FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android File Transfer not working for Mac

197 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

Post Answer Email Thread
Anyone else having issues connecting Pixel XL to Mac via Android File Transfer? I had no issues with my Note 5, but the Pixel XL will not stay connected. It shows that its connecting and then I get the pop up that reads: "If your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, and then reconnect the USB cable." My screen is unlocked and all...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tacopimp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tacopimp Ad-Free
Add a Comment

28 Answers

31st January 2018, 03:22 AM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
2 Votes
Check out Pixelmate to work around issues with Android File Transfer and Pixel devices:
https://eladnava.com/manage-files-on...ith-pixelmate/
Add a Comment
26th October 2016, 11:18 PM |#5  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 113

More
1 Votes
Works fine for me. I selected "transfer files" from the usb options when it popped up and relaunched AFT
Add a Comment
27th December 2016, 03:42 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
1 Votes
Hi, i had the same issue with Macbook 13 Touchbar and Pixel XL and just found a workaround :

Use an USB-C -> USB-A adapter (i use the one provided with the pixel) then USB-A -> USB-C cable to connect the phone and it works !

Hope this helps !
Add a Comment
26th October 2016, 07:04 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
0 Votes
I had issues with AFT as well. Resorted to just pushing my content via ADB. Alternatively, you could use AirDroid and just copy the content over via Wi-Fi.
Add a Comment
26th October 2016, 08:32 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
0 Votes
same here with Google Pixel and Macbook Pro Retina late 2014
Add a Comment
26th October 2016, 09:52 PM |#4  

More
0 Votes
I know in the past if you've had Kies installed on your system AFT wouldn't work. Have to remove every trace of it to get AFT to connect.
Add a Comment
27th October 2016, 10:22 AM |#6  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 20

More
0 Votes
We are facing something similar with Google Pixel on Mac environment with Android File Transfer. Same rig used with same cables & Samsung Galaxy S7 is working perfect.
Add a Comment
27th October 2016, 11:13 AM |#7  
Flag Lowell
Thanks Meter: 8

More
0 Votes
Getting the same thing when connecting my Pixel XL to my MacBook Pro running Sierra
Add a Comment
27th October 2016, 01:49 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
0 Votes
Same issue with my Pixel and 2015 Retina Pro running El Capitan. Any solution?
Add a Comment
27th October 2016, 07:35 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 113

More
0 Votes
Am I the only one without an issue? Have you selected the correct setting on the phone?
I'm using the Pixel XL with El Capitan on a 2015 Macbook Pro Retina and a Cable Matters brand cable
Add a Comment
3rd November 2016, 10:12 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia

More
0 Votes
.any help here from anyone?
Add a Comment
21st November 2016, 12:52 PM |#11  

More
0 Votes
In case the default Android File Transfer tool can't help you transfer/move files between your Pixel and Mac, here are a few alternatives you should try, both wired and wirelessly.

https://usefulpcguide.com/17958/android-file-transfer/
Add a Comment
21st November 2016, 04:22 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
0 Votes
Adt transfers files... But not all on mac...u won't be able to transfer mp3s,bin etc filetypes...
Add a Comment
21st November 2016, 06:00 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 373

More
0 Votes
for what its worth, works fine for me.
Add a Comment
22nd November 2016, 11:28 PM |#14  

More
0 Votes
Had the same issue, removed all Samsung Stuff and Kies, and then still didnt work, found this article and did what it said and works perfect, basically the USB cable plugged into computer is default to be used as charging, http://alvinalexander.com/android/an...solved-working
No, I already know that you need to change your phone into transfer file mode. I think most people know that, you have had to do it for quite sometime now... I can't even remember when you didn't have to do this step. For me and many others it is not working.
Add a Comment
23rd November 2016, 10:58 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 97

More
0 Votes
My Pixel wouldn't talk to my Mac for the first few days. After that for some reason AFT started working and all is good now. Hope you get it working.
mta1981 28th November 2016, 03:09 AM
same problem, constantly errors during the file transfer, the files that actually make it on to the phone the apps dont read.
Add a Comment
28th November 2016, 05:36 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 215

More
0 Votes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopimp

Anyone else having issues connecting Pixel XL to Mac via Android File Transfer? I had no issues with my Note 5, but the Pixel XL will not stay connected. It shows that its connecting and then I get the pop up that reads: "If your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, and then reconnect the USB cable." My screen is unlocked and all...

I am also getting it with my mac air and pixel xl. My work around has been airdroid for now.

