• Screenshot_20200106-130316.png
    Screenshot_20200106-130316.png
    123 KB · Views: 1,036

lapapunk

Aug 22, 2014
Odessa
The factory images are up my friends. Go pick what you need :good:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/24852169?hl=en

Added bonus: Here is a link to the January stock boot and magisk patched boot.img's
This is for the global build #QQ1B.200105.004 :good:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dgh7w0r4ZzPZ7qOePhfADjPuLp-K84yO/view?usp=drivesdk

PS: I used stable magisk 20.2 to patch the boot.img

Hi, and thx.
But can u share a small how-to, for updating, step by step? Just wanna be sure that I on the right way.:cool:

Badger50

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Hi, and thx.
But can u share a small how-to, for updating, step by step? Just wanna be sure that I on the right way.:cool:

In a nutshell: This is how I do it. Others MMV:cool:
1. Make sure platform-tools are up to date. The latest is 29.0.6. And use a USB A to USB C cable.

2. Download factory image, extract it, extract the image.zip, move boot.img to your phones internal storage.

3. Disable all magisk modules and substratum themes, remove face ID and reboot.

4. Patch the stock boot.img, and move the patched.img to your pc platform-tools folder, then turn phone off.

5. Move all your necessary factory image files to your platform-tools folder: bootloader, radio, the still zipped image.zip and the flash-all.bat file for Windows machines. Using notepad or whatever, edit the flash-all.bat file and remove the -w from the script, leaving a single space between the remaining words, save your edit.

6. Put phone in bootloader mode, and plug it into your pc. Open a command prompt {See 6A} on your platform-tools folder, type in: fastboot devices. If your device is recognized with it's ID, your good to go. Then, what I do is go into my platform-tools folder and double click the flash-all.bat file to start the process. Let it finish, and let your device boot up.
6A. For Win 10 users. Open a command prompt by typing "cmd" in the search box, then open the prompt. You'll see C:\Users\<your name> with the flashing cursor. Then type "cd" then hit the space bar. Then drag and drop your completed platform-tools folder in the command line, and let it populate. Then hit enter, and now you can issue your fastboot commands :good:

7. Once it boots ok with the update, turn phone off, and go into bootloader mode. Connect to pc, and fastboot the patched boot.img to both slots with..
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img --slot=all
And let it boot up with root.

8. Then start enabling your magisk modules a couple at a time. Be warned, sometimes, not all magisk modules play nicely with monthly updates, so take it slow. Luckily, January is cool with the @Tulsadiver mods, and the Active Edge mods from what I've seen.

9. And there ya go. Ok....so it was a little bigger than a nutshell!

Last edited:

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
When doing the above flashing use an A to C, not the supplied cable. If you're already in a flash failure with the supplied cable grab an A to C and flash again without doing a factory reset or taking any other actions to try and get it up; this will usually get it booting as if the first flash was successful.

Edit... I know you would have put it in there if you'd remembered Badg, it's hard to remember every little speed bump when whipping up a set of instructions like that. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Badger50

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
1. Make sure platform-tools are up to date. The latest is 29.0.5. And use a USB A to USB C cable.
2. Download factory image, extract it, extract the image.zip, move boot.img to your phones internal storage.
4. Patch the stock boot.img, and move the patched.img to your pc platform-tools folder, then turn phone off.
5. Move all your necessary factory image files to your platform-tools folder: bootloader, radio, the still zipped image.zip and the flash-all.bat file for Windows machines. Using notepad or whatever, edit the flash-all.bat file and remove the -w from the script, leaving a single space between the remaining words, save your edit.
6. Put phone in bootloader mode, and plug it into your pc. Open a command prompt on your platform-tools folder, type in: fastboot devices. If your device is recognized with it's ID, your good to go. Then, what I do is go into my platform-tools folder and double click the flash-all.bat file to start the process. Let it finish, and let your device boot up.
7. Once it boots ok with the update, turn phone off, and go into bootloader mode. Connect to pc, and fastboot the patched boot.img to both slots with..
8. Then start enabling your magisk modules a couple at a time. Be warned, sometimes, not all magisk modules play nicely with monthly updates, so take it slow. Luckily, January is cool with the @Tulsadiver mods, and the Active Edge mods from what I've seen.

You're an absolute legend mate, thanks!!

Last edited:

Badger50

Staff member
@Badger50
Ok, thx.
But what about this guide? On my pixel 2xl this method worked great. Will it work on 4xl?

Nothing wrong with that either. It was written by Mr. Magisk himself. However, that is mostly for OTA's that I never use. I prefer updating by factory images :good::cool:

Badger50

Staff member
When doing the above flashing use an A to C, not the supplied cable. If you're already in a flash failure with the supplied cable grab an A to C and flash again without doing a factory reset or taking any other actions to try and get it up; this will usually get it booting as if the first flash was successful.

