FORUMS

Where's the Android 9, 2 button navigation option?

3,973 posts
Thanks Meter: 813

By Zorachus, Senior Member on 30th October 2019, 08:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Been trying hard to get used to the gesture navigation the past week I've had my Pixel 4 XL, but so used to a dedicated Back button, it's one of the things I've always liked about Android going back a decade, of always having a back button, and one of the reasons I hate iPhone, because they never had one.

Swiping to go back is the dumbest ****ing idea ever. So stupid. Like when in Messages, I'll swipe to go back, but then erase a text by accident. Or having to swipe more than once to have it actually work.

I liked the Android 9, two button navigation, wish we could go back to that. Right now I went old school to the 3 button nav, it's ok, and it sure as hell is quicker and works every time, compared to the lame gesture based navigation. But of the three, I prefer the Android 9 version best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zorachus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zorachus Ad-Free
30th October 2019, 09:19 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorachus

Been trying hard to get used to the gesture navigation the past week I've had my Pixel 4 XL, but so used to a dedicated Back button, it's one of the things I've always liked about Android going back a decade, of always having a back button, and one of the reasons I hate iPhone, because they never had one.

Swiping to go back is the dumbest ****ing idea ever. So stupid. Like when in Messages, I'll swipe to go back, but then erase a text by accident. Or having to swipe more than once to have it actually work.

I liked the Android 9, two button navigation, wish we could go back to that. Right now I went old school to the 3 button nav, it's ok, and it sure as hell is quicker and works every time, compared to the lame gesture based navigation. But of the three, I prefer the Android 9 version best.

what he said
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biTToe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biTToe Ad-Free
30th October 2019, 09:52 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Only the 3 and 3 XL has this option, the 4 and 4 XL does not.
30th October 2019, 09:56 PM |#4  
Flag Windsor, Ontario
Thanks Meter: 1,058

More
It's gone. And that's probably because so many people bitched about it being half baked so I can't blame them for removing it.
30th October 2019, 10:22 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
There is this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...49&postcount=2

It's 3-button but it works like a charm

biTToe
31st October 2019, 12:04 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:

Settings, system, gestures, system navigation.....
31st October 2019, 12:17 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lombard, IL.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoonie

Settings, system, gestures, system navigation.....

Only two options there:

iPhone like gesture
Old 3 button layout

Where's the 2 button Android 9 navigation I have on my Pixel 3 XL?
31st October 2019, 03:59 AM |#8  
Flag Windsor, Ontario

More
Quote:

Only two options there:

iPhone like gesture
Old 3 button layout

Where's the 2 button Android 9 navigation I have on my Pixel 3 XL?

ITS GONE!!! pixel 4 ditched it. Rightfully so.
31st October 2019, 05:14 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lombard, IL.

More
my beef with the gesture navigation, is the lack of no Back key. And when in the Messages app, when I swipe back to go the home screen, half the time I need to swipe twice, or many times it erases a message, and I have to press Undo to bring back
The Following User Says Thank You to Zorachus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zorachus Ad-Free
31st October 2019, 10:47 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 445

More
Quote:

my beef with the gesture navigation, is the lack of no Back key. And when in the Messages app, when I swipe back to go the home screen, half the time I need to swipe twice, or many times it erases a message, and I have to press Undo to bring back

Sounds like you're trying to perform the back gesture where the keyboard is. Try doing in above the keyboard so it doesn't do any actions on your keyboard. Personally I switched to fluid navigation gestures because they offer more customization for where the gestures can be performed along with additional features.
31st October 2019, 10:48 PM |#11  
Flag Windsor, Ontario

More
Quote:

Lol I've done that in the message app too. They seriously need to allow us to disable swipe to archive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bwyan Benton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bwyan Benton Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)