Ian B
sd_matto 2nd December 2016, 07:59 AM
The error I am getting is "Cannot replace file" "Cannot copy file"; I don't think this is same issue as what is reported here, so I opened a new thread. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Add a Comment
3rd December 2016, 03:05 AM |#20  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia

More
0 Votes
Airdroid is garbage since the new 4.0 update.
Add a Comment
6th December 2016, 03:52 AM |#21  
0 Votes
So I had ordered some micro usb to usb c adapters from amazon (the brand is Aukey, 3 for $7) for the many micro usb wires I have so I can use my them with my Pixel and out of curiosity I attempted to do a file transfer from my imac (5k 2015 model) using a micro usb wire with the usb c adapter and it was SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!! Once I selected file transfer in the usb options it worked flawlessly!!! I transferred a few gigs worth of music without a problem, no errors and the screen even timed out. I guess Macs dont play well with the usb c wire from Google. Someone else give it shot!!!!
Add a Comment
7th December 2016, 10:58 AM |#22  

More
0 Votes
I am having the same problem with my 2015 MBP running El Capitan and the Pixel XL - it worked just fine a few times and now it is giving me that error every single time, obviously with the screen unlocked and the USB changed to file transfer. Or any other USB choice for that matter... most frustrating
Add a Comment
28th December 2016, 01:13 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
0 Votes
On which slot are you ? Because for me, it seems I cannot use Android File Transfer from slot "b", it cannot connect, freeze,... But all is working fine on slot "a".

Exactly the same rom on both, I did a backup on slot "b" and restore it on "a". I can connect from slot "a" but not from slot "b".
cstar817 12th February 2017, 03:23 AM
deleted
Add a Comment
28th January 2017, 09:27 AM |#25  
Flag Washington, DC

More
0 Votes
The fix is here: http://www.androidauthority.com/goog...oblems-743068/

The gist is that AFT for OS X is quite old. There is a new, built from the ground up, app on the Mac App Store called HandShaker that allows files transfers from the Pixel. There is a companion app that is needed on the phone too.

Transferred 12GB of files with no issue.

Good Luck!
Add a Comment
15th February 2017, 04:43 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
0 Votes
I was just getting frustraded with all this. Tried 5 different usb c cables including the original ones and none worked.
Tried connecting a Usb C adapter to a usb OTG pen drive and that dit not work either.
Then Connected the USB adapter with a micro usb cable to the MAC and the AFT fired up after selecting file transfer and BAMMM! everything is working like a charm. With the usb c cables, my download folder was not opening at all. Now everything works.

Solution: Use a usb c adapter with a micro usb cable and things should fall into place! Good luck!
Add a Comment
15th May 2017, 03:23 AM |#28  
Wilkesboro, Or.
Thanks Meter: 25

More
0 Votes
I just suffered the same frustration on my LG G6. I ended up removing "OSXFUSE.framework"
and rebooting my Mac. I then disabled USB Debugging and AFT found my device as soon as I plugged it in.
Hope this helps.
Also suffered from this
Add a Comment
4th August 2017, 05:36 AM |#30  

More
0 Votes
AirMore can help you with it. I've been using it for quite sometime now and if perfectly works on my Android and Mac. By the way, it is online-based and it is wireless.
Add a Comment
4th August 2017, 11:16 PM |#31  
Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 274

More
0 Votes
yeah not an issue specific to Pixel, all android phones for me haven't worked properly. Wifi file transfer used to work well and was faster than some of my other phones via cable. I now just use Super Beam it is super fast (on super fast wireless AC network) and reliable.
Add a Comment
5th August 2017, 06:38 PM |#32  

More
0 Votes
Once you connect your phone to the mac. If you receive the message "If your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, and then reconnect the USB cable." Try doing the following.
Connect the USB to phone and Mac.
Tap on the phone and slide from above to See Android System notification.
Tap on the notification.
You will see few options there as "Use USB to" - by default it selects 1st options which is "Charge this device". Hence, you ant transfer file.
Change it to "Transfer Files" option.
Remove and reconnect the USB cable.
Add a Comment
6th October 2017, 02:51 PM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
0 Votes
As an alternative you an check this solution, it also allows transferring files between Android and Mac. But unlike Android File Transfer it also allows syncing data (personal, media folders).
presets 27th January 2018, 01:44 PM
It´s ridiculous... A multi billion dollar company can´t provide such basic features? I have still the same problems with my MacBook and Google Pixel (2016). So maybe next time I try the advice with the adapter or by WiFi.
Add a Comment
Post Answer Subscribe to Thread

Answer Question (no urls or BBcode)
This form is used to answer the question presented at the top of this thread. If you are asking a clarifying question or want to comment on an existing answer, please click on the comment button below that post.