FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Button Mapper: Remap motion sense (no root)

17,924 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,756

By flar2, Recognized Developer on 8th November 2019, 02:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Button Mapper 1.40 introduces support for Motion Sense on the new Pixel 4/4XL.

The way this works is you swipe your hand in the air over the phone to perform an action. You can swipe in any direction, but swiping left or right seems to work best. I originally planned to remap each direction separately, but found this was too unreliable to be practical for most.

Motion Sense must be enabled in System Settings, and the "Reach to check phone" option must be enabled, or this won't work.

The motion gestures will work with the screen off, on the lockscreen and on the homescreen. The sensor is not active within other apps.

Setup
For non rooted devices, requires one-time adb setup to allow Button Mapper to read logcat output.
Rooted devices can work right away.

Options

Turn on screen: For rooted users, there is an option to turn the screen on before performing an action.

Play sound on action: Makes a sound whenever a swipe action is performed. This is helpful to indicate that the swipe was detected, especially when the screen is off.

Disable while music is playing: This will stop Button Mapper from performing the assigned action while music is playing. This allows you to continue using the built-in previous and next track gestures while listening to music. When not listening to music, Button Mapper will resume remapping.

Tips

A good way to test this out is to assign the "Toggle flashlight" action. It's a quick visual to help you get a feel for how the motion sensing works.

Download

XDA Labs (always latest version)
https://labs.xda-developers.com/stor...ar2.homebutton

Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ar2.homebutton

Note: Many users will not yet find the latest Button Mapper 1.40 on the Google Play Store. Download from XDA Labs if you can't wait.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to flar2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2019, 02:29 AM |#2  
Flag Roma, Tx
Thanks Meter: 2,565

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for this, got the update via play store and sent some coffee your way.
The Following User Says Thank You to eg1122 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eg1122 Ad-Free
8th November 2019, 03:02 AM |#3  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1,421

Donate to Me
More
I swear no matter what device you jump on you always come through with something great!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to superchilpil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift superchilpil Ad-Free
8th November 2019, 05:50 AM |#4  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Canton, OH
Thanks Meter: 7,824

Donate to Me
More
Awesome, just purchased. Only thing I can't figure out - how to map power button? It doesn't detect it when I press to add button - assuming because it turns screen off? If there's a way to do this that'd be awesome, guessing I'm just missing something
8th November 2019, 02:24 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway213

Awesome, just purchased. Only thing I can't figure out - how to map power button? It doesn't detect it when I press to add button - assuming because it turns screen off? If there's a way to do this that'd be awesome, guessing I'm just missing something

The power button can't be remapped.
The Following User Says Thank You to flar2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2019, 03:03 PM |#6  
Flag Rock Hill SC
Thanks Meter: 82

Donate to Me
More
Very clever use of the LogCat!
8th November 2019, 05:12 PM |#7  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Can't wait to get a ton of Google surveys so I can afford this app haha. Looks very intriguing, great work!
9th November 2019, 05:19 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 867

More
You get a P4 Flar2?
9th November 2019, 03:16 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 7,736

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar2

Temporarily

Brilliant, many thanks for this!

I've given it a try but it doesn't work for me:
- I have "Reach to check phone" enabled
- I ran "Enable Active Edge Remapping" using Button Mapper Setup
- I assigned "Toggle flashlight" as action and toggled on "Play sound on action"
- I went back to my homescreen.
Nothing is happening. Did I forget something?
9th November 2019, 05:46 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerWeather

Brilliant, many thanks for this!

I've given it a try but it doesn't work for me:
- I have "Reach to check phone" enabled
- I ran "Enable Active Edge Remapping" using Button Mapper Setup
- I assigned "Toggle flashlight" as action and toggled on "Play sound on action"
- I went back to my homescreen.
Nothing is happening. Did I forget something?

same here, used motion sense to toggle flashlight but its not working, phone is rooted and the app has permissions
edited : actually it works but it needs the soli to be enabled (like when u open spotify and its shows u the light at the top of ur screen, swiping will enable the flashlight)
need an option where u can swipe to toggle flashlight while screen is locked if possible or when you are on your home screen
so technically the motion sense if off when screen is locked or on home screen

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

i noticed too that skipping songs is much more consistent, its like 100% success rate
The Following User Says Thank You to sta3b For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sta3b Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
buttonmapper, flar2, motion sense, remap, soli

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)