FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Standby drain

810 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,895

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 9th July 2019, 10:15 AM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
When you sleep, does your phone sleep, or does it stay up all night and crunch 1s and 0s? Rate this thread to express how you deem the speed at which the 's battery drains under standby conditions. A higher rating indicates that when the phone is not in use, the battery drains minimally.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
7th November 2019, 01:20 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
My phone stays in my pocket quite a bit, but I'm apparently getting phenomenally better battery life than most (certainly the folks reviewing it). Even if I pull it out to watch a 3 hr hockey game while I'm at work, when it's not out and in my face it'll last for over a day easy. I stream music over a Bluetooth speaker a lot and still, nah. Again though, my screen on time is prob a lot less than most and I plug it in for the android auto on my 30 min commute. It's better than my 2xl was and I need to plug it in far less than my iFriends
10th December 2019, 10:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I was having many issues at first, including battery drain overnight, but not to be dismayed by the lack of support from (well you know) tech companies (ahem), as always, I relied on the superior knowledge at a place called "xda" (you may have heard of them), after doing a factory reset and starting over (yeeeeaaaahhh), I now have the phone I thought I was buying, so thanks to the many knowledgeable people, developers, rom writers, etc., on this forum. Of course in my opinion , anyone who owns an android device should be required to spend a minimum of 100 hours reading on this site, even if they have no intention of rooting, or well whatever. As for the issue at hand, I used a little over 13% now after a little more than a day, including overnight no use time, obviously Im a lite user compared to some, but my trusty nexus 6 (5 year old) battery had seen its better days.
11th December 2019, 03:20 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0T3chW1z

I was having many issues at first, including battery drain overnight, but not to be dismayed by the lack of support from (well you know) tech companies (ahem), as always, I relied on the superior knowledge at a place called "xda" (you may have heard of them), after doing a factory reset and starting over (yeeeeaaaahhh), I now have the phone I thought I was buying, so thanks to the many knowledgeable people, developers, rom writers, etc., on this forum. Of course in my opinion , anyone who owns an android device should be required to spend a minimum of 100 hours reading on this site, even if they have no intention of rooting, or well whatever. As for the issue at hand, I used a little over 13% now after a little more than a day, including overnight no use time, obviously Im a lite user compared to some, but my trusty nexus 6 (5 year old) battery had seen its better days.

Care to elaborate? Did you root? Custom kernel? I'm still on the fence, but only because of google pay. I know there are ways to achieve this even rooted, but still...

Ever had a massive technical problem, and after searching the net for an insane amount of time, you finally find a lost soul having the same issue? Isn't it kind of frustrating when there is only a "Solved it!!!" with no obvious solution?

Just saying. If you solved your issue it would be great to show us how. Maybe there is someone out there having similar problems. You never know.
11th December 2019, 05:29 PM |#5  
Flag McAlester, OK
Thanks Meter: 255

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ati75

Care to elaborate? Did you root? Custom kernel? I'm still on the fence, but only because of google pay. I know there are ways to achieve this even rooted, but still...

Ever had a massive technical problem, and after searching the net for an insane amount of time, you finally find a lost soul having the same issue? Isn't it kind of frustrating when there is only a "Solved it!!!" with no obvious solution?

Just saying. If you solved your issue it would be great to show us how. Maybe there is someone out there having similar problems. You never know.

Honestly it seems to vary user by user. Depends on the apps you have installed, whether you restrict their battery use, turn off notifications, etc. etc.

If you use social media apps, strongly suggest you manually restrict their battery use and turn off notifications. Other phones that have amazing battery life (Huawei for example) do this for you, they aggressively restrict apps, but Google doesn't.. Makes a massive difference. Made a huge difference for me. I went from 10%+ battery drain overnight to about 2%. Same during the workday. The battery drain is hugely improved when it's in my pocket or on the desk through the day.
11th December 2019, 06:30 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony0fLife

Honestly it seems to vary user by user. Depends on the apps you have installed, whether you restrict their battery use, turn off notifications, etc. etc.