Edit... I know you would have put it in there if you'd remembered Badg, it's hard to remember every little speed bump when whipping up a set of instructions like that. :)

Many thanks for reminding me of probably the biggest bug-a-boo problem plaguing the pixel line when it comes to updating or data transfer. Which is why I have several different cables! The P2XL was a great teacher for sure :good::cool:

Reactions: pixelodin

Madjax2020

Dec 7, 2019
1. Make sure platform-tools are up to date. The latest is 29.0.5. And use a USB A to USB C cable.
6. Put phone in bootloader mode, and plug it into your pc. Open a command prompt on your platform-tools folder, type in: fastboot devices. If your device is recognized with it's ID, your good to go. Then, what I do is go into my platform-tools folder and double click the flash-all.bat file to start the process. Let it finish, and let your device boot up.

you are a great help and i wish i could take you out for a beer or 5

howardfok

Jan 9, 2020

What should I do when the cmd window comes to "fastboot: error: failed to extract 'android-info.txt': iteration ended" as shown in the attachment.
And the process stops.

Badger50

Staff member
What should I do when the cmd window comes to "fastboot: error: failed to extract 'android-info.txt': iteration ended" as shown in the attachment.
And the process stops.

Hard to say exactly since i've never seen that error. Did you follow my guide to the letter?
Is this the first time this has happened?
Are you using power shell commands?
Are your platform-tools up to date?
Have you tied different USB A to USB C cables and ports?
More info would be helpful :good:

Reactions: pixelodin

howardfok

Jan 9, 2020
Hard to say exactly since i've never seen that error. Did you follow my guide to the letter?
Is this the first time this has happened?
Are you using power shell commands?
Are your platform-tools up to date?
Have you tied different USB A to USB C cables and ports?
More info would be helpful :good:

Yes, I followed your guide and the cmd window worded well at the previous procedure and showed several [ok] but stuck at this point.
I doubled clicked 'flash-all.bat' file rather than used power shell.
The platform-tools is up to date since it was downloaded today.
I have not tried another cable. The cable may work well because I used this to unlock bootloader and root the device last month.

BTW, should I re-zip the replaced boot.img (Patch from Magisk) and other .img files (from the full image) to get a new zip file before flashing?

Badger50

Staff member
Yes, I followed your guide and the cmd window worded well at the previous procedure and showed several [ok] but stuck at this point.
I doubled clicked 'flash-all.bat' file rather than used power shell.
The platform-tools is up to date since it was downloaded today.
I have not tried another cable. The cable may work well because I used this to unlock bootloader and root the device last month.

BTW, should I re-zip the replaced boot.img (Patch from Magisk) and other .img files (from the full image) to get a new zip file before flashing?

I would try a different cable and port first.
Don't worry about the patched boot.img until you have a successful flash of the factory image, and your phone boots up first. The secondary image.zip within the factory image definitely needs to remain zipped and in your platform-tools tools folder. The installation script needs to extract it so it can be flashed. This may be why your getting the error if this is the case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, and thx.

1. Make sure platform-tools are up to date. The latest is 29.0.6. And use a USB A to USB C cable.

6. Put phone in bootloader mode, and plug it into your pc. Open a command prompt {See 6A} on your platform-tools folder, type in: fastboot devices. If your device is recognized with it's ID, your good to go. Then, what I do is go into my platform-tools folder and double click the flash-all.bat file to start the process. Let it finish, and let your device boot up.
    6A. For Win 10 users. Open a command prompt by typing "cmd" in the search box, then open the prompt. You'll see C:\Users\<your name> with the flashing cursor. Then type "cd" then hit the space bar. Then drag and drop your completed platform-tools folder in the command line, and let it populate. Then hit enter, and now you can issue your fastboot commands :good:

The factory images are up my friends. Go pick what you need :good:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/24852169?hl=en

Added bonus: Here is a link to the January stock boot and magisk patched boot.img's
    This is for the global build #QQ1B.200105.004 :good:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dgh7w0r4ZzPZ7qOePhfADjPuLp-K84yO/view?usp=drivesdk

PS: I used stable magisk 20.2 to patch the boot.img
    OTA is only 12MB.
    @Badger50
    Ok, thx.
    But what about this guide? On my pixel 2xl this method worked great. Will it work on 4xl?

Nothing wrong with that either. It was written by Mr. Magisk himself. However, that is mostly for OTA's that I never use. I prefer updating by factory images :good::cool:

You're an absolute legend mate, thanks!!