FORUMS

Any updates on TWRP?

653 posts
Thanks Meter: 60

By in_dmand, Senior Member on 17th January 2020, 03:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Seems like development in general has really dropped off over the past year or two. Used to be TWRP would be out within 1-2 weeks, now it's almost 3 months and nothing. Makes me sad to see us going the direction of accepting factory builds
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to in_dmand For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift in_dmand Ad-Free
17th January 2020, 04:57 PM |#2  
Flag SO. Cali.
Thanks Meter: 839

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_dmand

Seems like development in general has really dropped off over the past year or two. Used to be TWRP would be out within 1-2 weeks, now it's almost 3 months and nothing. Makes me sad to see us going the direction of accepting factory builds

I was just thinking this the other day. The whole scene of Rooting and flashing ROMs seems to be coming to a dead end. Kinda sucks, I've always enjoyed tweaking my phone in my spare time..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Root-Maniac For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Root-Maniac Ad-Free
17th January 2020, 06:28 PM |#3  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 695

More
Quote:

Used to take 1-2 weeks when things were simple and easier.

Your comment about factory builds doesn't make sense considering you don't need TWRP to flash custom ROMs etc
17th January 2020, 07:21 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackay53

Used to take 1-2 weeks when things were simple and easier.

Your comment about factory builds doesn't make sense considering you don't need TWRP to flash custom ROMs etc

True, but it does seem like it has greatly hindered rom development... It wasn't until very recently there were any roms even available.
17th January 2020, 07:39 PM |#5  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 695

More
Quote:

True, but it does seem like it has greatly hindered rom development... It wasn't until very recently there were any roms even available.

More cheaper phones will have a higher user base so more development activity.

I think Pixels already has solid software so not much to add and the high price point will hold it back a little
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackay53 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mackay53 Ad-Free
17th January 2020, 08:32 PM |#6  
Quote:

https://twrp.me/site/update/2019/10/...ndroid-10.html
The Following User Says Thank You to uicnren For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift uicnren Ad-Free
17th January 2020, 08:36 PM |#7  
Flag MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Thanks Meter: 3,476

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Root-Maniac

I was just thinking this the other day. The whole scene of Rooting and flashing ROMs seems to be coming to a dead end. Kinda sucks, I've always enjoyed tweaking my phone in my spare time..

No we all just have to move on to next generation rooting an modding. Magisk can be flashed, or the Manager App is used to patch the boot.img manually and flash it afterwards. GSIs ROMs can be flashed via fastboot from fastboot mode as well. So in my opinion it is fastboot flashing an GSI.img, Custom (optionally Magisk patched) boot, or Stock Magisk patched boot. That's it. It's even more, as it's back to the roots of adb and fastboot. TWRP has been there on U12+ for as long as the device exists, bit I never used it, as I switched to GSIs instead, and of on Stock the Magisk ROMs of LeeDrOiD and Team Viper could be easily installed through Magisk Manager. We should all have taken a look at phhussons work much earlier to accommodate to the things that got moving by Googles change in architecture when they introduced treble. We've only been to lazy, and many of today's users on this board, hardly know anything in-depth about adb and fastboot, but only scratch the three or four superficial standard commands. Technical affinity is more in demand again, and our good old adaptability.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using XDA Labs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5m4r7ph0n36uru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 5m4r7ph0n36uru Ad-Free
18th January 2020, 02:05 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uicnren

https://twrp.me/site/update/2019/10/...ndroid-10.html

Oh wow, thanks for posting that! I certainly don't expect dees Troy to handle that difficult of a problem by himself with his wife pregnant and everything. Thanks again
19th January 2020, 01:58 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 261

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5m4r7ph0n36uru

No we all just have to move on to next generation rooting an modding. Magisk can be flashed, or the Manager App is used to patch the boot.img manually and flash it afterwards. GSIs ROMs can be flashed via fastboot from fastboot mode as well. So in my opinion it is fastboot flashing an GSI.img, Custom (optionally Magisk patched) boot, or Stock Magisk patched boot. That's it. It's even more, as it's back to the roots of adb and fastboot. TWRP has been there on U12+ for as long as the device exists, bit I never used it, as I switched to GSIs instead, and of on Stock the Magisk ROMs of LeeDrOiD and Team Viper could be easily installed through Magisk Manager. We should all have taken a look at phhussons work much earlier to accommodate to the things that got moving by Googles change in architecture when they introduced treble. We've only been to lazy, and many of today's users on this board, hardly know anything in-depth about adb and fastboot, but only scratch the three or four superficial standard commands. Technical affinity is more in demand again, and our good old adaptability.

I agree on most points of you. GSIs are wonderful especially for phones at release start when there are no custom roms available yet.
And luckily device specific custom roms can be flashed over fastboot, too.

But for one reason i want a twrp for our device:
I find data backups with twrp much more easier as without. At least on my pixel 4 xl i miss a twrp somehow because Titanium Backup doesn't work on the gsi which i'm using.

I must create all my app folders again on my phone when i update it and backup all my stuff manually on my pc in extra folders and files.
I could spare me all that with twrp.

(I know there is the Google Cloud too as possibility but i refuse to use it)
19th January 2020, 07:49 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 265

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacke

I agree on most points of you. GSIs are wonderful especially for phones at release start when there are no custom roms available yet.
And luckily device specific custom roms can be flashed over fastboot, too.

But for one reason i want a twrp for our device:
I find data backups with twrp much more easier as without. At least on my pixel 4 xl i miss a twrp somehow because Titanium Backup doesn't work on the gsi which i'm using.

I must create all my app folders again on my phone when i update it and backup all my stuff manually on my pc in extra folders and files.
I could spare me all that with twrp.

(I know there is the Google Cloud too as possibility but i refuse to use it)

Why do you refuse to use Google cloud
19th January 2020, 11:20 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 261

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceelos218

Why do you refuse to use Google cloud

Because i don't want to feed Big G with my data.

And GSIs give me the possibilty to use my pixel without all the Gapps and the Google Play Service. That's a reason too why i like GSIs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)