FORUMS

Daydream VR?

756 posts
Thanks Meter: 113

By humdrum2009, Senior Member on 11th November 2016, 08:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Got my Daydream VR today, man phone got so hot it scared me silly.
It was so hot, I turned it off and place it under a desktop fan.

The merge VR that I bought for $17.00 at a pawn shop, heats up the phone but nothing like the Google daydream does.
This needs to be addressed by Google asap.
Although the phone warns you on screen it is overheating. Eventually we will see failures related to thermal stress.
11th November 2016, 03:49 PM |#2  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 47

Donate to Me
More
Just curious, where are you located, and how did you order the headset? I'm in Chicago, and I submitted my rebate to receive the headset through VZW on 10/20. I got confirmation that my rebate was approved on 10/30, but the rebate site didn't have any details other than that it was accepted and I should receive the rebate within the next 30 days; no tracking # for shipping, or even confirmation on where my order is.

I'm curious for the people who are receiving their Daydream View if they got it through the Play Store rebate, VZW rebate, or if they bought the headset from the Play Store directly.
11th November 2016, 03:56 PM |#3  
Flag Charleston, WV
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I preordered it thru best buy and got it yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app
11th November 2016, 07:32 PM |#4  
Flag West Warwick
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdrum2009

Got my Daydream VR today, man phone got so hot it scared me silly.
It was so hot, I turned it off and place it under a desktop fan.

The merge VR that I bought for $17.00 at a pawn shop, heats up the phone but nothing like the Google daydream does.
This needs to be addressed by Google asap.
Although the phone warns you on screen it is overheating. Eventually we will see failures related to thermal stress.

Do you have your Pixel in a case inside the headset? Are you charging it while using the headset? Both can contribute to the phone heating up.
11th November 2016, 08:33 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
No,its not charging just trying apps out.
When I googled it I found several post about the heat issue.
It gets hot enough to warm your hands in freezing weather.
What app can I use, to record temperature while I'm using the headset?
11th November 2016, 08:56 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Considering the stress testing results of the phone's thermal efficiency I find this really surprising.
11th November 2016, 09:07 PM |#7  
Westlake, OH
Thanks Meter: 418

More
Has anyone got their Free VR from Google for Pre-Ordering? I have gotten the phone but not the code for redemption.
11th November 2016, 09:12 PM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag West Chester
Thanks Meter: 3,188

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantheawesome

Considering the stress testing results of the phone's thermal efficiency I find this really surprising.

I'm not too surprised. You're putting the phone in a fabric cover with little air circulation and putting it under a heavy load. The fabric will act as an insulator just like your clothes do, and the heavy load will generate heat.

Sent from my Pixel XL
11th November 2016, 09:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Well I'm sure they weren't testing these phones with VR in commercial coolers and calling it A-OK. If that's the case VR is an utterly useless gimmick.

Only reason I'd use it is to watch movies with a cinema like experience which I imagine would be really cool. Outside of that I won't use it anyhow.
11th November 2016, 09:20 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 103

More
they were showing it off on the BBC and one of their comments said it saved you money as it heated your room while using it. so it does seem they are getting hot in it, will be interesting to hear from google on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belimawr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Belimawr Ad-Free
11th November 2016, 10:18 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belimawr

they were showing it off on the BBC and one of their comments said it saved you money as it heated your room while using it. so it does seem they are getting hot in it, will be interesting to hear from google on it.

Lol,, they are right this thing is warm.
Has to get at least 104 degrees minimum
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)