FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.0.0-0 for the Pixel C (dragon-ryu) :: Current: 02-11-2016-1

586 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,062
 
By cheep5k8, Senior Member on 8th January 2016, 01:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is UNOFFICIAL TWRP for the Pixel C. That said, the TeamWin team greatly helped me in getting this working. But at the same time, neither TeamWin nor me take any responsibility whatsoever for any undesired outcome resulting from any kind of use of this project and project files! If you don't exactly know what you're doing then just walk away and do something good. Don't touch any options of which you don't exactly know what they're for!

What works:

* So far, everything; encryption support should work, but some feedback on this would be welcome

Problems:

* The GUI will be sometimes slow, sometimes super slow. This is probably due to the high screen resolution of the Pixel C.

How to install:

- Unlock bootloader
- In the bootloader, run "fastboot flash recovery <.img file>"
- Reboot into Pixel C bootloader
- Boot into recovery (or later on/from Android through "adb reboot recovery")

If the recovery doesn't stick after booting into Android:

- Do the install procedure as above
- Do NOT reboot into Android
- Press Vol-Down + Power until you see the bootloader menu
- Select "Boot into Android Recovery"
- When in TWRP, mount system
- Using TWRP's File Manager, or using adb, delete the file "/system/bin/install-recovery.sh"
- Reboot

After doing this, OTAs won't work any longer, but they wouldn't work anyway after installing TWRP. Just so you know

DOWNLOAD

twrp-3.0.0-0-dragon-ryu-02-11-2016-1.img
SHA1 hash: 3e97aae6cc18975683eda2bd3732faaecec14166

Changelog

:: 01-19-2016-1

- Removed screen timeout by default, since the GUI is very slow and the screen unlock slider is very hard to use

- Added an option to fix the Fastboot Full Cap flag directly from TWRP; you find the option in "Advanced". If the Pixel C should ever not let you flash in fastboot, boot into TWRP, select Advanced -> Fix Fastboot, swipe to confirm, and you're set.

:: 02-11-2016-1

- Rebased on twrp/android-6.0 branch (i.e. upgraded to TWRP 3.0.0-0)

The recovery is based on the Pixel C stock kernel.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to cheep5k8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cheep5k8 Ad-Free
 
 
8th January 2016, 02:45 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Awesome! I can survive without root for the time being but being able to enable multiwindow would be amazing!

Thanks!

Edit: I am getting a FAILED (remote: unsupported command) error and cant flash this. Anyone know a work around?
8th January 2016, 04:17 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Jersey City
Thanks Meter: 259
 
Donate to Me
More
Worked fine for me with "fastboot flash recovery [image name]" did you unlock your bootloader? Also root works just fine, you just have to boot from your PC.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
8th January 2016, 04:47 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando56894

Worked fine for me with "fastboot flash recovery [image name]" did you unlock your bootloader? Also root works just fine, you just have to boot from your PC.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I did unlock my bootloader but can't get anywhere. Tried updating my sdk, drivers everything. I guess I will have to keep playing with it.

Edit: I relocked my bootloader, and then unlocked it again and now it is working. If anyone else runs into this give it a try.
8th January 2016, 06:52 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 90
 
More
it successfully installed on my pixel c. is reachable as the Android Recovery option. and boots to bootloader to allow boot of boot.img
this is a good thing. thanks to all involved.
it's been 1 month since release and good way to celebrate.
8th January 2016, 12:34 PM |#6  
xennos's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Good work. Thanks you
8th January 2016, 02:37 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
More
hooray thanks! just to clarify: I need encryption disabled to use twrp or just to flash SuperSU?
I'm currently using phhusson's noverity boot-img to boot and with a modified vendor img root is working fine while encryption is enabled ... just having to boot via fastboot every time is a bit awkward. And since I don't know what happens if the device got stuck and reboots itselfe without the modfied boot it would be awesome to have at least a nandroid backup
8th January 2016, 02:51 PM |#8  
cheep5k8's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 1,062
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doumer

hooray thanks! just to clarify: I need encryption disabled to use twrp or just to flash SuperSU?
I'm currently using phhusson's noverity boot-img to boot and with a modified vendor img root is working fine while encryption is enabled ... just having to boot via fastboot every time is a bit awkward. And since I don't know what happens if the device got stuck and reboots itselfe without the modfied boot it would be awesome to have at least a nandroid backup

Hey... You can use TWRP even with encryption enabled, you just can't write anything to /data.

However for the next build I'm going to enable TWRP's decryption option and see if it works with the Pixel C. If it does I'll post a new build this evening (European Time).

I tried the systemless SuperSU on a decrypted /data partition but it wouldn't work (bootloop), clearly there's a lot of ground to cover here, but like I said maybe the decryption functionality will help us here.

EDIT: I'm also working on a boot.img with disabled forced encryption. Looks like we're going to get proper root very soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheep5k8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cheep5k8 Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 04:48 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 1,676
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheep5k8

This is UNOFFICIAL TWRP for the Pixel C. That said, the TeamWin team greatly helped me in getting this working. But at the same time, neither TeamWin nor me take any responsibility whatsoever for any undesired outcome resulting from any kind of use of this project and project files! If you don't exactly know what you're doing then just walk away and do something good. Don't touch any options of which you don't exactly know what they're for!

What works:

* Well, basically everything IN TWRP works, it's just that without a kernel that disables forced encryption this is not of very much use. I tried flashing SuperSU, but it wouldn't work properly.

Problems:

* The GUI will be sometimes slow, sometimes super slow. This is apparently still a problem with how TWRP uses the graphics mode that is used on the Pixel C. Best is if you immediately disable the screen lock once you boot into TWRP because the unlock slider is abysmally sluggish.


How to install:

- Unlock bootloader
- In the bootloader, run "fastboot flash recovery <.img file>"
- Reboot into Pixel C coreboot bootloader
- Boot into recovery (or later on/from Android through "adb reboot recovery")

DOWNLOAD

2.8.7.0-01082016-1



Hello thank you for this. Yesterday I tried to build as well twrp but it wasn't fully working.
I just imported this config with TW_INCLUDE_L_CRYPTO := true && TW_INCLUDE_CRYPTO := true

I didnt copy paste the twrp.fstab I added but added its path to BOAR_smthing.

Also I used omnirom's android-6.0 revision with dragon's device tree.

The recovery seems to boot, as
Code:
adb devices
returns XXXXXx recovery.

Also I can reach the device's shell with adb shell. Just the screen stays black.

I was wondering if I missed something. Is your device tree available online ?
8th January 2016, 04:50 PM |#10  
cheep5k8's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 1,062
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaon




Hello thank you for this. Yesterday I tried to build as well twrp but it wasn't fully working.
I just imported this config with TW_INCLUDE_L_CRYPTO := true && TW_INCLUDE_CRYPTO := true

I didnt copy paste the twrp.fstab I added but added its path to BOAR_smthing.

Also I used omnirom's android-6.0 revision with dragon's device tree.

The recovery seems to boot, as
Code:
adb devices
returns XXXXXx recovery.

Also I can reach the device's shell with adb shell. Just the screen stays black.

I was wondering if I missed something. Is your device tree available online ?

Not yet. I'm going to upload it later on to the TWRP devs for official inclusion.

You need to merge the minui patch so TWRP can use DRM for video on the Pixel C; there is no fb0 device.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheep5k8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cheep5k8 Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 07:21 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 90
 
More
there were some new boot images out today. i flashed one of them. when i boot to recovery the sdcard is not able to be mounted. do you have any suggestions on what i need to do or look at in order to get it fixed?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
twrp pixel c

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes