FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT] SuperSU

11,216 posts
Thanks Meter: 85,976

By Chainfire, XDA Ad-Free Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 29th October 2016, 11:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread was originally for Pixel-specific rooting instructions, but by now the SuperSU ZIP and TWRP are fully supported:

- Fastboot boot TWRP
- Install latest SuperSU ZIP (v2.79-SR3 at the time of writing)

Note that at this time I recommend against fastboot flashing TWRP. With the Pixel's new partition layout, the recovery files are inside the boot partition, and so is SuperSU. If you flash both, SuperSU's internal boot image backup will not be of the original boot image, but of TWRP. This means that neither the 'full unroot' option in SuperSU, nor incremental OTA update through FlashFire, will work as expected.

OR

- Use CF-Auto-Root for Pixel (not released at the time of writing, but should be released soon)
The Following 184 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]

29th October 2016, 11:15 PM |#2  
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Nice work!
29th October 2016, 11:22 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4,594

Donate to Me
More
Hell Yeah!!! Thanks @Chainfire, your time as well as others that have made this and the bootloader unlock happen is appreciated very much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Zero3forlife For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 1Zero3forlife Ad-Free
29th October 2016, 11:24 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
can we flash another kernel such as elementalX on top of this?
29th October 2016, 11:26 PM |#5  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 461

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w

How does this relate?
29th October 2016, 11:28 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ker~Man

How does this relate?

because I attempted to not really thinking about that its systemless and wasnt sure if root would persist. after attempting to flash boot elementalX's kernel my device just powered off so i immediately reflashed root and all is okay now
29th October 2016, 11:36 PM |#7  
chicago
Thanks Meter: 417

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w

Lol if you read chainfires instructions you would have e your answer,but it short no, not until they add it
29th October 2016, 11:38 PM |#8  

More
I did read the readme.. so not sure what your getting at
29th October 2016, 11:39 PM |#9  
Flag Sudbury
Thanks Meter: 571

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalker0906

Lol if you read chainfires instructions you would have e your answer,but it short no, not until they add it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire

- If you want to use a custom kernel, simply 'fastboot boot' the root image again after flashing the custom kernel. This has been tested with a few custom kernels and found to work well so far.

It was a valid question since this flashing method is different than what we are used to due to the difference in partitions and the file system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexcyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lexcyn Ad-Free
29th October 2016, 11:49 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexcyn

It was a valid question since this flashing method is different than what we are used to due to the difference in partitions and the file system.

okay thanks, so i guess the answer is actually yes
30th October 2016, 12:01 AM |#11  
Flag Townsville
Thanks Meter: 583

Donate to Me
More
Thanks @Chainfire - booted and working well!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)