[KERNEL] [NMF26U] [Jan 4] Stock Kernel + SafetyNet Patch

Search This thread

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
Stock Pixel/PixelXL Kernel + SafetyNet Patch
Current version: android-msm-marlin-3.18-nougat-mr1
Suitable for build: NMF26U
Security patch level: January 5, 2017

I compiled the stock kernel for the Pixel/PixelXL (they both use the same kernel) and applied the SafetyNet patch by sultanxda. The kernel name says marlin, but this also works on sailfish. Google just created one kernel that works on both sailfish (Pixel) and marlin (Pixel XL) devices.

I posted this over in the Pixel thread (as I have the regular Pixel), but thought I'd share it over here as well.

Use case for this kernel:
- If you want to stay completely stock, but have an unlocked bootloader, the SafetyNet is tripped which disables features such as Android Pay.
- This kernel is completely stock except for the addition of a patch that removes the SafetyNet check.
- If you do not have an unlocked bootloader there is no need to use this kernel. It's exactly the same as the kernel included in the stock builds, except with the addition of the SafetyNet patch.

Installation:
- Download attached .zip and unzip into a folder
- Reboot device into bootloader (power down device, then Power + Volume down)
- Connect device to computer
- Verify connection by typing 'fastboot devices'. Your device should show up (check serial number)
- Enter command: fastboot flash kernel <kernel_image>
- Once flashing is complete, enter command: fastboot reboot
- Disconnect device and wait for reboot sequence to complete.
- You now have a stock Pixel with an unlocked bootloader that can use Android Pay

**WARNING**
If flashing this kernel for whatever reason ruins your device, please don't hold me accountable. Use this at your own risk!

And otherwise, I'm not a professional developer, just a hobbyist. Please don't ask me for a ton of help, I only created this kernel because I want to run completely stock, but still use Android Pay while having an unlocked bootloader in case I ever decide to root my device in the future (am running a Verizon Pixel). I will try to maintain this kernel with each new release until I lose interest :)

Downloads:
NMF26U
All versions

Last edited:

ash123456678

Aug 20, 2012
Just downloaded and tried to install using fastboot but my device is stuck in a bootloop :( My bootloader is unlocked and I had previously rooted using twrp but I was using the stock recovery. I was on version NMF26O. I'm going to try re-rooting again and see if that fixes it.

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
I don't know how this will interact with rooted devices. I'm personally not rooted and I don't have any issues with this kernel. Try being fully stock first before flashing this.

Reactions: ash123456678

ash123456678

Aug 20, 2012
I don't know how this will interact with rooted devices. I'm personally not rooted and I don't have any issues with this kernel. Try being fully stock first before flashing this.

I might try out a few things later and try different versions of root and post if anything works ;) Thanks mate

iissmart

Aug 7, 2010
THANK YOU! I've been looking for a completely stock kernel that would let me use Android Pay with an unlocked bootloader! Any plans to do this for other Nexus phones, like the 5X?

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
THANK YOU! I've been looking for a completely stock kernel that would let me use Android Pay with an unlocked bootloader! Any plans to do this for other Nexus phones, like the 5X?

I'll only do it for the Pixel as that's the only phone I have. It's not super difficult to do this yourself though, if you're somewhat technical it's pretty straightforward to do.

ghostENVY

Jul 25, 2011
I have TWRP updated, newest build F260 and followed the steps but still unable to use Android Pay. Says it cant verify the device or software.
EDIT:Im dumb didn't read that it wasn't compatible with root.. just unlocked bootloader.

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
I have TWRP updated, newest build F260 and followed the steps but still unable to use Android Pay. Says it cant verify the device or software.
EDIT:Im dumb didn't read that it wasn't compatible with root.. just unlocked bootloader.

Yeah, if you're rooted, Android Pay will not work. There is a workaround however. You can add cards to Android Pay before you're rooted. If you root after that, Android Pay should work with the cards you've added. You just won't be able to add new cards.

churchmice

Nov 20, 2010
Thanks for the kernel, just want to ask one question:

I have unlocked bootloader + systemless root, when I power up my phone, there is a yellow warning on the boot screen, if I use this patched kernel, will the yellow waning be gone as well ?

