FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Please help me troubleshoot why Android Pay isn't working for me.

260 posts
Thanks Meter: 62

By slickromeo, Senior Member on 16th November 2016, 02:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I Purchased the Pixel XL Directly from the google store.
It arrived in the mail just a few days ago
it is unrooted
I have not unlocked the bootloader
I am the 1st owner who set it up.

it is totally unaltered except I installed some basic apps like anyone would when they get a new phone.

when I try to add a debit card on the Pixel XL in the Android Pay app, it gives me the error message:

"Android Pay Can't be Used. Google is unable to verify that your device or the software running on it is Android compatible"

This is extremely frustrating, and this is very dissapointing to me, that a brand new Pixel XL, out of the box, after being setup cannot perform such a basic task as adding a debit card, especially since the O.S. is unaltered. and the bootloader has never been tinkered with and it is not rooted.

I called Google customer service but all they can tell me is that the error message is not supposed to come up unless the device is rooted. However my Device is NOT rooted, so what gives? nobody knows anything.

I come here as my last resort..... Will anyone please help me troubleshoot this. I would be most appreciative if anyone could help me troubleshoot this. Please & Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161115-195327.png
Views:	550
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	3938144  
The Following User Says Thank You to slickromeo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift slickromeo Ad-Free
16th November 2016, 02:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickromeo

it is unrooted

it is totally unaltered except I installed some basic apps like anyone would when they get a new phone.

when I try to add a debit card on the Pixel XL in the Android Pay app, it gives me the error message:

"Android Pay Can't be Used. Google is unable to verify that your device or the software running on it is Android compatible"

This is extremely frustrating, and this is very dissapointing to me, that a brand new Pixel XL, out of the box, after being setup cannot perform such a basic task as adding a debit card, especially since the O.S. is unaltered. and the bootloader has never been tinkered with and it is not rooted.

I called Google customer service but all they can tell me is that the error message is not supposed to come up unless the device is rooted. However my Device is NOT rooted, so what gives? nobody knows anything.

I come here as my last resort..... Will anyone please help me troubleshoot this. I would be most appreciative if anyone could help me troubleshoot this. Please & Thanks.

I didn't have this problem when I was on stock as a Verizon purchased Pixel XL owner.

However,
I am having the same problem since I rooted and unlocked the phone. I am running Verizon Pixel XL, Elements Kernel Version .7, TWRP Alpha 1.

Any help for the OP and myself would be greatly appreciated.
16th November 2016, 03:40 AM |#3  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 299

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

it is unrooted

Honestly, try a factory reset.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsuagentsmith

I didn't have this problem when I was on stock as a Verizon purchased Pixel XL owner.

However,
I am having the same problem since I rooted and unlocked the phone. I am running Verizon Pixel XL, Elements Kernel Version .7, TWRP Alpha 1.

It's not going to work for you because SafetyNet sees you have an unlocked bootloader and non stock software.
16th November 2016, 11:45 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Did u install all the Updates you got?
16th November 2016, 12:24 PM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 195

More
Quote:

it is unrooted

Edited duh missed bought from google part lol.

I would take screenshots showing bootloader is locked and tell google you have proof. Say if they dont want to fix this issue your going to file a chargeback with your credit card company that will change their tune right there.
16th November 2016, 12:54 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
I installed the OTA update for the November security updates (see attached image)

So you think the November security update messed it up??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161116-075224.png
Views:	344
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	3938487  
16th November 2016, 12:55 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
I am seriously considering a factory data reset but I'd like to see if anyone has any other alternatives first that I might try
16th November 2016, 01:49 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
If you temp disable root, does it work then?

Anyone try Magisk, or is that not advisable with the pixel?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsuagentsmith

However,

16th November 2016, 02:14 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
I spoke to Google Customer service again, i once again repeatedly told them that I have never been rooted, the bootloader had never been tinkered with......... They finally escalated me and asked me to submit a bug report. So i'm following the bug report steps now........ However I am still very frustrated and just want this to work........ If anyone else has any other troubleshooting steps for me, please share with me. I have multiple google accounts on my phone just in case that makes any difference, but I dont think it should make a difference.
16th November 2016, 02:23 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by death2all110

Honestly, try a factory reset.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

It's not going to work for you because SafetyNet sees you have an unlocked bootloader and non stock software.

I figured that was the cause, looks like a work around will have to be developed.
16th November 2016, 02:27 PM |#11  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 299

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I spoke to Google Customer service again, i once again repeatedly told them that I have never been rooted, the bootloader had never been tinkered with......... They finally escalated me and asked me to submit a bug report. So i'm following the bug report steps now........ However I am still very frustrated and just want this to work........ If anyone else has any other troubleshooting steps for me, please share with me. I have multiple google accounts on my phone just in case that makes any difference, but I dont think it should make a difference.

Did you try a factory reset?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android pay, pixel xl

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)