[Guide] How to systemlessly root your Pixel XL on Android 8.0 (SuperSU)

Search This thread

GroovinChip

Aug 7, 2016
Hi everyone, first time posting a guide here. I've started writing my own guides for the stuff I do to try and make it a bit more clear for myself, and I've decided to start sharing!

I literally just finished doing this on my own device, and I can confirm that it works with no issues; I'm passing SafetyNet and have root. However, as with all the other posts people make, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device! I don't think anything will happen, this process is very painless.

EDIT: It's been confirmed that SuperSu Config is not required for Android 8.0, as systemless SBIN is the default for 8.0. I had seen this before, but decided to do it anyway to be extra sure (I like the extra redundancy). I'm leaving the steps in in case others want to be extra sure of this, or want the options provided by the installer.

1) Download the modded TWRP
2) Download SuperSU
3) Download SuperSu Config
4) Download SuHide
5) Copy the modded TWRP to PlatformTools. Rename it however you like. I'm using twrp-oreo for now.
6) Copy SuperSu, SuperSuConfig, and SuHide to internal storage
7) Boot the device into bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
8) Boot into TWRP - fastboot boot twrp-oreo.img
9) Flash SuperSuConfig, then choose add more zips. Choose SuperSU.
10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.
11) Boot to system (Edit 8/28/17: DO NOT install TWRP, just boot to system)
12) Go back to bootloader and boot to TWRP
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

UPDATE 10/2 The links for SuperSu and SuHide have been updated to the latest releases.

Last edited:

raazman

Apr 12, 2011
Hi everyone, first time posting a guide here. I've started writing my own guides for the stuff I do to try and make it a bit more clear for myself, and I've decided to start sharing!

I literally just finished doing this on my own device, and I can confirm that it works with no issues; I'm passing SafetyNet and have root. However, as with all the other posts people make, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device! I don't think anything will happen, this process is very painless.

2) Download SuperSU
4) Download SuHide
5) Copy the modded TWRP to PlatformTools. Rename it however you like. I'm using twrp-oreo for now.
10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.
11) Boot to system
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

Thank you for this guide! I was wondering if we can use magisk instead of supersu?

Edit: I was not able to root this way. My device says it's not rooted.

Last edited:

GroovinChip

Aug 7, 2016
Thank you for this guide! I was wondering if we can use magisk instead of supersu?

Yeah I'm not sure about Magisk. I do k ow that Magisk needs a custom kernel, so that might be your issue. Did you try flashing something like Franco or ElementalX? Or did you try using my instructions specifically?

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs

raazman

Apr 12, 2011

2) Download SuperSU
4) Download SuHide
11) Boot to system
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

Yeah I'm not sure about Magisk. I do k ow that Magisk needs a custom kernel, so that might be your issue. Did you try flashing something like Franco or ElementalX? Or did you try using my instructions specifically?

I haven't tried magisk yet. I just tried your instructions specifically. If I wanted to remove the changes I did from your instructions and try again, would this just mean flashing stock boot.img?

I've seen some folks report that they couldn't get Magisk to work. I can't confirm that right at this moment though. You can test and see if it'll work by just using the TWRP provided. Not sure if it's based off RC2 or RC1.

GroovinChip

Aug 7, 2016
I haven't tried magisk yet. I just tried your instructions specifically. If I wanted to remove the changes I did from your instructions and try again, would this just mean flashing stock boot.img?
It depends, are you able to boot to system? If not, like you're stuck in a bootloop, I'd suggest flashing completely back to stock. It would mean you'd lose your apps and data, but if you can't boot to system anyway then it doesn't really matter.

If you CAN boot to system, then I'd suggest just starting over and use SuperSu with SuHide. I doubt that any changes actually took place on your device since you didn't flash a custom kernel. But this is only if you can boot to system successfully.

XtraArrow

Oct 17, 2016

EDIT: It's been confirmed that SuperSu Config is not required for Android 8.0, as systemless SBIN is the default for 8.0. I had seen this before, but decided to do it anyway to be extra sure (I like the extra redundancy). I'm leaving the steps in in case others want to be extra sure of this, or want the options provided by the installer.

2) Download SuperSU
4) Download SuHide
11) Boot to system
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

Rooted perfect however I cannot uninstall system apps, how come?

Denton.S

Apr 22, 2012
Hastings
Not a stupid question :) yes, the bootloader mist be unlocked.

I was afraid you were going to say that. For one brief, glorious moment I thought I could get rid of adds without having to deal with this damn locked bootloader. My own mistake for getting the phone from EE direct. Thanks dude, much appreciated though :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2) Download SuperSU
    4) Download SuHide
    11) Boot to system (Edit 8/28/17: DO NOT install TWRP, just boot to system)
    13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

UPDATE 10/2 The links for SuperSu and SuHide have been updated to the latest releases.
    ok im at a lose of words. i had my pixel xl rooted and everything like that for awhile now with no issue. today i had an issue after trying to flash an OTA update. it wouldnt boot up, just go straight into TWRP. so i did a complete reset with the flash-all.bin.....lost all the pictures of my wife unfortnualy which im not happy about.
    but the phone is booting again now. but i cannot get superSU or even magisk on it at all. everytime it gets to the end process it shows failure-aborted. ive followed this process exactly, along with a few others online. im on 8.0 but i cannot even install the new sept update. so im assuming im still on 8.0 august. but im at a loss now i have no idea what im doing wrong ive been messing with this thing all day now and cannot get root to work sucessfully at all. any ideas? im starting to hate the damn pixel with the way google made it more difficult then it should be to root/rom i mean, isnt that the reason we all buy the nexus/pixel/google phones anyways

edit: in did try to run magisk first to give it a try since ive never used it. the "how to" i found for it said to get elementalX kernal. could that be causing superSU to not install? but even still magisk fails to install root too

1. Download the latest factory image to your computer, Platform-Tools folder
    2. Download TWRP 3.1.1-1. img for Pixel XL to your computer, Platform-Tools folder and rename it TWRP.img
    3. Download TWRP 3.1.1.-1.zip to your phone
    4. Download SuperSU 2.82. zip or Official Magisk for Pixel XL 14.3.zip to your phone
    5. Extract, the factory image and copy and paste flash-all.bat, radio.img, bootloader.img and the image.zip to the Platform-Tools folder.
    6. Edit the flash-all.bat file with a text editor remove -w and save it as flash-all.bat
    Removing the -w keeps your data.
    7. Open a command prompt
    8. Boot Bootloader on your phone and connect it to your computer
    9. Type flash-all at the command prompt.
    10. When it finishes booting, Boot the Bootloader
    11. Type fastboot boot twrp.img at the command prompt
    12. When TWRP opens, disconnect your phone from the computer tap install select the TWRP 3.1.1-1. zip file on your phone.
    13. Swipe to install
    14. When it finishes installing, tap the back button, tap reboot, tap recovery.
    15. When TWRP reboots, tap install select SuperSU.zip or Magisk.zip
    16. Swipe to install.
    You're rooted with the latest factory image. :)
    If you want to install a Custom Kernel or pass SafetyNet PM me.
    Is there a set of options you selected to use flashfire to make the OTA update work? Is there a guide somewhere?

Download the ota zip from Google. Open FF.
    Press +
    Select flash zip/ota
    Point FF to the ota zip
    Check the first box "auto mount". The third box, restore boot and recovery should be checked by default (this will probably overwrite twrp if you have it flashed, I don't know, don't have it installed). If this isn't checked check it.
    Click the check box at the top right
    Flash.
    Get a cup of coffee/sandwich, let FF do it's thing.
    It will boot once to the white google screen, then bootloop once.
    The second boot will take a while, there should be a little indicator under the google logo going left to right, KITT style. Be patient. The OS will boot updated.

If you have any problems,grab the factory image and follow the instructions in the OP.
    Thanks for the steps. Would you be so kind as to link all the files required? Also, can you elaborate on SuperSU removal please?
    There are several ways to get rid of SuperSU.
    1. Clean flash factory image.
    2. Fastboot flash boot and system image.
    3.Twrp flash osmosis SuperSU uninstaller zip.
    I can only tell you what I prefer.
    It's always, best practice, to start as fresh as possible.

1. Fastboot stock boot image and system image. Just flashing boot image doesn't get rid of all SuperSU files in system.
    2. Fastboot boot Twrp 3.1.1-0 image.
    3. Twrp install Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer image
    4. Reboot Recovery
    5. Twrp install Magisk 14.2
    6. Reboot system.

Osmosis unSU script zip
    https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133/post63615067

Twrp 3.1.1-0 fastboot image
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-3.1.1-0-fastboot-marlin.img.html

Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer zip
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.1.1-0.zip.html

Magisk 14.2
    https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589/post72588015

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

There are several ways to get rid of SuperSU.
    1. Clean flash factory image.
    2. Fastboot flash boot and system image.
    3.Twrp flash osmosis SuperSU uninstaller zip.
    I can only tell you what I prefer.
    It's always, best practice, to start as fresh as possible.

1. Fastboot stock boot image and system image. Just flashing boot image doesn't get rid of all SuperSU files in system.
    2. Fastboot boot Twrp 3.1.1-0 image.
    3. Twrp install Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer image
    4. Reboot Recovery
    5. Twrp install Magisk 14.2
    6. Reboot system.

Osmosis unSU script zip
    https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133/post63615067

Twrp 3.1.1-0 fastboot image
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-3.1.1-0-fastboot-marlin.img.html

Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer zip
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.1.1-0.zip.html

Magisk 14.2
    https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589/post72588015
    Since we are all in transition, going back and forth from Nougat to Oreo. One problem that could occur with the above is Twrp bootlooping or not sticking. One way to solve this is flashing factory images to both slots. (Best Practice)
    The other would be
    1. fastboot flash boot - -slot all boot.img

In my opinion, if you don't know what's in your inactive slot, you're doing it wrong.
    I didn't check all 27 pages but I tried this and busybox will not install. Any ideas?

Busybox has to be installed in TWRP via flashable ZIP.

The thread with the flashable zip is: https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/themes/mods-android-oreo-aroma-installer-misc-t3666777
    ~> Or directly https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4260432&d=1504361721

If you need to remove busybox for whatever reason, a few threads down there is a busybox uninstaller zip file.

Cheers