FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Smart watch

629 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By mobgod, Senior Member on 14th January 2020, 03:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
What do you guys suggest? Anyone here or the T1 Tacital watch? Sorry to part question

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Space Technology
14th January 2020, 07:55 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
I use my Galaxy S3 Classic with it without any issues. It's an older smartwatch but in the world of Android smartwatches still one of the best available options. I briefly owned the newer version of Samsung's offering, the stainless steel variant of the Active2 watch, but I found that it didn't offer much if anything in terms of improvements to the S3 Classic, while sacrificing a lot in design and practicability of the UX.
14th January 2020, 02:39 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 899

More
For Android you'll want to go with one of the new offerings with the gig of RAM, makes a huge difference in the GUI where they are vastly more smooth in operation. I'd set my sights on either the Gen 5 or TicWatch Pro. The Samsung devices work better with Samsung phones but still work ok with other android phones and have much better battery life but you give up all the options Wear brings with it. There are often big sales on smartwatches, often enough I'd consider it worth defining which one I wanted and waiting for a good sale to pick it up.
14th January 2020, 11:56 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabman

For Android you'll want to go with one of the new offerings with the gig of RAM, makes a huge difference in the GUI where they are vastly more smooth in operation. I'd set my sights on either the Gen 5 or TicWatch Pro. The Samsung devices work better with Samsung phones but still work ok with other android phones and have much better battery life but you give up all the options Wear brings with it. There are often big sales on smartwatches, often enough I'd consider it worth defining which one I wanted and waiting for a good sale to pick it up.

I'm curious - what options is he giving up because my understanding is that Wear watches are literally the worst wearables out there with the least useful features. Samsung devices are regarded as only second to Apple and work with any Android device. Genuine question.
15th January 2020, 12:32 AM |#5  

More
Nah, the feature set was never the problem, it was the performance and poor battery life. I haven't owned an Apple watch and I'm not going to as the iphone is an answer to a question I never asked. Being as it's not a part of this discussion or going to be used on this phone I think we can set it aside. The Sammy offerings have much better battery life, it's not even close, and that is their primary benefit. They did also have far better performance but that has changed so long as you get one of the new offerings with a gig of RAM. Now the performance is much closer although I'd still give the nod to the Samsung devices. It is close enough however that it becomes a matter of features and available apps to my mind unless you have a Samsung phone and use their apps, in that case I'd go all in with Samsung. Now that wear can legitimately make it through a long day of use before it needs to go on the charger and the sluggish performance has been fixed wear becomes much more compelling than it once was. You have many more apps, watch faces, etc. Integration with Google maps is much better which is a big plus if you travel.

There was a reason why I mentioned both, Google essentially gives you options that you cant get with Samsung, the Samsung still has much better battery life and it's tight integration makes it better on Samsung devices but still good on other android phones if you're not missing any apps that you could have had on wear. It's something a user needs to make some calls on in terms of what they want. The only absolute mistake you can make here in my opinion is getting an older wear device without the extra ram, you want the 3100 and the 1 gig; that's a must have.
The Following User Says Thank You to krabman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krabman Ad-Free
15th January 2020, 01:33 AM |#6  
Flag Newark, DE - originally from Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 293

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgod

What do you guys suggest? Anyone here or the T1 Tacital watch? Sorry to part question

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Space Technology

I'm using a Fitbit Versa 2 & have been very satisfied with it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
15th January 2020, 08:06 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabman

Nah, the feature set was never the problem, it was the performance and poor battery life. I haven't owned an Apple watch and I'm not going to as the iphone is an answer to a question I never asked. Being as it's not a part of this discussion or going to be used on this phone I think we can set it aside. The Sammy offerings have much better battery life, it's not even close, and that is their primary benefit. They did also have far better performance but that has changed so long as you get one of the new offerings with a gig of RAM. Now the performance is much closer although I'd still give the nod to the Samsung devices. It is close enough however that it becomes a matter of features and available apps to my mind unless you have a Samsung phone and use their apps, in that case I'd go all in with Samsung. Now that wear can legitimately make it through a long day of use before it needs to go on the charger and the sluggish performance has been fixed wear becomes much more compelling than it once was. You have many more apps, watch faces, etc. Integration with Google maps is much better which is a big plus if you travel.

There was a reason why I mentioned both, Google essentially gives you options that you cant get with Samsung, the Samsung still has much better battery life and it's tight integration makes it better on Samsung devices but still good on other android phones if you're not missing any apps that you could have had on wear. It's something a user needs to make some calls on in terms of what they want. The only absolute mistake you can make here in my opinion is getting an older wear device without the extra ram, you want the 3100 and the 1 gig; that's a must have.

This is really good feedback. Maybe I should look at some Android Wear options again. I extended the life of my S3 by replacing the battery, and it is still a stellar option but one thing I always disliked was poor integration with Google Maps (relies or 3rd party app). It would be much better to have something native, closer to what one would encounter on an Apple Watch.
15th January 2020, 11:56 PM |#8  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,147

More
The Gen 5 is pretty good especially if you can get it for less than regular. It was $172 a few weeks ago on Amazon. I've had it since August and it's not perfect but I think very good. Battery isn't an issue for me as I just top off in the morning while getting ready and when I get home from work, a good 14-15 hours later with usually 40% or so to spare.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
16th January 2020, 06:12 PM |#9  
St Louis
Thanks Meter: 220

More
I've had the Sammy s2 and s3, and I DID like them a lot, at least at first. They were smooth and the battery life was good, but, the OS and features seemed pretty basic. I hated the workout app, and the only other offerings were terrible. Also, Samsung support suuuccckkks... It was like talking so someone who was just hired and had no idea what they were talking about.

Anyway, I have a Fossil Q Explorist 4 HR and I love it. It IS a little jittery sometimes, so you should definitely go with a gen 5, but it's great. Tons of apps to choose from, it looks great (I wear it to the office even), and battery life is almost on par with the s3. I take it off the charger at around 6:30am and at 10pm I typically have 40-ish% left. It would certainly last a full day.
17th January 2020, 06:49 PM |#10  

More
One word of warning if someone might be setting their sights on a Ticwatch Pro: Get the LTE even if you don't want to use LTE because it has the extra RAM, the older version that is not LTE does not have it and it suffers from the sluggish GUI problem that all Wear watches had up until the recent offerings with the upped RAM. I know it's tempting because the LTE version is more expensive but you really, really, want that RAM, it completely alters the user experience while manipulating the GUI. Much, much smoother, apps load faster, etc.
18th January 2020, 11:31 AM |#11  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Pebble Time Steel in Gold! Until a watch that can match the battery life (10 days!) + features comes along, I'll be sticking with my Pebble. Recently picked up another Gold, because my 4 year old one finally had the battery worn out too much, and also got a black one too.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)