If you use social media apps, strongly suggest you manually restrict their battery use and turn off notifications. Other phones that have amazing battery life (Huawei for example) do this for you, they aggressively restrict apps, but Google doesn't.. Makes a massive difference. Made a huge difference for me. I went from 10%+ battery drain overnight to about 2%. Same during the workday. The battery drain is hugely improved when it's in my pocket or on the desk through the day.

I've had my Pixel 4 XL for just over a week. Biggest ROI in terms of battery life for me has been turning off Bluetooth Scanning under location settings. I also turned off Always On Display (but I may start testing with those options as I had done that before turning off Bluetooth scanning). Motion Sense, Smooth Display, etc...are all on and working great. I'm at 13% active drain / 1.7% idle drain and my phone goes to Deep Sleep as I would expect. Not finding a need to limit my usage or worry about it...getting 22-24 hours of projected life a day, not charging during the day and not worrying about it. 4-5 hours of screen on time. I'm happy....my Pixel XL was struggling to get through a full day and I had been using various battery packs as needed to allow it to limp along. Really happy so far. I haven't unlocked bootloader or rooted yet....but may head down that path if needed. (Google Store Unlocked version on Verizon)

Edit: Forgot to mention I also disabled Digital Wellbeing and I believe that helped as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sb1893 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sb1893 Ad-Free
11th December 2019, 07:41 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ati75

Mostly nothing was working correctly, the transfer data didnt work, the battery was draining as fast as my old nexus 6 (the reason I decided it was time to get a new phone), couldnt get it to connect to my wifi without turning off security and allowing a first ip address (tech support cant understand that concept), receiving double notifications, fi switch app would take me to the dialer no matter what I pushed, like settings. It was an absolute total mess. I rooted my nexus 6P with Pixel Experience (how awsome is that thank you devs), and fi switch was normal. Thats why I did the factory reset, wiping everything and starting new. Still had to turn off security in wifi till I got it set up, but everything else has gone to normal like it suppose to. Dont like a lot of google stuff, still turning off whatever I can, limit as many sharing and app allowances as possible (dont send stats) only use Bluetooth as needed.
Nexus 6 rooted stock with TWRP (thank you TWRP people)
Nexus 6P rooted Pixel Experience and TWRP
Pixel 4xl not rooted stock rom and recovery

Im still a newbie compared to the great ones who have a presence here, Thats why I read the how to for rooting probably without exaggerating 20 times,
I also read thru the forums completely to find how others get fixed, wish I was knowledgeable enough to help others, maybe some day
11th December 2019, 08:25 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Thanks for the feedback! I really never thought about it this way. My Samsung phones did restrict different apps really fast. That Google does not force this in the same manner never crossed my mind. Also with bluetooth scanning. I had that turned on the whole time, just because i honestly forgot it was there. Same goes with wifi scanning i guess. Will try these out.

I will keep staying unrooted for the time being.
12th December 2019, 07:45 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Seems like maybe a launch quirk?
My Pixel 2 XL pulled 3 days 20 hours of projected use after a year of use.
My Pixel 4 XL is pulling just under one day.
I did not copy my device over, I have a fresh install. Wifi and Bluetooth scanning disabled (but really it's 2019, nearly 2020, this shouldn't be an issue)
However, my Pixel 4 XL seems to have had a significant boost to longevity after the December feature update.
12th December 2019, 02:48 PM |#10  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hi there
I have a battery drain at night (sleep 8h) at about 6-7%. Not too much, not little. I remember my pixel 3's drain at night was 3&4.
Stanby drain is an issue on pixel 4 I think.
What about yours ?
12th December 2019, 03:07 PM |#11  

More
If it helps anyone: in the google assistant settings - Open the Settings app > Google > Account Services > Search, Assistant & Voice > Google Assistant - there is a possibility of battery usage "unseen?" in different settings - I had the recognize music going and on the good side it accurately found every tune that played on the radio while I was driving, the downside is it used a lot of battery, you can make a "quicky icon" for the home screen should you so desire, to make it off/on/off easier.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)