FORUMS

First Pixel Device

575 posts
Thanks Meter: 86

By mushtafa, Senior Member on 14th February 2020, 09:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm swaying between this and the OnePlus 7T Pro.

Being a Pixel phone, am I free to unlock the bootloader and root it? If so, will Google Pay still work?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to mushtafa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mushtafa Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 09:10 AM |#2  
You can do it , but it will break the gpay but there is workaround for that

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
14th February 2020, 10:26 AM |#3  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 664

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushtafa

Being a Pixel phone, am I free to unlock the bootloader and root it? If so, will Google Pay still work?

Thanks

Yes
14th February 2020, 09:36 PM |#4  
Flag The Woodlands, TX
Thanks Meter: 636

More
Quote:

Being a Pixel phone, am I free to unlock the bootloader and root it? If so, will Google Pay still work? Thanks

Yours is a two part question. The second part is a definite yes. The first part depends on which phone you buy. You have to be careful that the phone you end up with can be bootloader unlocked. There are many vendors selling phones that are carrier unlocked but cannot be bootloader unlocked. They advertise them as "unlocked". If you are able to buy directly from the Google Store there will be no question that it will work anywhere in the world and the bootloader can be unlocked. If you get the correct one you will not be disappointed!
14th February 2020, 10:21 PM |#5  
Flag Jackson
Thanks Meter: 165

More
what @v12xke said.
if you buy from swappa make sure the bootloader is unlockable have them check if the OEM setting is active or grayed out in developer settings.
14th February 2020, 11:10 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag West Sussex, UK

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12xke

Yours is a two part question. The second part is a definite yes. The first part depends on which phone you buy. You have to be careful that the phone you end up with can be bootloader unlocked. There are many vendors selling phones that are carrier unlocked but cannot be bootloader unlocked. They advertise them as "unlocked". If you are able to buy directly from the Google Store there will be no question that it will work anywhere in the world and the bootloader can be unlocked. If you get the correct one you will not be disappointed!

Is there anyway of knowing before purchase? Will be from Vodafone UK
14th February 2020, 11:15 PM |#7  
Flag Edinburgh

More
Quote:

Should be fine, it's US carriers that commonly have the issue
15th February 2020, 12:00 AM |#8  
Flag The Woodlands, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackay53

Should be fine, it's US carriers that commonly have the issue

Said the guys using EE.... It was just a heads up to a guy new to the Google line.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote:

I'm U.S. based so cannot speak to buying a phone from a UK carrier. I know EE is locked for the first six months and then you have to get a code to unlock it. You could also just buy it direct from Google UK. If you need to finance, they probably have better terms and you will have better customer service and warranty experience? If they let you handle a phone, you can quickly enable developer options and check the "Allow OEM unlocking" setting. If it is grayed out or you cannot toggle it unlocked, then the phone cannot be unlocked as-is. Do a search for this developer option and you will quickly see how to access.
15th February 2020, 10:41 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag West Sussex, UK

More
Thanks for that, I might look into buying it outright.

If I go for Vodafone, they allow returns within 14 days.
15th February 2020, 11:37 AM |#10  
Flag Edinburgh

More
Quote:

Thanks for that, I might look into buying it outright.

If I go for Vodafone, they allow returns within 14 days.

Just order it through a website like buymobiles etc.

They'll normally just give you a Carrier unlocked one and include the SIM card
16th February 2020, 01:55 AM |#11  
Flag The Woodlands, TX

More
Quote:

Thanks for that, I might look into buying it outright. If I go for Vodafone, they allow returns within 14 days.

You don't have to buy it outright from Google, you can finance it through them as well. Here in the U.S. Google has a 15 day no questions asked return policy for a full refund (or exchange). Don't know how it works in the UK. Warning: Carrier unlocked is NOT the same as bootloader unlockable. No Pixel comes BL unlocked out of the box. There is a setting in Developer options that must be toggled on first to allow unlocking. Trouble is, this setting is only available on certain phones. You could easily buy a phone that will work on any carrier (carrier unlocked), but cannot be BL unlocked. Best of luck and let us know what you ended up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200215-184918.png
Views:	106
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	4951491  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)