FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] Pixel 4 XL (Unlocked from Google Store) - Root and Bootloader Unlocking

91 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By PetrichorXFi, Member on 23rd October 2019, 12:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone root the Pixel 4 XL from Google Play store yet?

Can the Pixel 3 XL Android 10 root method be used for Pixel 4 XL Android 10 root?
*Update2 (10/24/2019 6:00PM): Factory Images have been released!
They are available at below links. Multiple users say they have root working now.

*Note: Multiple images are listed. For my Pixel 4 XL 128GB purchased directly from Google Play store, the image is the first one "10.0.0 (QD1A.190821.007, Oct 2019)". You can verify in "Settings" >> "About Phone"... near bottom you will see "Build Number"
  1. Factory: https://developers.google.com/android/images#coral
  2. OTA: https://developers.google.com/android/ota#coral
According to @Samg381 the method to gain root is to follow the guide outlined here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/i...image-patching
Below are steps I personally followed:
  1. Download latest Magisk Manager - https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/...ger-v7.3.5.apk
  2. Install Magisk manager on my Pixel 4 XL
  3. Download latest factory image with build number that matches my phone's version from this URL: https://developers.google.com/android/images#coral
  4. Extract the zip file contents
  5. You will see one more zip file, extract those contents
  6. Copy the boot.img file to your phone (you can plugin USB to your PC and put it in your "Downloads" folder
  7. Open Magisk Manager, click "Advanced" >> "Recovery Mode"
  8. Click the top "Install" button
  9. When prompted click Install again, then "Select and Patch a file" >> Select the boot.img file you copied to your pixel 4 xl earlier.
  10. it will create a new file "/storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk_patched.img"
  11. Plugin your phone to your PC again via USB, copy this new file in same folder as your adb sdk files.
  12. open cmd prompt type:
  13. adb devices
  14. *Note: unlock your phone and approve ADB access if prompted
  15. adb reboot bootloader
  16. fastboot devices
  17. fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
  18. If it works you should get somthing like
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
    sending 'boot_a' (32092 KB)...
    OKAY [ 1.167s]
    writing 'boot_a'...
    OKAY [ 0.325s]
    finished. total time: 1.494s
  19. Reboot your phone, open Magisk manager again, and verify it shows you now have root!

I would recommend everyone who plans to root unlock their bootloader NOW as it does wipe your data just like other Pixel phones have when unlocking bootloader... I already unlocked my bootloader.

FYI, the process to unlock Pixel 4 XL bootloader is easy:
  1. Boot Pixel 4 XL, go through initial setup guide (do not bother adding account as you will wipe data shortly)
  2. "Settings" >> "About Phone" >> Tap "build number" about 10 times till "You are a developer"
  3. "Settings" >> "System" >> "Advanced" >> "Developer Options"
  4. Check "OEM unlocking"
  5. If "OEM Unlocking" is greyed out, either "Bootloader is already unlocked", or you need to do factory reset, then go through steps 1-4 again. On my phone I had to wipe data once, then OEM Unlock
  6. Check "USB Debugging"
  7. Connect Pixel 4 XL to your PC with SDK tools installed
  8. adb devices
  9. unlock your Pixel 4 XL... you will see a prompt asking for ADB permissions, say yes
  10. adb reboot bootloader
  11. fastboot devices
  12. fastboot flashing unlock
  13. Pixel 4 XL will now ask if you want to unlock bootloader, press volume up or down once... then power button once to confirm. WARNING it will wipe all your data...
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PetrichorXFi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PetrichorXFi Ad-Free
23rd October 2019, 01:16 AM |#2  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 496

Donate to Me
More
You didn't try since you have unlocked your bootloader
Mine is still locked.
Waiting for John to root his first.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheUndertaker21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheUndertaker21 Ad-Free
23rd October 2019, 01:21 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
It's not possible to root without the factory image. We probably won't see the factory image until the 24th.
The Following User Says Thank You to vanydotk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vanydotk Ad-Free
23rd October 2019, 02:03 AM |#4  
Flag whittier
Thanks Meter: 1

More
And if we bought through carrier will there be any way to root? I've always bought from Google, but I couldn't afford it this time, so I went with the T-Mobile jump plan. Then went to unlock the bootloader on it today and says not available for carrier devices. Feel like I'm dying a bit on the inside
23rd October 2019, 02:12 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Maybe there will be an unlock method in the future, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soob
23rd October 2019, 02:25 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Unlocked my google version right out of the gate through settings. No ADB required. Waiting on a root method now.
23rd October 2019, 03:05 AM |#7  
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 966

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samg381

Unlocked my google version right out of the gate through settings. No ADB required. Waiting on a root method now.

That only enabled your ability to unlock. You still have to do it through fastboot and wipe your data.
23rd October 2019, 03:07 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 371

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruizdesign

And if we bought through carrier will there be any way to root? I've always bought from Google, but I couldn't afford it this time, so I went with the T-Mobile jump plan. Then went to unlock the bootloader on it today and says not available for carrier devices. Feel like I'm dying a bit on the inside

Verizon is a different animal, they apparently won't allow you to unlock it at all. But the other companies, I don't see why, after you pay it off, that you couldn't unlock it. Carrier locked = sim locked. You pay off a device, you get the sim unlocked. I'm actually rather surprised that there are that many people out there that would expect carriers to allow their devices to be unlocked, even if they're not paid for. You may have to wait a bit, but I see no reason why they won't let you unlock after it's paid off.
23rd October 2019, 03:08 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdickson

That only enabled your ability to unlock. You still have to do it through fastboot and wipe your data.

Ah, gotcha. It's been a while. Thanks.
23rd October 2019, 03:09 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 371

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdickson

Lol, must be a noob 😂

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Looks like the process is fairly straightforward for this device as well. about as easy as any other unlocked device, I would say
23rd October 2019, 03:17 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKool76

Lol, must be a noob

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Looks like the process is fairly straightforward for this device as well. about as easy as any other unlocked device, I would say

Be humble.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samg381 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Samg381 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, pixel4, pixel4 xl, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)