FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Guide] How to systemlessly root your Pixel XL on Android 8.0 (SuperSU)

268 posts
Thanks Meter: 138
 
By GroovinChip, Senior Member on 22nd August 2017, 02:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone, first time posting a guide here. I've started writing my own guides for the stuff I do to try and make it a bit more clear for myself, and I've decided to start sharing!

I literally just finished doing this on my own device, and I can confirm that it works with no issues; I'm passing SafetyNet and have root. However, as with all the other posts people make, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device! I don't think anything will happen, this process is very painless.

EDIT: It's been confirmed that SuperSu Config is not required for Android 8.0, as systemless SBIN is the default for 8.0. I had seen this before, but decided to do it anyway to be extra sure (I like the extra redundancy). I'm leaving the steps in in case others want to be extra sure of this, or want the options provided by the installer.

1) Download the modded TWRP
2) Download SuperSU
3) Download SuperSu Config
4) Download SuHide
5) Copy the modded TWRP to PlatformTools. Rename it however you like. I'm using twrp-oreo for now.
6) Copy SuperSu, SuperSuConfig, and SuHide to internal storage
7) Boot the device into bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
8) Boot into TWRP - fastboot boot twrp-oreo.img
9) Flash SuperSuConfig, then choose add more zips. Choose SuperSU.
10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.
11) Boot to system (Edit 8/28/17: DO NOT install TWRP, just boot to system)
12) Go back to bootloader and boot to TWRP
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

UPDATE 10/2 The links for SuperSu and SuHide have been updated to the latest releases.
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to GroovinChip For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GroovinChip Ad-Free
 
 
22nd August 2017, 03:25 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovinChip

Hi everyone, first time posting a guide here. I've started writing my own guides for the stuff I do to try and make it a bit more clear for myself, and I've decided to start sharing!

I literally just finished doing this on my own device, and I can confirm that it works with no issues; I'm passing SafetyNet and have root. However, as with all the other posts people make, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device! I don't think anything will happen, this process is very painless.

1) Download the modded TWRP
2) Download SuperSU
3) Download SuperSu Config
4) Download SuHide
5) Copy the modded TWRP to PlatformTools. Rename it however you like. I'm using twrp-oreo for now.
6) Copy SuperSu, SuperSuConfig, and SuHide to internal storage
7) Boot the device into bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
8) Boot into TWRP - fastboot boot twrp-oreo.img
9) Flash SuperSuConfig, then choose add more zips. Choose SuperSU.
10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.
11) Boot to system
12) Go back to bootloader and boot to TWRP
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

Thank you for this guide! I was wondering if we can use magisk instead of supersu?

Edit: I was not able to root this way. My device says it's not rooted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raazman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raazman Ad-Free
22nd August 2017, 03:50 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raazman

Thank you for this guide! I was wondering if we can use magisk instead of supersu?

Edit: I was not able to root this way. My device says it's not rooted.

Yeah I'm not sure about Magisk. I do k ow that Magisk needs a custom kernel, so that might be your issue. Did you try flashing something like Franco or ElementalX? Or did you try using my instructions specifically?

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs
22nd August 2017, 03:52 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovinChip

Hi everyone, first time posting a guide here. I've started writing my own guides for the stuff I do to try and make it a bit more clear for myself, and I've decided to start sharing!

I literally just finished doing this on my own device, and I can confirm that it works with no issues; I'm passing SafetyNet and have root. However, as with all the other posts people make, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device! I don't think anything will happen, this process is very painless.

1) Download the modded TWRP
2) Download SuperSU
3) Download SuperSu Config
4) Download SuHide
5) Copy the modded TWRP to PlatformTools. Rename it however you like. I'm using twrp-oreo for now.
6) Copy SuperSu, SuperSuConfig, and SuHide to internal storage
7) Boot the device into bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
8) Boot into TWRP - fastboot boot twrp-oreo.img
9) Flash SuperSuConfig, then choose add more zips. Choose SuperSU.
10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.
11) Boot to system
12) Go back to bootloader and boot to TWRP
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovinChip

Yeah I'm not sure about Magisk. I do k ow that Magisk needs a custom kernel, so that might be your issue. Did you try flashing something like Franco or ElementalX? Or did you try using my instructions specifically?

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs

I haven't tried magisk yet. I just tried your instructions specifically. If I wanted to remove the changes I did from your instructions and try again, would this just mean flashing stock boot.img?
22nd August 2017, 04:02 AM |#5  
Jammol's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Somewhere in Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1,953
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raazman

Thank you for this guide! I was wondering if we can use magisk instead of supersu?

Edit: I was not able to root this way. My device says it's not rooted.

I've seen some folks report that they couldn't get Magisk to work. I can't confirm that right at this moment though. You can test and see if it'll work by just using the TWRP provided. Not sure if it's based off RC2 or RC1.
22nd August 2017, 04:04 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raazman

I haven't tried magisk yet. I just tried your instructions specifically. If I wanted to remove the changes I did from your instructions and try again, would this just mean flashing stock boot.img?

It depends, are you able to boot to system? If not, like you're stuck in a bootloop, I'd suggest flashing completely back to stock. It would mean you'd lose your apps and data, but if you can't boot to system anyway then it doesn't really matter.

If you CAN boot to system, then I'd suggest just starting over and use SuperSu with SuHide. I doubt that any changes actually took place on your device since you didn't flash a custom kernel. But this is only if you can boot to system successfully.

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs
22nd August 2017, 04:10 AM |#7  
Mike02z's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Holland, PA/Lake Ariel, PA
Thanks Meter: 651
 
More
Worked great. Even let's me add a CC to Android Pay. I have not tested if it works yet.
22nd August 2017, 04:37 AM |#8  
Kisakuku's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,543
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovinChip

3) Download SuperSu Config
9) Flash SuperSuConfig, then choose add more zips. Choose SuperSU.
10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.

SBIN mode is the default one for Android 8.0, so you don't need to use SuperSUConfig at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kisakuku For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kisakuku Ad-Free
22nd August 2017, 04:37 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z

Worked great. Even let's me add a CC to Android Pay. I have not tested if it works yet.

Great!

I haven't tested my debit card after adding yet either. Been home the whole time

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs
22nd August 2017, 04:37 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 117
 
More
@GroovinChip Is your bootloader unlocked?
22nd August 2017, 04:39 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku

SBIN mode is the default one for Android 8.0, so you don't need to use SuperSUConfig at all.

Ok, I'll edit the OP. I wasn't 100% sure, that's why I did it anyway.

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes