FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How is battery life on your Pixel XL? (Oreo 8.1.0)

115 posts
Thanks Meter: 67

By jericho246, Senior Member on 10th January 2018, 11:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I received a refurbished Pixel XL a few days ago and immediately updated to Oreo. The thing is, the battery life sucks. I probably got a dud because I just lost 4 percent of battery in 12 minutes of SOT while doing nothing heavy. I don't think that's normal. I tried factory reset and stuff like that but battery still drains very quickly. AccuBattery shows that my battery life is at 89%. Before I return it I'd like to hear what is battery life like for you guys on Oreo 8.1.0 Thanks
10th January 2018, 12:16 PM |#2  
Flag Wakefield
Thanks Meter: 4,861

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho246

I received a refurbished Pixel XL a few days ago and immediately updated to Oreo. The thing is, the battery life sucks. I probably got a dud because I just lost 4 percent of battery in 12 minutes of SOT while doing nothing heavy. I don't think that's normal. I tried factory reset and stuff like that but battery still drains very quickly. AccuBattery shows that my battery life is at 89%. Before I return it I'd like to hear what is battery life like for you guys on Oreo 8.1.0 Thanks

Personally I think google gimpped 8.1 to make us all upgrade to Pixel 2's I had no issues with performance/battery life on prior to Oreo suddenly my phone performs like sh!t now I get around 24hr standby with 4-5hrs sot but on N I was getting around 34-35hrs standby with 6-7hrs sot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liam_davenport For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift liam_davenport Ad-Free
10th January 2018, 12:32 PM |#3  
Flag Calcutta
Thanks Meter: 1,951

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_davenport

Personally I think google gimpped 8.1 to make us all upgrade to Pixel 2's I had no issues with performance/battery life on prior to Oreo suddenly my phone performs like sh!t now I get around 24hr standby with 4-5hrs sot but on N I was getting around 34-35hrs standby with 6-7hrs sot

Same thoughts, except its not Oreo which has degraded the backup, but 8.1 specifically which totally ****ed it up.
10th January 2018, 12:43 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 300

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_davenport

That doesn't sound right. As a company trying to build a customer base, you don't sell your next product by worsening your current product to try and get users to get the new one. For example, if car manufacturers did that with their cars by making it break down after 3-4 years, nobody would want to buy it again or even try it.

Another example but in the mobile world would be Samsung. Lots of people mention how they won't buy a Samsung product because they start lagging after a period of time. Could this be that they are doing it intentionally to make you upgrade to the next one? Imagine how many more sales they would get if their didn't "intentionally" lag their phones.
10th January 2018, 06:20 PM |#5  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

That doesn't sound right. As a company trying to build a customer base, you don't sell your next product by worsening your current product to try and get users to get the new one. For example, if car manufacturers did that with their cars by making it break down after 3-4 years, nobody would want to buy it again or even try it.

Another example but in the mobile world would be Samsung. Lots of people mention how they won't buy a Samsung product because they start lagging after a period of time. Could this be that they are doing it intentionally to make you upgrade to the next one? Imagine how many more sales they would get if their didn't "intentionally" lag their phones.

Tell that to Apple.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shawn haz root For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shawn haz root Ad-Free
10th January 2018, 07:26 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn haz root

Tell that to Apple.

?
Apple's reasoning of decreasing performance was to increase device battery longevity, not to increase sales of their next product. In fact, a dead battery which renders a phone unuseable is more likely going to present the idea of purchasing a new device versus someone who barely notices a slowdown in opening an app. I think it's more important to give a customer the option of calling emergency services through a slowdown phone versus a dead phone.

Their idea is great but implementation and transparency could have been better.

As a company, you don't give yourself premium status if you sell inferior products that easily get outdated.

TLDR: Apple products age very well, yet they still are able to empty shelves with their latest products.
11th January 2018, 02:32 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I got my Pixel XL from Google as a replacement for a Nexus 6P last September. It came with Oreo 8.0.0* and I was thrilled with the battery life, especially after the dismal battery life of the 6P. After I updated to 8.1.0 in December, my battery now is at 30% at the end of an average day, instead of 50% with 8.0.0. I'm thinking of flashing back to the last versions of 8.0.0 and taking my chances with not having the security updates.

