB on your computer. You should see the device listed if you type the command "adb devices".
Step 4 - Boot your phone into recovery (type the command "adb reboot recovery").
Step 5 - The phone will have a green android robot with a red sign over it's open access panel. Press the power button and then the volume up button while still holding down the power button.
Step 6 - Select "Apply update from ADB" using the volume buttons to highlight the choice and the power button to select it to enter the sideload mode.
Step 7 - Using your computer, type "adb sideload ota_file.zip" where ota_file.zip is the name of the OTA file you downloaded in step 2.
Step 8 - Once the update finishes, reboot the phone to complete the update process. (The initial reboot can take some time as it has to optimize the apps behind the scenes, but it does so without the normal "Optimizing Apps" splash screen normally seen when taking an OTA update. Please be patient and let the phone finish the process. The more apps you have, the longer it may take. Do not force a reboot or turn it off during this initial boot).

After sideloading the OTA, you will have to reroot your phone using the magisk boot image patch installation method.
Step 1 - Obtain a stock boot.img file for the OS version/update that you are currently on. The easiest method is probably to download the applicable full stock image directly from Google. Unzip the files and unzip the second folder and you should find the boot.img file inside.
Step 2 - Copy the stock boot.img file to your phone's storage - probably to /sdcard or to /sdcard/downloads
Step 3 - Download and install the Magisk manager app on your phone. (link to the latest version can be found here). At one time early in the Android 10 cycle, users had to use the "Canary" Magisk builds. This is no longer true and you can use the stable version builds as long as it is version 20 or later. Of course users are still able to use the beta or Canary builds if they desire, but it is no longer a requirement.
Step 4 - Using the Magisk manager app, press "Install --> Install --> Select and Patch a File" - select the stock boot.img file that you put on your phone in step 2.
Step 5 - Magisk will modify the stock boot.img file and create a patched boot image file. It will save this modified file at "sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img"
Step 6 - Connect to your phone via ADB on your computer. You should see the device listed if you type the command "adb devices".
Step 7 - Copy the patched boot image from your device to your PC and the adb folder. If you can’t find the file on your phone via MTP or Windows Explorer, you can pull the file by typing the command "adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img"
Step 8 - Boot your phone into the bootloader (type the command "adb reboot bootloader").
Step 9 - Flash the patched boot image to your device using this command, "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img"
Step 10 - Reboot (using command "fastboot reboot").

I hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to sic0048 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sic0048 Ad-Free
12th February 2020, 02:54 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I haven't gotten the update on mine (generic Google 4 XL, not carrier tied) yet either for this month. A few days ago if I pressed the "Check for update" button, about every dozen or so tries it would flash for a second or two 'Preparing system update' and then go back to "Your system is up to date", of which it's not since it's on the Jan 2020 update. Is there a particular file or set of files that the local phone and it's OS compares to the 'big updater in the sky' and then if different (local date/time stamp older type thing) the update starts? I'm looking for a way to manipulate a local file to force the OTA so I don't have to mess with the downloading and sideloading of the OTA and rerooting, it's just so nice to have Magisk do all that for me. I've done the sideload plenty of times, I'd just rather not have to do it.

Any ideas or suggestions?
12th February 2020, 03:42 PM |#14  
Forum Moderator
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 7,818

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YDBB

I haven't gotten the update on mine (generic Google 4 XL, not carrier tied) yet either for this month. A few days ago if I pressed the "Check for update" button, about every dozen or so tries it would flash for a second or two 'Preparing system update' and then go back to "Your system is up to date", of which it's not since it's on the Jan 2020 update. Is there a particular file or set of files that the local phone and it's OS compares to the 'big updater in the sky' and then if different (local date/time stamp older type thing) the update starts? I'm looking for a way to manipulate a local file to force the OTA so I don't have to mess with the downloading and sideloading of the OTA and rerooting, it's just so nice to have Magisk do all that for me. I've done the sideload plenty of times, I'd just rather not have to do it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

If your rooted, the system OTA will fail. Your only options are to side load the OTA, try the magisk OTA update method, or fastboot the factory image.
12th February 2020, 03:56 PM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger50

If your rooted, the system OTA will fail. Your only options are to side load the OTA, try the magisk OTA update method, or fastboot the factory image.

That's not what I've experienced. I had been using an Essential PH-1 (actually have two of them) and Magisk and every month Essential would put out the update as soon as, or frequently even a day or two sooner than google, and I simply did the 'Release Images' in Magisk, did the OTA and then the 'install Magisk to inactive slot' and reboot and I always stayed rooted and up to date. I got the Pixel 4 XL in November sometime and for the first two monthly updates (-> Dec 2019 and Jan 2020) the same process worked fine. Only now with the Feb 2020 update out there it's not taking / recognizing that it's there.

I did about a week ago see there was a Google Play system update that was pending and did it, and did the required reboot after. That didn't 'unroot' me. I'm wondering if that Google Play system update messed something up?
12th February 2020, 04:56 PM |#16  
Forum Moderator
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 7,818

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YDBB

That's not what I've experienced. I had been using an Essential PH-1 (actually have two of them) and Magisk and every month Essential would put out the update as soon as, or frequently even a day or two sooner than google, and I simply did the 'Release Images' in Magisk, did the OTA and then the 'install Magisk to inactive slot' and reboot and I always stayed rooted and up to date. I got the Pixel 4 XL in November sometime and for the first two monthly updates (-> Dec 2019 and Jan 2020) the same process worked fine. Only now with the Feb 2020 update out there it's not taking / recognizing that it's there.

I did about a week ago see there was a Google Play system update that was pending and did it, and did the required reboot after. That didn't 'unroot' me. I'm wondering if that Google Play system update messed something up?

GPS system updtae usually doesn't mess with anything root At least it didn't on my P2XL & 4XL.. Monthly security updates are a diffent story though on pixel devices where root is concerned.
12th February 2020, 06:33 PM |#17  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 4,659

More
Still no OTA eithers. Don't want to side load either. I'm on QQ1B.200105.004. Anybody on this build get it?
12th February 2020, 06:42 PM |#18  
Flag Odessa
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMod777

Still no OTA eithers. Don't want to side load either. I'm on QQ1B.200105.004. Anybody on this build get it?

Me neither
12th February 2020, 10:02 PM |#19  

More
I'm currently on the same QQ1B.200105.004 build. They (google) did the same thing (a long delay into the month) this past month, hopefully not a recurring theme.
14th February 2020, 04:12 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMod777

Same build, no OTA may be this could force me to do sideload update which terrible
14th February 2020, 04:43 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanipat

Same build, no OTA may be this could force me to do sideload update which terrible

Same here.

OTAs up to January 2020 worked all fine. Suddenly it doesn't detect any OTAs anymore.

Pixel 4 XL, Rooted with Magisk.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)