FORUMS

Upgrading the internal battery

124 posts
Thanks Meter: 160

By 1dopewrx05, Senior Member on 21st May 2020, 12:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm curious if anyone on here has tried opening their phone up to swap the battery with an upgraded mAh cell? There are 4,220mAh upgrade batteries all over eBay and I'm really about to pull the trigger on one of them. If it fits and works properly, that is a pretty substantial upgrade in screen on time daily and the difference between me having to charge one to two times in the middle of the day versus being able to go the whole day on the initial charge.
21st May 2020, 01:16 AM |#2  
San Jose
Thanks Meter: 402

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dopewrx05

I'm curious if anyone on here has tried opening their phone up to swap the battery with an upgraded mAh cell? There are 4,220mAh upgrade batteries all over eBay and I'm really about to pull the trigger on one of them. If it fits and works properly, that is a pretty substantial upgrade in screen on time daily and the difference between me having to charge one to two times in the middle of the day versus being able to go the whole day on the initial charge.

Just cause the listing and label on the battery says a capacity doesn't mean that's true. I wouldn't risk putting in a 3rd party battery that costs $20 (for example) into a $600+ phone
The Following User Says Thank You to tlxxxsracer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tlxxxsracer Ad-Free
21st May 2020, 01:26 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlxxxsracer

Just cause the listing and label on the battery says a capacity doesn't mean that's true. I wouldn't risk putting in a 3rd party battery that costs $20 (for example) into a $600+ phone

Well I mean that's a given with anything you buy on the internet without seeing it first. As for the price of it, a genuine OEM Pixel 4 battery is $25-$30 so I'm not put off by the $10 difference in price. I also am not going to be relying on the battery if I try it, as in if it turns out to be a dud I would just immediately swap back in the OEM battery and take the little $20 hit but I think its Worth trying with the current risk to benefit comparison and if it ends up being truthful, even if it's not 4220mAh but more than the OEM 3700mAh it would be a win in my book for the price. I have an inline USB meter I can throw between the charger and phone to measure how many milliamp hours the battery actually took.
21st May 2020, 09:50 AM |#4  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 695

More
If you need to upgrade battery to get more screen time each day then you're using your phone too much lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Mackay53 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mackay53 Ad-Free
21st May 2020, 04:34 PM |#5  
Flag The Woodlands, TX
Thanks Meter: 644

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dopewrx05

After my experiences with purchasing piss poor quality aftermarket batteries off Ebay and elsewhere (N6P), I would not recommend it. For the same price you can buy a PD power bank that will fast charge your device anywhere you don't have a charger handy. That and you won't break the back glass. Of course, it would be a totally different story if your battery has somehow degraded tremendously and is now defective. I'd be curious to know what your current battery capacity is using Accubattery. When I bought my P4XL, it was 103%. 6 months later it was 98%. If your battery capacity is still 90-95% I would look at a decent PD power bank and not crack the case open. Even if you pay someone to do the work and get a warranty, your phone will never be the same. Best of luck.
22nd May 2020, 04:34 AM |#6  
Portland
Thanks Meter: 54

Donate to Me
More
I would think that a battery that's 500mah bigger might not be able to fit in the phone... Chances are that the battery will just be a low quality replacement.
22nd May 2020, 09:01 AM |#7  
Flag Saint James
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackay53

If you need to upgrade battery to get more screen time each day then you're using your phone too much lol

According to accubattery I currently have 12 hours and 25 minutes of screen on time. I dont know about anyone else but that is really good in my book and more than enough. My battery is reading 103% capacity.
I never fast charge my phone unless I forget to charge it overnight and I am leaving the house soon then I throw it on the original charger. And I almost never charge past 80%. I actually use a device called chargie that slow charges my phone overnight. It completely shuts down the charger at 80 allows the phone to discharge to 76 and kicks back on and goes back to 80. My battery only goes up about 10 degrees F while charging. And I have it set to shut off the charger if my battery reaches 110 degrees F. I really plan on keeping this phone for at least 3 years (since I have a family and I have to be a big boy and put food on the table now) No more getting the newest phone for me every year.
Yesterday, 10:25 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackay53

Well, considering my phone is used for all traditional purposes (YouTube, social media, email, web browsing) along with the fact that I run my business from my phone, you wouldn't be wrong, but it is essential and serves it's purpose. Any extra sot I can get is a huge plus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12xke

After my experiences with purchasing piss poor quality aftermarket batteries off Ebay and elsewhere (N6P), I would not recommend it. For the same price you can buy a PD power bank that will fast charge your device anywhere you don't have a charger handy. That and you won't break the back glass. Of course, it would be a totally different story if your battery has somehow degraded tremendously and is now defective. I'd be curious to know what your current battery capacity is using Accubattery. When I bought my P4XL, it was 103%. 6 months later it was 98%. If your battery capacity is still 90-95% I would look at a decent PD power bank and not crack the case open. Even if you pay someone to do the work and get a warranty, your phone will never be the same. Best of luck.

Yeah I feel what you're saying, the one reason I haven't already dove right in and tried is the splitting the case open. I have don't it once before on a P4, my last one had some issues and I was able to open it up before sending it back to Google to be RMA'd.
I do in fact have a 10,000mAh PD power bank, I bought it within the first week of upgrading from my P2 to my P4. It works fine and is a great solution but obviously being able to fix the root problem would be better if possible. The power bank is along the lines of a bandaid for the problem but seems to be my only logical choice for now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)