FORUMS

[Magisk Module] Bring back Google Daydream VR

942 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,028

By MishaalRahman, Editor in Chief on 13th November 2019, 07:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Google quietly discontinued Daydream VR with the Pixel 4. If you have an existing Daydream VR viewer, it's useless with your Pixel 4. Fortunately, with root, we can re-enable support. While Daydream VR and phone-based VR in general are dying out, you can still use existing services like YouTube VR and other VR apps.

How to Install
  1. Flash the Magisk Module attached to this thread and reboot.
  2. Install Daydream from APKMirror.
  3. Install Daydream Keyboard from APKMirror.

Note: If you don't hear any audio in Daydream, try running the following command in a rooted shell:

Code:
setprop persist.audio.vr.enable true
My Magisk Module should have already set this value, though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DaydreamVR.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.4 KB, 344 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MishaalRahman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2019, 01:57 PM |#2  
Flag St. Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks, I was looking into getting one of those for YT, so I appreciate it!
14th November 2019, 07:32 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Thats awesome thank you. And its nice thats its still a Pixel 4 in settings and not changed to Pixel 1 like other modules do.
14th November 2019, 07:34 PM |#4  
OP Editor in Chief
Thanks Meter: 2,028

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy19882

Thats awesome thank you. And its nice thats its still a Pixel 4 in settings and not changed to Pixel 1 like other modules do.

Yeah, I wasn't satisfied with how a bunch of other modules were adding so much unnecessary stuff. This has just the bare minimum needed to get it working.
15th November 2019, 04:53 AM |#5  
Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 48

More
this works great! I can't use google photos though
17th November 2019, 05:33 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Works great, thanks!

Anyone else notice there seems to be pixel ghosting? My original Pixel XL seemed to have hard time rendering smoothly, however movement had text semi readable, when still it was good.

However on my Pixel 4 XL, even slight movement makes text a blurry mess. Anyone know if this is an issue with display technology, or if it is a setting to fix?

I already tried:
force 90hz via developer settings
disable battery optimization for VR services, Daydream, Daydream Keyboard, and "Basic Daydream"... not sure what that last one is, but figured worth trying to disable battery optimization for that too, but no change, still blurry text at even very slight movement.
19th November 2019, 10:05 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I appreciate this sharing
28th November 2019, 01:52 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Thank you for this. Who in the world would have thought Google would discontinue this on their new phone!!
29th November 2019, 10:53 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Anyone else having issues or know of a fix with apps closing when trying to load them in Daydream?
13th December 2019, 08:18 AM |#10  
Flag Bacon le Gruyère
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Thank you ! Is this specific to Pixel 4 or can I try to apply it on different phones ?
My sister will get a Xiaomi Mi 9 lite during holidays for example, would that have a chance to be usable ?
2nd January 2020, 09:19 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Ok, I rooted my phone, installed the magisk module, and the the daydream app and keyboard. However, when I put my phone in the headset, it still gives me an error message of "incompatible phone". What am I doing wrong?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
daydream vr, google, google daydream, google pixel 4, google pixel 4 xl

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)