Has anyone flashed back? Can anyone think of a reason (besides the small security risk) that I wouldn't want to do this?
12th January 2018, 10:34 AM |#8  
Flag Calcutta
Thanks Meter: 1,951

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothopera

Has anyone flashed back? Can anyone think of a reason (besides the small security risk) that I wouldn't want to do this?

LoL of course I did. Went back to 8.0 after 8.1 December release and its pathetic battery backup. Funny thing is, after flashing back 8.0 the backup didn't increase, it was same bad as it was on 8.1. And it stayed the same for first 5-6 charging cycles too, however then I started to get better for the next charging cycles, I started to get the usual 5-6 hours of SoT, but then the January 8.1 update released and I flashed it, now my battery backup is average. 4 hours of SoT with adaptive brightness enabled, 5 hours with it disabled.

If you stay indoors most of the time then absolutely disable the awfully poorly implemented adaptive brightness on 8.1. That will help you gain some minutes of SoT for sure.

Poor battery backup, swiping issues, 8.1 is one hell of a stupid release really.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

LoL keep believing that. Like these greedy ****s nowadays care about customer base, all they care about is selling their newly released devices by crapping up the old gen ones, because the old gen ones don't get manufactured any more, and the company has already brought in most of the profits from it, so no point in maintaining those phones in a good shape.

When all the 3 releases of 8.0 were fantastic and suddenly 8.1 pops up which is supposed to be an upgrade but all it brings are bugs, a rational mind will always think it's deliberate, which is the case anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ithehappy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ithehappy Ad-Free
12th January 2018, 12:18 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 609

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithehappy

LoL of course I did. Went back to 8.0 after 8.1 December release and its pathetic battery backup. Funny thing is, after flashing back 8.0 the backup didn't increase, it was same bad as it was on 8.1. And it stayed the same for first 5-6 charging cycles too, however then I started to get better for the next charging cycles, I started to get the usual 5-6 hours of SoT, but then the January 8.1 update released and I flashed it, now my battery backup is average. 4 hours of SoT with adaptive brightness enabled, 5 hours with it disabled.

If you stay indoors most of the time then absolutely disable the awfully poorly implemented adaptive brightness on 8.1. That will help you gain some minutes of SoT for sure.

Poor battery backup, swiping issues, 8.1 is one hell of a stupid release really.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

LoL keep believing that. Like these greedy ****s nowadays care about customer base, all they care about is selling their newly released devices by crapping up the old gen ones, because the old gen ones don't get manufactured any more, and the company has already brought in most of the profits from it, so no point in maintaining those phones in a good shape.

When all the 3 releases of 8.0 were fantastic and suddenly 8.1 pops up which is supposed to be an upgrade but all it brings are bugs, a rational mind will always think it's deliberate, which is the case anyway.

I think that google tried to put too many features at once WITHOUT tweaking the features for battery. They are not like apple and if they are, they are a lot less strict with it. I applied some root tweaks and got about 6 hrs of SOT, I am having the same problem after the update, but history says that google's releases slowly patch underlying issues
12th January 2018, 12:44 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithehappy

Of course a company should make it a priority to make a profit as they are in the business to make money. They aren't running a charity after all. But in my opinion, it's wrong to believe that a company is trying to sell their next product by deliberately making their products bad/inferior. Why would someone purchase a product from a company that only lasts a year or two when you can go elsewhere for a reliable product?
12th January 2018, 09:42 PM |#11  
Flag Planet Android
Thanks Meter: 185

Donate to Me
More
In all my years with Android, (since the days of the G1) I've never experienced such great battery life. I'm using the pixel XL 128gb 8.1 Oreo. Some days I finish the day with almost 10 hours screen on time with heavy use. Best battery life I've EVER had on any platform
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180112-142801.png
Views:	1914
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	4387397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180112-142807.png
Views:	1914
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	4387398  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)