FORUMS

Improve face unlock

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By nguaogioi, Junior Member on 23rd June 2020, 06:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone have problem with face unlock about bad angles or not working under bright sunlight! Just set up face unlock under direct sunlight! make sure sunlight sight direct into your face when setting up. Hope that's helpful, it works for me at least

Ps: if you are wearing glasses, put them on when setup.
23rd June 2020, 06:31 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,261
 
More
My biggest issue with face unlock is random challenge to unlock with PIN for "added security".

I say random because I've not rebooted the phone. The message is different when rebooting. I've sent numerous feedback with logs to Google but Google doesn't respond to feedback. I have no idea why this happens. It's annoying. This can happen as often as once a day at random unless I'm missing the reason for it. Maybe it works for days without error. Maybe this is required at intervals I've not recognized?

Patterns I've noticed otherwise include a pause to unlock when I grab my phone and it's upside down. It usually gives me time to recognize this and get screen upright. My phone is usually on a stand upright in portrait mode so it's rare that I pick it up with screen not orientated correctly.

I've not tried setting up face unlock in bright setting though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
23rd June 2020, 06:41 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samep

My biggest issue with face unlock is random challenge to unlock with PIN for "added security".

I say random because I've not rebooted the phone. The message is different when rebooting. I've sent numerous feedback with logs to Google but Google doesn't respond to feedback. I have no idea why this happens. It's annoying. This can happen as often as once a day at random unless I'm missing the reason for it. Maybe it works for days without error. Maybe this is required at intervals I've not recognized?

Patterns I've noticed otherwise include a pause to unlock when I grab my phone and it's upside down. It usually gives me time to recognize this and get screen upright. My phone is usually on a stand upright in portrait mode so it's rare that I pick it up with screen not orientated correctly.

I've not tried setting up face unlock in bright setting though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

your problems is totally different with what I mean to. However, It think your problem could be from software or setting. you would reset your phone. And if that keep going, using google warranty is best choice.
23rd June 2020, 08:12 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,261
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguaogioi

your problems is totally different with what I mean to. However, It think your problem could be from software or setting. you would reset your phone. And if that keep going, using google warranty is best choice.

Thanks. I should talk to Google Pixel support again. I've been reluctant since they couldn't resolve an issue with Google Home app. They referred me to Google Home app support but they kept getting stuck on the fact they support hardware, not the app. I could link Google and Philips Hue but couldn't add Philips Hue to Google Home app. Failing every time.

Long story but the mobile apps kept telling me that that there was an issue getting provider information for Philips Hue. Yet it went through all the steps and failed at the end, never adding Philips Hue. This once worked until it stopped; nothing I was doing was working, even asking Google and Philips for support was pointless with them refusing to talk to each other or continue support with me until resolution. One day my phone had a notification to control my lights and the linking and final step worked that time. I followed the notification and seemingly skipped several steps I've went through to failure but this time everything went as expected and I can control my lights again. Finally! What was the issue? Google won't say but I suspect they discovered it long after I gave up. Months!

I've seen face unlock improvements in the notes of the monthly updates so I've thought Google is aware but like before, not on my timetable. Low priority. With my past slate now clean, start a new one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
23rd June 2020, 10:06 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 165
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samep

My biggest issue with face unlock is random challenge to unlock with PIN for "added security".

I say random because I've not rebooted the phone. The message is different when rebooting. I've sent numerous feedback with logs to Google but Google doesn't respond to feedback. I have no idea why this happens. It's annoying. This can happen as often as once a day at random unless I'm missing the reason for it. Maybe it works for days without error. Maybe this is required at intervals I've not recognized?

Patterns I've noticed otherwise include a pause to unlock when I grab my phone and it's upside down. It usually gives me time to recognize this and get screen upright. My phone is usually on a stand upright in portrait mode so it's rare that I pick it up with screen not orientated correctly.

I've not tried setting up face unlock in bright setting though.

The issue you explained about the seemingly random pin requirement is actually not an issue at all. It's coded into the software as an extra security measure. If you lock your phone and do not unlock it for XXX amount of time (eg. 1 hour) then the phone requires your pin or pattern to verify its still you and your phone hasn't been physically compromised. The other trigger for this happening is at or around 6 hours since the last time your pin was physically entered, it will require you to enter it for the same reasons I listed before. Using face unlock doesn't reset the 6 hours, only physically entering your pin code will.
Hope this helps you understand a little better what's going on with your phone. We all have the same thing happen to us, just most don't notice it when it happens.
23rd June 2020, 10:27 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,261
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dopewrx05

The issue you explained about the seemingly random pin requirement is actually not an issue at all. It's coded into the software as an extra security measure. If you lock your phone and do not unlock it for XXX amount of time (eg. 1 hour) then the phone requires your pin or pattern to verify its still you and your phone hasn't been physically compromised. The other trigger for this happening is at or around 6 hours since the last time your pin was physically entered, it will require you to enter it for the same reasons I listed before. Using face unlock doesn't reset the 6 hours, only physically entering your pin code will.
Hope this helps you understand a little better what's going on with your phone. We all have the same thing happen to us, just most don't notice it when it happens.

