Can't verify face. Try again

Search This thread

czonin

Apr 5, 2010
Astoria, NY
I've had a Pixel 4 XL since launch and just did a fresh install of the December update. Now my face unlock no longer works. I get "Can't verify face. Try again" every time. I've tried deleting face data and setting it up again and numerous reboots. Any ideas?

pwnsicle

Feb 10, 2008
New Orleans
I'm no expert on the matter but I had to do a factory reset to get it to work again. Maybe flashing the boot.img from the December update might do it

I've had a Pixel 4 XL since launch and just did a fresh install of the December update. Now my face unlock no longer works. I get "Can't verify face. Try again" every time. I've tried deleting face data and setting it up again and numerous reboots. Any ideas?

You might have the wrong update version installed. This happened to me with the Nov releases. Try flashing a different version. I'm willing to bet it fixes it.

czonin

Apr 5, 2010
Astoria, NY
You might have the wrong update version installed. This happened to me with the Nov releases. Try flashing a different version. I'm willing to bet it fixes it.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Trying a different version now.

Edit: I was on the wrong version but i've flashed the correct one and re-setup face unlock and it still isn't working.

Last edited:

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
Ya I couldn't find any way to fix it. Ended up having to factory reset and it's all working now.

I'm having the same issue but I think I'd rather live without Face Unlock than have to do a factory reset, re-root, etc. Back to the pattern for me!

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

I'm having the same issue but I think I'd rather live without Face Unlock than have to do a factory reset, re-root, etc. Back to the pattern for me!

Never mind. It was Elemental X kernel that broke Face Unlock. I flashed another kernel and Face Unlock is working again. :good:

wrongway213

Recognized Dev & Contributor / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 27, 2014
Canton, OH
Google Pixel 7
I had to factory reset to fix this. No flashing stock dtbo, stock boot image, or even reflashing stock factory images worked. Even with the -w I had no face unlock. I had to factory reset again after flashing factory images with the -w flag to fix it. It works now though.

Reactions: rickysidhu_

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Same thing here. Unlock was working well right up until I flashed the Dec. update. I'm on 191205.012.A1 build for AT&T (my carrier). Stock, rooted, ex kernel. I'm going to try the stock boot image route when I get home tonight. What a PITA. :mad:

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Never mind. It was Elemental X kernel that broke Face Unlock. I flashed another kernel and Face Unlock is working again. :good:
Which kernel did you switch to? There isn't an EX Kernel thread for the P4 XL (yet) to corroborate and report this. Mentioning @flar2 in hopes he sees this and can look into it.

EDIT: Flashing Kirisakura kernel 2.1.0 restored face recognition using my existing face profile.

Last edited:

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
Which kernel did you switch to? There isn't an EX Kernel thread for the P4 XL (yet) to corroborate and report this. Mentioning @flar2 in hopes he sees this and can look into it.

EDIT: Flashing Kirisakura kernel 2.1.0 restored face recognition using my existing face profile.

Yup - that's exactly what I did as well. Worked like a charm. I'm waiting to see if another EX Kernel version comes out soon (keeping track on the EX app itself).

HisokaJ

Jul 27, 2012

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Thanks a lot, tonyfiore75!
Somehow I wanted to do a backup of the stock kernel before flashing Elementalx after flashing Dec 2019 update. Restored and face unlock works again!

Reactions: tonyfiore75

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
I had to factory reset to fix this. No flashing stock dtbo, stock boot image, or even reflashing stock factory images worked. Even with the -w I had no face unlock. I had to factory reset again after flashing factory images with the -w flag to fix it. It works now though.
Same thing for me :cowboy:

Flashed Dec update with factory images and it broke face unlock. Had to factory reset through the app settings to get it working again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ya I couldn't find any way to fix it. Ended up having to factory reset and it's all working now.

Same here. Went to factory kernel and all is well.

Thanks a lot, tonyfiore75!
    Somehow I wanted to do a backup of the stock kernel before flashing Elementalx after flashing Dec 2019 update. Restored and face unlock works again!
    I was following the instructions to remove the SQLite3 and GPay Fix Magisk Module so I could flash the kirisukra kernel and hopefully get face unlock working again. However, after deleting the data for Google Play Services, Google Play Store and Google Pay and rebooting face unlock started working again... Didn't even have to flash the kernel.