FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Working root instructions for Verizon Pixel 4 XL

294 posts
Thanks Meter: 121

By madscribblerz, Senior Member on 25th October 2019, 04:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
VERIZON PIXEL 4 XL Root Instructions

NOTE: You must do this PRIOR to activating the phone with Verizon. On my phone once I activated it the OEM bootloader unlock switch became greyed out. (Edit - after rebooting once activated the OEM lock is available again).

Steps I took:
1. Turn on the phone, do not activate the SIM with the carrier.
2. Update to the latest firmware version.
3. Reboot.
4. Enable developer settings, turn on OEM unlock
5. Boot in fastboot mode, run fastboot flash unlock in a shell, reboot.
6. Set up and activate (mine required a chat with Verizon to activate, it wouldn’t activate through the app).
7. Reboot into fastboot, flash a boot.img that has been patched (magisk_patched.img). You can find instructions on this elsewhere.
8. Reboot.
9. Install magisk manager (canary builds). It will say it needs to download a zip to fully install. Allow.
10. Reboot. You’re now rooted.
11. Magisk manager and magisk install may want to upgrade, feel free.

Enjoy!

NOTE: There are several who this has worked for, and some who haven't been able to get it to work. Suggest reading the thread and providing info on phones that do and don't unlock for whatever reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madscribblerz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift madscribblerz Ad-Free
25th October 2019, 04:52 AM |#2  
Flag Lake Charles, Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 125

Donate to Me
More
Any idea if this would work with the Pixel 4? Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
25th October 2019, 05:40 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo

Any idea if this would work with the Pixel 4? Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

I can't say for certain, but I think it would just the same. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't.
25th October 2019, 06:04 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Im......just going to wait patiently for TWRP to be released for Pixel 4/XL then I will flash Magisk. Suck for now because I so use to adaway, and build.prop tether. The struggle is real.
25th October 2019, 06:27 AM |#5  
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 1,194

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.marcus

Im......just going to wait patiently for TWRP to be released for Pixel 4/XL then I will flash Magisk. Suck for now because I so use to adaway, and build.prop tether. The struggle is real.

Did they ever get TWRP working correctly on the 3xl??
25th October 2019, 06:42 AM |#6  
Flag MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Thanks Meter: 3,352

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

TWRP isn't working on Android 10 currently. It'll need a lot of time to develop, as Google moved a lot of things related to recovery to new sections.

If you really want to root you should definitely patch the appropriate boot image (found here: https://developers.google.com/android/images) and follow the above mentioned steps.

Regarding AdAway: I'm using DNS66 since years. You can download an active the AdAway DNS serting to this app as well an AdBlock will work like a charm. No root needed.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using XDA Labs
25th October 2019, 07:40 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 487

More
Man I wish I saw this first. Well I hope another method comes along for those of us who activated already.
The Following User Says Thank You to billydroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift billydroid Ad-Free
25th October 2019, 08:20 AM |#8  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 404

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydroid

Man I wish I saw this first. Well I hope another method comes along for those of us who activated already.

Well don't feel bad I tried it today before activating and it didn't work. It may wind up being a random occurrence with units that didn't have the IMEI's registered. That's probably why he had to contact Verizon to get the phone to work on their network.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolfu11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wolfu11 Ad-Free
25th October 2019, 10:25 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

Did they ever get TWRP working correctly on the 3xl??

Not that I know of. I have been patching boot files for my 3 xl.
25th October 2019, 10:28 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfu11

Well don't feel bad I tried it today before activating and it didn't work. It may wind up being a random occurrence with units that didn't have the IMEI's registered. That's probably why he had to contact Verizon to get the phone to work on their network.

Perhaps. It knew it was a Verizon phone, it had a Verizon activation app. I was very careful to skip activation of any type at the store or when taking it home, so it might be that you need to tell Verizon that you'll activate it later to have the chance to unlock it.

Also, the OEM bootloader unlock has remained available after reboot. I think if it's unlocked in the way I describe it stays unlocked.
25th October 2019, 12:14 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

You might be waiting awhile.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/1...pixel-3-4/?amp
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, magisk, root, unlock, verizon

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)