Tylog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for the kernel, just want to ask one question:

I have unlocked bootloader + systemless root, when I power up my phone, there is a yellow warning on the boot screen, if I use this patched kernel, will the yellow waning be gone as well ?

You mean the orange warning? That's because unlocked bootloader. Only with locked bootloader the warning disappears.

ghostENVY

Jul 25, 2011
Yeah, if you're rooted, Android Pay will not work. There is a workaround however. You can add cards to Android Pay before you're rooted. If you root after that, Android Pay should work with the cards you've added. You just won't be able to add new cards.

Holy **** thanks for the advice I went ahead and unistalled SuperSU and I added my cards! Thanks!

Reactions: JimSmith94

ghostENVY

Jul 25, 2011
EDIT: I went to my local McDonalds and tried to pay it said "it couldn't authenticate the device" after adding my cards. This is with root just fyi maybe systemless root will have success.

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
I believe a clue of posts up in this thread, someone posted that if you add the cards before you root, Android pay will work for those cards.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA-Developers mobile app

Correct, try adding cards before rooting. Once cards are added, root your phone and Android Pay should still work for making payments, you just can't add new cards to it (you'll have to unroot first for that).

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
EDIT: I went to my local McDonalds and tried to pay it said "it couldn't authenticate the device" after adding my cards. This is with root just fyi maybe systemless root will have success.

Oh weird, maybe it doesn't work then? Or it could be another issue. I got this idea from someone else who said it works for him. I myself am not rooted so can't verify otherwise.

cityuk

Jul 9, 2011
Hello, will this still get OTA's and install them / or be able to sideload them???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stock Pixel/PixelXL Kernel + SafetyNet Patch
    Current version: android-msm-marlin-3.18-nougat-mr1
    Suitable for build: NMF26U
    Security patch level: January 5, 2017

I compiled the stock kernel for the Pixel/PixelXL (they both use the same kernel) and applied the SafetyNet patch by sultanxda. The kernel name says marlin, but this also works on sailfish. Google just created one kernel that works on both sailfish (Pixel) and marlin (Pixel XL) devices.

I posted this over in the Pixel thread (as I have the regular Pixel), but thought I'd share it over here as well.

Use case for this kernel:
    - If you want to stay completely stock, but have an unlocked bootloader, the SafetyNet is tripped which disables features such as Android Pay.
    - This kernel is completely stock except for the addition of a patch that removes the SafetyNet check.
    - If you do not have an unlocked bootloader there is no need to use this kernel. It's exactly the same as the kernel included in the stock builds, except with the addition of the SafetyNet patch.

Installation:
    - Download attached .zip and unzip into a folder
    - Reboot device into bootloader (power down device, then Power + Volume down)
    - Connect device to computer
    - Verify connection by typing 'fastboot devices'. Your device should show up (check serial number)
    - Enter command: fastboot flash kernel <kernel_image>
    - Once flashing is complete, enter command: fastboot reboot
    - Disconnect device and wait for reboot sequence to complete.
    - You now have a stock Pixel with an unlocked bootloader that can use Android Pay

**WARNING**
    If flashing this kernel for whatever reason ruins your device, please don't hold me accountable. Use this at your own risk!

And otherwise, I'm not a professional developer, just a hobbyist. Please don't ask me for a ton of help, I only created this kernel because I want to run completely stock, but still use Android Pay while having an unlocked bootloader in case I ever decide to root my device in the future (am running a Verizon Pixel). I will try to maintain this kernel with each new release until I lose interest :)

Downloads:
    NMF26U
    All versions
    Here is a patched boot.img for NOF27B, the March update for Pixel XL.
    Update for NMF26U in OP

An updated kernel suitable for the NMF26U build is available. Includes the January security updates, along with the safetynet patch of course.

Download link is in the OP.
    Instructions in OP say extract and use "fastboot flash kernel". So what is the proper way then flash the .zip?

Ah was to flash the .zip got a success but now in a bootloop

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Had to flash the boot.img from factory images so I cant get back into os

Extract my zip to get the .img file
    Test it with "fastboot boot boot.img"
    Flash it with "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Sorry, not OP so mine is packaged differently.
    Here's my boot.img for NOF26V (February update) using the same method as Sakete.