FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB Cables info.

2,653 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,167
 
By CyberpodS2, Senior Member on 28th October 2019, 04:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Going to post this in a few places that are getting traction at the moment. I just boned up my 4xl and needed to flash the factory image over top, sans the -w and imagine my surprise to discover it failed when using the supplied usb-c to usb-c cord. Seems this phone shares the same buggy nonsense as the 2xl does. I changed out the cord for my trusty A-to-C I always use and Bam! Back in business!!

The fastboot failed right after flashing the boot and phone rebooted to the dead Android screen.

SO... Let's start this phone off right from the start by NOT using the C-to-C cord. Sadly I'm sure we'll be answering posts weekly aftering this but hey this is my part...
28th October 2019, 05:11 AM |#2  
wrongway213's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Canton, OH
Thanks Meter: 7,824
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpodS2

Going to post this in a few places that are getting traction at the moment. I just boned up my 4xl and needed to flash the factory image over top, sans the -w and imagine my surprise to discover it failed when using the supplied usb-c to usb-c cord. Seems this phone shares the same buggy nonsense as the 2xl does. I changed out the cord for my trusty A-to-C I always use and Bam! Back in business!!

The fastboot failed right after flashing the boot and phone rebooted to the dead Android screen.

SO... Let's start this phone off right from the start by NOT using the C-to-C cord. Sadly I'm sure we'll be answering posts weekly aftering this but hey this is my part...

You serious? The charger that comes with the phone doesn't work for adb? I literally will not be able to set this device up if that's the case. I don't have a USB c to a charger. This is the first post I've seen that's made me seriously consider sending this device back. I'm not buying a separate charger to use my damn phone and this is gonna be a deal breaker for me if there's not something else to it.
28th October 2019, 05:46 AM |#3  
eg1122's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Roma, Tx
Thanks Meter: 2,565
 
Donate to Me
More
I've been using the USB A to USB C cable that came with the OG Pixel all this time for this reason. The one that came with the 2 and 3 didn't work.
28th October 2019, 07:10 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 867
 
More
3XL and 3A XL also, it's crazy that you can't flash a factory image with the supplied cable but then maybe it's not: Could be just another way they're trying to discourage flashing. Imagine you're new and you've been reading about this flashing thing and think it might be fun to screw around and you go for it. But, it doesn't work. You're phone is seemingly broken. You get in a mad panic and search around and try a C to A and it works. How many you think might be saying some version of phew, I'll never try that again? I bring this up because it's known and could be fixed easily but here we are and it's not. That isn't happening without reason.
28th October 2019, 12:01 PM |#5  
Atomregen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 156
 
More
I have no problem with the USB C to C cable on windows 10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows PowerShell 28.10.2019 10_58_06.png
Views:	226
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	4858627  
The Following User Says Thank You to Atomregen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Atomregen Ad-Free
29th October 2019, 12:17 AM |#6  
CyberpodS2's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 1,167
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomregen

I have no problem with the USB C to C cable on windows 10.

Either did I until I did. It's a long documented wrench in the gears... Go for it, but keep in mind that if you have any failed flashes to try a USB to C cable before digging any deeper. Lol

Just rebooting is different than full image flashes. My case it made it all the way through the boot partition then failed at system.
29th October 2019, 12:29 AM |#7  
Atomregen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 156
 
More
Otherwise, I usually use a USB A to C cable, because I am too lazy to connect the c cable on the back of my pc. but for fun, I'll try the next update with the USB c to c cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atomregen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Atomregen Ad-Free
29th October 2019, 02:19 AM |#8  
mrro82's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cordova
Thanks Meter: 396
 
More
I used the supplied cord during the initial setup to transfer my old phone files to the XL. I've used the USB c cable that came with my HTC 10 for bootloader and root just because it was next to my computer. Never thought the supplied cable would be a problem.
29th October 2019, 03:37 AM |#9  
superchilpil's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1,421
 
Donate to Me
More
It's most likely not the supplied cable, but an issue with your drivers or operating system.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to superchilpil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift superchilpil Ad-Free
29th October 2019, 04:49 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 867
 
More
The one that kills me are the factory images. I can unlock with the C to C and most other ADB tasks like flashing a patched boot but get a factory image to flash? Uh uh, no way not happening for me, ever, on my gear. Always stops somewhere along the way and ends in an error. Do nothing but switch to a C to A and the image flashes fine with no hiccups at all. Weird stuff.
29th October 2019, 10:53 AM |#11  
CyberpodS2's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 1,167
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabman

The one that kills me are the factory images. I can unlock with the C to C and most other ADB tasks like flashing a patched boot but get a factory image to flash? Uh uh, no way not happening for me, ever, on my gear. Always stops somewhere along the way and ends in an error. Do nothing but switch to a C to A and the image flashes fine with no hiccups at all. Weird stuff.

Yah, this has been the Pixel 2 XL owners life for the last two years... The randomness of it all is the most frustrating when trying to help folks through their troubles on here.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes