Pixel C with Oreo 8.1 Unlock bootloader

Search This thread

pmartin

Oct 23, 2009
Hello!
I try to unlock my bootloader with magisk but it does not work.
I have tried this in the picture and in the other is the result.
What did i do wrong?
Best regards
peter

Attachments

• 20181002_111710841.jpg
    20181002_111710841.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
To unlock Bootloader:

adb reboot bootloader

The device will now boot into the bootloader and say
Waiting for fastboot command...

Input the following to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot flashing unlock

You will be prompted on the tablet screen with a warning about unlocking the bootloader.
Press the power button to unlock the bootloader.
The device will reboot and say "Bootloader is unlocked and OS verification is OFF. Device will continue booting in 30 seconds." You will also hear an audible beep. You will then see some spinny stuff. This is the userdata being formatted.
When complete, the device will boot back into the bootloader and say

Boot back into Android by inputting:
fastboot reboot

Your Pixel C will be reset.

Last edited:

pmartin

Oct 23, 2009
Hello!
Thanks for your help. But i see on the pc only the information "< waiting for device >! Nothing else happend.
On the pixel is not "warning" or anything else.
Can anyone help.
Best regards
Peter

pmartin

Oct 23, 2009
hello!
I changed the driver!
Now it works
thanks for the help!
best regards
peter

pmartin

Oct 23, 2009
Hello Mark!
Everthing is fine now!
But it is normal that when i start the pixel it need 30sec. bevor it starts and i flash the recovery 3 times but when i start the pixel with "loundness up and power on" there is no recovery menue.
What can i do?
Best regards
peter
11.10.2018 @Mark! Now it works! I found the way for the TWRP. Thanks!
Best regards
peter

Last edited:

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
There is nothing any one can do about the 30s delay in starting I'm afraid.
I only ever see that when I reflash every month the latest factory image security update so I can live with it.
Flashing TWRP is easy.

Install Custom Recovery:

Input the following:
adb reboot bootloader

With the Pixel C in the Fastboot bootloader and the recovery file in your ADB directory, input the following:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.2.3-0-dragon.img

Immediately reboot to TWRP Recovery by 'Power + Volume down' until screen turns off, keep pressing Volume down to boot into Coreboot Bootloader. Navigate to 'Reboot into Android Recovery' with Volume down and then press Power button to select.

In TWRP when asked for encryption password, type your password.

Last edited:

pmartin

Oct 23, 2009
There is nothing any one can do about the 30s delay in starting I'm afraid.
I only ever see that when I reflash every month the latest factory image security update so I can live with it.
Flashing TWRP is easy.

Install Custom Recovery:

Input the following:
adb reboot-bootloader

With the Pixel C in the Fastboot bootloader and the recovery file in your ADB directory, input the following:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.2.3-0-dragon.img

Immediately reboot to TWRP Recovery by 'Power + Volume down' until screen turns off, keep pressing Volume down to boot into Coreboot Bootloader. Navigate to 'Reboot into Android Recovery' with Volume down and then press Power button to select.

In TWRP when asked for encryption password, type your password.

Hello Mark!
If i do this then i am going to "save mode" not to recovery.
I fund no way.
Best regards
peter

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
I'm not sure I understand.
Are you saying that when you select Power + Volume Down and then 'Reboot into Android Recovery' it goes into Safe Mode?
Does TWRP appear to install OK when you fastboot flash it?

b1ggjoe

Never seen or read about that before.
Flash entire factory image and start again?

Hello there @m+a+r+k,

I noticed that your signature indicates that you have a Chrome Pixel C, with Stock Oreo 8.1 rooted. I purchased my Pixel C back in late 2016 and JUST NOW opened the package for the first time ever LOL. What can I say, work has been keeping me extremely busy.

Anyway, as I normally do with my Android devices (Usually before purchasing them), I start looking at how solid is the 'Alternative Dev Community', for things like rooting, custom recovery, custom kernels, custom roms, etc.

After doing some searching and reading, I was beginning to lean towards just rooting and installing the custom recovery but keeping everything stock. Then I saw your signature.

If possible, what advice can you provide me with regarding this tablet and the current 'Alternative Dev' community?

There doesn't appear to be that many choices with Custom ROMs and so forth. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

BJ

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
I'd just root it and install TWRP.
I'm happy with 8.1. Every month I download the new factory image flash system.img, vendor.img and boot.img to update it.
I don't know what your experience of this is, I can put instructions up here if you need them.

I can't believe you had a Pixel C sitting in its box all this time! You were so busy you didn't even have half an hour to unpack it out of curiosity? :)

b1ggjoe

I'd just root it and install TWRP.
I'm happy with 8.1. Every month I download the new factory image flash system.img, vendor.img and boot.img to update it.
I don't know what your experience of this is, I can put instructions up here if you need them.

I can't believe you had a Pixel C sitting in its box all this time! You were so busy you didn't even have half an hour to unpack it out of curiosity? :)

Hey there @m+a+r+k,

Yes, if you could please post some instructions, that would be awesome. That way, I don't end up trying to follow outdated material. Also yes...I've been extremely busy even relocated to another State during this time LOL. I even have the following NAS still sitting in the box for the past year, brand-new and unopened: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/tvs-473 . Haha I even have the following Firewall waiting for me for the last 6 months: https://www.netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-3100.html.

I haven't even had the chance to update my XDA signature on here LOL

BJ

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
Apologies if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs.
I make no promises, this worked for me. I can't be held responsible for any damage (unlikely) caused when attempting this.

You will need the latest (important) adb and fastboot package. You don't need the rest of the SDK Platform Tools.
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools#download and choose which platform you have. Unpack and copy folder to Program Files (x86) or whatever.

Download latest TWRP from this forum
Download Magisk 17.2 from https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk

Enable developer mode
Go to Settings > About tablet
Tap on "Build Number" 7 times until it says "You are now a developer"

Enable OEM Unlocking
Go to Settings > Developer options
Enable "OEM Unlocking"
Tap on Enable when a disclaimer pops up

Enable USB Debugging (ADB)
Enable "USB debugging"
Tap on OK when prompted with a disclaimer
If the ADB USB driver has been installed, you will see a popup that says "The computer's RSA key fingerprint is: xx:xx:xx:xx(blah blah)"
Check the box next to "Always allow from this computer"
Tap on OK

Unlock Bootloader
Connect Pixel C to PC with USB power cable.
PC should install drivers (fingers crossed).
Open a Command Prompt window so that it points to the SDK Platform Tools folder.
[Type commands in blue]

Type
adb devices
Do you get a response with a number? If not you don't have a connection and drivers may not be installed or USB Debugging enabled. Windows 7 and 10 recognized Pixel C OK for me.

adb reboot bootloader

The device will now boot into the bootloader and say "Waiting for fastboot command..."

fastboot flashing unlock

You will be prompted on the tablet screen with a warning about unlocking the bootloader.
The device will reboot and say "Bootloader is unlocked and OS verification is OFF. Device will continue booting in 30 seconds." You will also hear an audible beep. You will then see some spinny stuff. This is the userdata being formatted.
When complete, the device will boot back into the bootloader and say "Waiting for fastboot command..."

fastboot reboot

Your Pixel C will be reset, so you will need to re-enable USB debugging.
Connect to your wireless network, set up your lock screen password and then skip past everything else in the initial setup, as all of this setup info may be wiped again later on.
Enable "USB Debugging" again.
When you are happy copy the Magisk.zip file to Pixel C Downloads folder.

Install Custom Recovery
Input the following:
adb reboot bootloader

The device will now boot into the bootloader and say "Waiting for fastboot command..."

With the Pixel C in the Fastboot bootloader and the TWRP recovery file in your ADB directory, input the following:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.2.1-0-dragon.img <or whatever the name of the TWRP file>

If OK: THIS IS IMPORTANT If you reboot the device back into Android, it will write over the custom recovery with the stock one. Reboot to TWRP Recovery by holding down "Power button + Volume Down button" until screen turns off, keep pressing Volume Down to boot into Coreboot Bootloader. Navigate to "Reboot into Android Recovery" with Volume Down button and then press Power button to select.

You should now boot into TWRP. You'll be asked for encryption password - it is your lock screen password or if no password has been set use "default_password".

You can now play with settings in TWRP (colour, clock etc).
Make a Nandroid Backup.

Install root
In TWRP select Install menu and select the Magisk zip file. Drag the bar to the right. When finished Wipe Caches.

At main menu Reboot to System and set up your Pixel C.

Install Magisk Manager apk.
Install one of the many free Root Checker apps to check all is OK.

Phew...
I've probably missed something...

Thanks to b1ggjoe and gargamon for being my guinea pigs on this script :)

Last edited:
Reactions: b1ggjoe

b1ggjoe

I make no promises, this worked for me. I can't be held responsible for any damage (unlikely) caused when attempting this.

You will need the latest (important) adb and fasttboot package. You don't need the rest of the SDK Platform Tools.
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools#download and choose which platform you have. Unpack and copy folder to Program Files (x86) or whatever.

Enable developer mode

Enable OEM Unlocking
Enable "OEM Unlocking"

Enable "USB debugging"
If the ADB USB driver has been installed, you will see a popup that says "The computer's RSA key fingerprint is: xx:xx:xx:xx(blah blah)"
Tap on OK

Unlock Bootloader
Open a Command Prompt window so that it points to the SDK Platform Tools folder. [Type commands in blue]

adb devices
Do you get a response with a number? If not you don't have a connection and drivers may not be installed or USB Debugging enabled. Windows 7 and 10 recognized Pixel C OK for me.

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flashing unlock

When complete, the device will boot back into the bootloader and say "Waiting for fastboot command..."

fastboot reboot

Connect to your wireless network, set up your lock screen password and then skip past everything else in the initial setup, as all of this setup info may be wiped again later on. Enable "USB Debugging again.

Install Custom Recovery
Input the following:
adb reboot bootloader

With the Pixel C in the Fastboot bootloader and the TWRP recovery file in your ADB directory, input the following:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.2.1-0-dragon.img <or whatever the name of the TWRP file>

If OK: THIS IS IMPORTANT If you reboot the device back into Android, it will write over the custom recovery with the stock one. Reboot to TWRP Recovery by holding down "Power button + Volume Down button" until screen turns off, keep pressing Volume Down to boot into Coreboot Bootloader. Navigate to "Reboot into Android Recovery" with Volume Down button and then press Power button to select.

You should now boot into TWRP. You'll be asked for encryption password - it is your lock screen password or if not set "default_password".

You can now play with settings in TWRP and Reboot into System and set up your Pixel C.
At some point when you are happy copy the Magisk.zip file to Downloads folder.

Install root
Reboot into recovery
adb reboot recovery
or Reboot to TWRP Recovery by holding down "Power button + Volume Down button" until screen turns off, keep pressing Volume Down to boot into Coreboot Bootloader. Navigate to "Reboot into Android Recovery" with Volume Down button and then press Power button to select.

In TWRP select Install menu and select the Magisk zip file. Drag the bar to the right. When finished Wipe Caches.
At main menu Reboot to System.

Phew...

Thank you Sir!!!!!!! Ok, I will try this out this evening right after work...can't wait!!

Thanks again,

BJ

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You will need the latest (important) adb and fastboot package. You don't need the rest of the SDK Platform Tools.

Enable developer mode

Enable OEM Unlocking
    Enable "OEM Unlocking"

Enable "USB debugging"
    Tap on OK

Unlock Bootloader
    Connect Pixel C to PC with USB power cable.
    PC should install drivers (fingers crossed).
    Open a Command Prompt window so that it points to the SDK Platform Tools folder.
    [Type commands in blue]

Type
    adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flashing unlock

fastboot reboot

Connect to your wireless network, set up your lock screen password and then skip past everything else in the initial setup, as all of this setup info may be wiped again later on.
    Enable "USB Debugging" again.
    When you are happy copy the Magisk.zip file to Pixel C Downloads folder.

Install Custom Recovery
    Input the following:
    adb reboot bootloader

You should now boot into TWRP. You'll be asked for encryption password - it is your lock screen password or if no password has been set use "default_password".

You can now play with settings in TWRP (colour, clock etc).
    Make a Nandroid Backup.

Install root

At main menu Reboot to System and set up your Pixel C.

Install one of the many free Root Checker apps to check all is OK.

Phew...

Thanks to b1ggjoe and gargamon for being my guinea pigs on this script :)