FORUMS

[How-to] Unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel/XL

700 posts
Thanks Meter: 619

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys. So I finally found a way to unlock a bootloader on a Verizon Pixel. Without further ado, let's get started. This method works on Pixel and Pixel XL.

1. Remove Google account and any kind of screen lock (fingerprint, PIN, pattern, etc.) from your device.
2. Eject sim card from your device.
3. Reset your device. In setup wizard, skip everything, don't connect to WiFi, don't add fingerprint or any kind of screen lock.
4. Go to Developer Options and enable USB debugging.
5. Connect your phone to PC.
6. Open CMD in adb directory and type
Code:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
7. Restart your device.
8. Connect to WiFi, open Chrome and go to google.com (or any website really).
9. Go to Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking.
10. Reboot into bootloader and via CMD run
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
or
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
11. Profit

Be aware that unlocking bootloader removes everything from your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amend

Credit to members LeoTheRomRasta and Qu3ntin0 for making this method available to the community on the Bounty thread yesterday. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...3740911/page14 There is an ongoing discussion there about variations on this method.

UPDATE: Confirmed that this method works on Android Oreo as well as Android P Developer Preview.
The Following 154 Users Say Thank You to burduli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift burduli Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 08:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
Uhm, how do you skip Wi-Fi setup?

EDIT: Guys, can confirm. It works!!! Just tested this as of now. The trick is to factory reset twice because the first reset leaves an indicator to the phone that you did a factory reset just now. Therefore, not allowing you to skip Wi-Fi connection in Setup Wizard. As for the steps, once you opened Google Chrome and visit a website, Go to Developer Options and wait until 3-5 minutes if the option to unlock is still grayed out. You might want to go back and forth one more time to see if the option to unlock is now enabled.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RonnellTapawan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RonnellTapawan Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 09:03 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
First try, didn't work. Gave it a second go, got it to work. If after you try to enable OEM Unlocking and its still locked, just wait 2-3 minutes with the screen on. Eventually it just unlocked and let me toggle it. Fully unlocked on a 8.1 VZW Pixel.
The Following User Says Thank You to GTX1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GTX1 Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 09:39 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tbilisi

Donate to Me
More
I think it's better if you remove screen lock and Google account from device before you reset it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burduli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift burduli Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 09:47 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Credit to LeoTheRomRasta and Qu3ntin0 on the Bounty thread
Credit to members LeoTheRomRasta and Qu3ntin0 for making this method available to the community on the Bounty thread yesterday. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...3740911/page14 There is an ongoing discussion there about variations on this method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burduli

Hi guys. So I finally found a way to unlock a bootloader on a Verizon Pixel. Without further ado, let's get started. This method works on both Pixel and Pixel XL. Haven't tested on Pixel 2/XL yet.

1. Eject sim card from your device.
2. Reset your device. In setup wizard, skip everything, don't connect to WiFi, don't add fingerprint or any kind of lock screen.
3. Go to Developer Options and enable USB debugging.
4. Connect your phone to PC.
5. Open CMD in adb directory and type

Code:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
6. Restart your device.
7. Connect to WiFi, open Chrome and go to google.com (or any website really).
8. Go to Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking.
9. Reboot into bootloader and via CMD run
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
or
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
10. Profit

Be aware that unlocking bootloader removes everything from your device. It'd be great if someone tested this method on Pixel 2/XL.

UPDATE: Confirmed that this method works on Android Oreo as well as Android P Developer Preview.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amend Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 09:49 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tbilisi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amend

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll copy this into OP.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burduli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift burduli Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 10:06 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 214

More
Confirmed working on Android P DP2

Remove your Google account before factory reset so it let's you skip wifi setup
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armando_rod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift armando_rod Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 10:15 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I just tested this method on a Verizon Pixel XL 2 on the latest security patch and it is working perfectly.

I did a double factory reset and followed the rest of the instructions and then did a double reboot after connecting to WiFi and I can toggle the OEM Unlocking.

Thank you so very much for discovering this!

Thawte

After a reboot the toggle is off and grayed out again... *spoke too soon*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thawte For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thawte Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 10:21 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tbilisi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thawte

I just tested this method on a Verizon Pixel XL 2 on the latest security patch and it is working perfectly.

I did a double factory reset and followed the rest of the instructions and then did a double reboot after connecting to WiFi and I can toggle the OEM Unlocking.

Thank you so very much for discovering this!

Thawte

Thank you for testing and confirming that method works on Pixel 2/XL too!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burduli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift burduli Ad-Free
27th May 2018, 10:25 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Good Job Burduli R.I.P Smail Amzdak
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elizage2015 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Elizage2015 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)