323 posts
Thanks Meter: 145

By Sakete, Senior Member on 10th December 2016, 02:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Stock Pixel/PixelXL Kernel + SafetyNet Patch
Current version: android-msm-marlin-3.18-nougat-mr1
Suitable for build: NMF26U
Security patch level: January 5, 2017

I compiled the stock kernel for the Pixel/PixelXL (they both use the same kernel) and applied the SafetyNet patch by sultanxda. The kernel name says marlin, but this also works on sailfish. Google just created one kernel that works on both sailfish (Pixel) and marlin (Pixel XL) devices.

I posted this over in the Pixel thread (as I have the regular Pixel), but thought I'd share it over here as well.

Use case for this kernel:
- If you want to stay completely stock, but have an unlocked bootloader, the SafetyNet is tripped which disables features such as Android Pay.
- This kernel is completely stock except for the addition of a patch that removes the SafetyNet check.
- If you do not have an unlocked bootloader there is no need to use this kernel. It's exactly the same as the kernel included in the stock builds, except with the addition of the SafetyNet patch.

Installation:
- Download attached .zip and unzip into a folder
- Reboot device into bootloader (power down device, then Power + Volume down)
- Connect device to computer
- Verify connection by typing 'fastboot devices'. Your device should show up (check serial number)
- Enter command: fastboot flash kernel <kernel_image>
- Once flashing is complete, enter command: fastboot reboot
- Disconnect device and wait for reboot sequence to complete.
- You now have a stock Pixel with an unlocked bootloader that can use Android Pay

**WARNING**
If flashing this kernel for whatever reason ruins your device, please don't hold me accountable. Use this at your own risk!

And otherwise, I'm not a professional developer, just a hobbyist. Please don't ask me for a ton of help, I only created this kernel because I want to run completely stock, but still use Android Pay while having an unlocked bootloader in case I ever decide to root my device in the future (am running a Verizon Pixel). I will try to maintain this kernel with each new release until I lose interest

Downloads:
NMF26U
All versions
The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to Sakete For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sakete Ad-Free

10th December 2016, 04:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Not sure why no ones replied here yet! - it's no use to me but thank you very much
The Following User Says Thank You to XtraArrow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift XtraArrow Ad-Free
10th December 2016, 05:06 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Just downloaded and tried to install using fastboot but my device is stuck in a bootloop My bootloader is unlocked and I had previously rooted using twrp but I was using the stock recovery. I was on version NMF26O. I'm going to try re-rooting again and see if that fixes it.
10th December 2016, 06:27 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
I don't know how this will interact with rooted devices. I'm personally not rooted and I don't have any issues with this kernel. Try being fully stock first before flashing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sakete For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sakete Ad-Free
10th December 2016, 07:31 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakete

I don't know how this will interact with rooted devices. I'm personally not rooted and I don't have any issues with this kernel. Try being fully stock first before flashing this.

I might try out a few things later and try different versions of root and post if anything works Thanks mate
10th December 2016, 10:24 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 209

Donate to Me
More
THANK YOU! I've been looking for a completely stock kernel that would let me use Android Pay with an unlocked bootloader! Any plans to do this for other Nexus phones, like the 5X?
10th December 2016, 11:53 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iissmart

THANK YOU! I've been looking for a completely stock kernel that would let me use Android Pay with an unlocked bootloader! Any plans to do this for other Nexus phones, like the 5X?

I'll only do it for the Pixel as that's the only phone I have. It's not super difficult to do this yourself though, if you're somewhat technical it's pretty straightforward to do.
11th December 2016, 01:16 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I have TWRP updated, newest build F260 and followed the steps but still unable to use Android Pay. Says it cant verify the device or software.
EDIT:Im dumb didn't read that it wasn't compatible with root.. just unlocked bootloader.
11th December 2016, 04:16 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostENVY

I have TWRP updated, newest build F260 and followed the steps but still unable to use Android Pay. Says it cant verify the device or software.
EDIT:Im dumb didn't read that it wasn't compatible with root.. just unlocked bootloader.

Yeah, if you're rooted, Android Pay will not work. There is a workaround however. You can add cards to Android Pay before you're rooted. If you root after that, Android Pay should work with the cards you've added. You just won't be able to add new cards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakete For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sakete Ad-Free
11th December 2016, 09:49 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Thanks for the kernel, just want to ask one question:

I have unlocked bootloader + systemless root, when I power up my phone, there is a yellow warning on the boot screen, if I use this patched kernel, will the yellow waning be gone as well ?
11th December 2016, 11:40 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 19,954

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchmice

Thanks for the kernel, just want to ask one question:

I have unlocked bootloader + systemless root, when I power up my phone, there is a yellow warning on the boot screen, if I use this patched kernel, will the yellow waning be gone as well ?

You mean the orange warning? That's because unlocked bootloader. Only with locked bootloader the warning disappears.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kernel, safetynet, stock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)