Your hour or six a guess, estimation or actual?

What you described seems true but my use would likely indicate more quiring for PIN than I experience. Just asking.

But if this is intent, I don't agree PIN is added security. Sure face ID can be duped in many ways but at the very least what I'd prefer is safe zone like home where face unlock never dupes to PIN or added security. As I recall, total unlock is only option for designated safe zone like home, unless considering Bluetooth device which I don't prefer unless it can distinguish my Fitbit Versa 2 watch is very near and worn?

Surely there's less invasive methods users can deploy to not be so inconvenienced at home. I've even seen this at work with my wife's iPhone X. More choices seems a logical approach to consider. Why hasn't it?

Phone on charger just now, after just talking to Google Assistant, give a smart home command it interprets correctly, the smart assistant says sure, after you unlock your phone. I dismiss the Google Assistant and promptly unlock my phone without the stupid PIN. Not being very user friendly. I'm under the impression many developers don't just use the device and rethink their intents to be most user friendly.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
23rd June 2020, 10:28 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
I feel like I don't see this message more than twice a week... which certainly goes against the every 6 hours idea. My impression was that sometimes movement or Soli will wake it up and it sees something it thinks is a face but it can't unlock with it. If it sees this enough, it may prompt for a PIN unlock with the different message. But sometimes, I think I see this message taking it out of my pocket... where it can't possibly see a face. But maybe it saw part of my face as I was putting it in. It would be interesting to know what the actual rules are regarding this.
23rd June 2020, 11:20 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,261
 
More
I know that when I have the screen upside down, the screen wakes but gives me time to get it upright. Seconds. I don't recall seeing this fail me, thankfully.

I don't have much or any of the Soli features enabled but have screen tap to wake and skip unlock screen enabled.

I've wondered if having the generic stand was causing random face unlock errors but reach for phone is disabled. And I've tried placing my screen down flat instead of the stand and still got prompts to unlock with PIN.

Sometimes I grab my phone and tap to wake doesn't work. But it doesn't mean I get a prompt for PIN every time either. Yesterday, I tapped on the screen repeatedly and it woke and unlocked when it recognized my face. Maybe it's a latent response but I'm usually using the power button to wake by then.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
26th June 2020, 04:35 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,261
 
More
So I did a chat with Pixel support today.

For the issues with frequent queries for PIN and Voice Assistant asking me to unlock my phone first, the agent had me delete storage and cache for Google and Phone app, delete face unlock and add it back. Reboot phone and get back with them if this doesn't help.

The agent indicated there's not a timer that cannot be reset with unlock that would naturally challenge for PIN after counting down. His advice is to do the above for that issue. The face unlock is suspect. I hadn't done this until today. For kicks, I tried it outside in daylight though the agent didn't recommend this idea. Fwiw, I can unlock my phone in the dark but maybe daylight helps better see contours of the face.

I have a case number to chat again if this continues. Agent says it shouldn't reoccur.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
26th June 2020, 05:25 AM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
I only have a basic understanding of how face unlock works... but from what I understand it uses an IR dot projector and two IR cameras to stereoscopically sense the depth of your face. This is why it works in the dark to begin with and based on this, I would think direct sunlight would be a detriment rather than a boon in this sensing method. But it may not have any effect at all as I don't know exactly how the sun and the dot projector overlap in wavelength and strength.

Having a "bad" face calibration might explain it as the phone is more often unconfident about it being your face. So it triggers more failures which prompts the increased security message.
26th June 2020, 06:38 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,261
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljtgr

I only have a basic understanding of how face unlock works... but from what I understand it uses an IR dot projector and two IR cameras to stereoscopically sense the depth of your face. This is why it works in the dark to begin with and based on this, I would think direct sunlight would be a detriment rather than a boon in this sensing method. But it may not have any effect at all as I don't know exactly how the sun and the dot projector overlap in wavelength and strength.



Having a "bad" face calibration might explain it as the phone is more often unconfident about it being your face. So it triggers more failures which prompts the increased security message.

Agreed. It's unknown if added light is a help, hindrance or placebo. But the agent seemed confident just replacing the face unlock would solve my issues.

Not all of my issues sounded familiar was the reason for suggested extra storage wipes and reboot.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes