FORUMS

Nova Launcher

747 posts
Thanks Meter: 188

By Juice3250, Senior Member on 14th June 2020, 02:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As much as I want to use Nova Launcher, it's just not as smooth and quick as the stock Pixel Launcher. Anyone else feel this way? At the same time, I have a love/hate relationship with Pixel Launcher because I love having the icon unread notification numbers on Nova as well as being able to change the home screen grid size. In the end, though, Nova is just not as quick loading apps and the app drawer.
15th June 2020, 11:17 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
I agree Google isn't making it easy to use another launcher on Pixel phones. It's a shame.

Nova is definitely not as smooth as the Pixel launcher. But Nova has so many advantages for me that I'll take its options over overall smoothness any day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghisy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ghisy Ad-Free
15th June 2020, 02:28 PM |#3  
Flag Mannheim
Thanks Meter: 1,405

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghisy

I agree Google isn't making it easy to use another launcher on Pixel phones. It's a shame.

Nova is definitely not as smooth as the Pixel launcher. But Nova has so many advantages for me that I'll take its options over overall smoothness any day.

Same here.
15th June 2020, 07:15 PM |#4  
FrEsNo CA
Thanks Meter: 267

More
U guys can use one plus launcher, one UI launcher and a custom pixel launcher as well with More customizations. There's a thread on telegram.
15th June 2020, 08:07 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Action Launcher does pretty much everything Nova can do and it does everything stock pixel launcher does too. Including copying from recents screen and using Android 10 gestures.

Launchers can add the ability to work correctly on Pixels, Google opened up the ability for 3rd party launchers in December, Action Launcher is only one I know of that can do it without using quickstep or magisk.
15th June 2020, 08:32 PM |#6  
FrEsNo CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartymcfly

Action Launcher does pretty much everything Nova can do and it does everything stock pixel launcher does too. Including copying from recents screen and using Android 10 gestures.

Launchers can add the ability to work correctly on Pixels, Google opened up the ability for 3rd party launchers in December, Action Launcher is only one I know of that can do it without using quickstep.

The ones I'm referring to don't require quickstep either, just flash in magisk
15th June 2020, 08:38 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterlgk

The ones I'm referring to don't require quickstep either, just flash in magisk

Action Launcher doesn't require magisk.
15th June 2020, 08:47 PM |#8  
FrEsNo CA

More
Quote:

Action Launcher doesn't require magisk.

Fully aware, just providing more options
15th June 2020, 10:50 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I keep seeing these threads where at least one person claims Nova doesn't work correctly. Last year, I would have agreed... but I've been using Nova for months and I have forgotten about any drawbacks if there are any. The only differences I remember are a couple animations and the recents menu doesn't have suggestion icons? (which never suggested apps I wanted to use, so I don't miss it)

What's the smoothness that people are complaining about? The animations run as fast as my finger pushes things around... Is it just the quality and type of animations? If so, I want functionality far over such things. Having to use substratum/magisk to customize the Pixel Launcher was way worse than recreating my layout in Nova. If only things like TeslaUnread were still officially supported... but Google likes killing off useful things.

Feel free to help me understand what I'm missing.
The Following User Says Thank You to jljtgr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jljtgr Ad-Free
16th June 2020, 12:52 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljtgr

I keep seeing these threads where at least one person claims Nova doesn't work correctly. Last year, I would have agreed... but I've been using Nova for months and I have forgotten about any drawbacks if there are any. The only differences I remember are a couple animations and the recents menu doesn't have suggestion icons? (which never suggested apps I wanted to use, so I don't miss it)

What's the smoothness that people are complaining about? The animations run as fast as my finger pushes things around... Is it just the quality and type of animations? If so, I want functionality far over such things. Having to use substratum/magisk to customize the Pixel Launcher was way worse than recreating my layout in Nova. If only things like TeslaUnread were still officially supported... but Google likes killing off useful things.

Feel free to help me understand what I'm missing.

Nova says in the settings that Google has not made it possible for Nova to use Android 10 gestures correctly. Google has made it work, but Nova hasn't been updated to allow it yet.
16th June 2020, 01:34 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

Nova says in the settings that Google has not made it possible for Nova to use Android 10 gestures correctly. Google has made it work, but Nova hasn't been updated to allow it yet.

In my opinion, the warning is wrong. Back when I first got my phone, like half of the gestures didn't quite work. Now everything works for me.

At Nova's homescreen...
Swipe from side: Isn't triggered because you can't go back from home. Just flips pages.
Swipe from bottom: Opens app search. I'm not sure if the gesture is doing this or Nova is.
Swipe from bottom & hold: Opens recents.
Swipe from corner: Shows assistant overlay.

Everything basic works. I don't have palm swipe screenshots enabled.
The Following User Says Thank You to jljtgr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jljtgr Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)