FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB ethernet adapters that work with the Pixel

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By pantizol, Member on 11th November 2016, 03:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just found out that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter (Asix AX88179) works well with the Pixel. There are still places where ethernet but no wifi is available so this is definitely a nice bonus feature. The pixel even shows an ethernet symbol when connected. I have to use a USB C to USB A adapter (the usb 2.0 adapter that came with the pixel works, but I use a usb 3.0 adapter for more performance) to connect the adapter. The adapter drains the battery of the pixel and blocks charging port but at least it works. Ideal would be a usb-c hub/dock with built in ethernet and usb-c charge through. Anyone found something like this?
29th January 2017, 12:11 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I've been playing with using the OTG adapter to hook up all sorts of things to my new Pixel and wanted to mess with an Ethernet adapter, so decided to grab the one mentioned in your post as well as one other. Here are my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantizol

I just found out that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter (Asix AX88179) works well with the Pixel. There are still places where ethernet but no wifi is available so this is definitely a nice bonus feature. The pixel even shows an ethernet symbol when connected.

I found the identically described adapter on Amazon here. The part number on the package was 202013-BLK. It did not register on my Pixel at all. The Ethernet adapter did power up and the network status lights came on, but I never got any sort of indicator on the phone showing the phone recognized or used it.

Fortunately I had also purchased the Ableconn USB2E100B USB to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (ASIX AX88772B Low Power) and that one powers up and is recognized just fine. The LTE indicator turns off on the mobile signal strength indicator, and the Ethernet (<⋅⋅⋅>) indicator appears.

It's great that the Ableconn adapter works, but it's only 10/100 and it would have been nice to try a Gigabit adapter. Odd that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 adapter worked on your Pixel but not mine. Mine is direct from Google (not Verizon, or Best Buy) and is running 7.1.1.

Quote:

I have to use a USB C to USB A adapter (the usb 2.0 adapter that came with the pixel works, but I use a usb 3.0 adapter for more performance) to connect the adapter. The adapter drains the battery of the pixel and blocks charging port but at least it works. Ideal would be a usb-c hub/dock with built in ethernet and usb-c charge through. Anyone found something like this?

Yep, that was another thing I wanted to play with so I also bought the Ableconn USBC-4APD USB-C 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Power Delivery (PD). It has 4 USB 3.0 type-A outputs (1 of which can be used for rapid charging) and one type-C input to hook to a charger if you wish. If you don't have a charger attached to the type-C port of the hub then it will activate OTG on your phone and your phone will power the hub. If you have a charger attached to the type-C port of the hub then it will charge your phone instead, as well as power any devices you connect to the type-A ports.

Note that for safety I plugged my type-C charger into the hub first, and then plugged the hub into the phone. My thought process being that if you plugged the hub into the phone first, and the phone was powering the hub, there's an opportunity for mayhem when you plug the charger into the hub and then the hub tries to provide power to the phone (which is already providing power to the hub). In a perfect world the hub and the phone would negotiate this, but I didn't want to find out. The hub is powered by a USB-IF certified VIA VL813 USB 3.0 Hub chip and VL100 USB PD controller chip, so in theory it all should play nice, but again, I didn't want to take chances.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoCache1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MotoCache1 Ad-Free
29th January 2017, 01:14 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCache1

I've been playing with using the OTG adapter to hook up all sorts of things to my new Pixel and wanted to mess with an Ethernet adapter, so decided to grab the one mentioned in your post as well as one other. Here are my findings.
I found the identically described adapter on Amazon here. The part number on the package was 202013-BLK. It did not register on my Pixel at all. The Ethernet adapter did power up and the network status lights came on, but I never got any sort of indicator on the phone showing the phone recognized or used it.

Very strange! Obviously some pixels accept the ASIX AX88179 chipset while others don't. Probably has something to do with the firmware. My pixel is not from verizon. Maybe they disabled the AX88179 driver because it is buggy.
29th January 2017, 04:26 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

Very strange! Obviously some pixels accept the ASIX AX88179 chipset while others don't. Probably has something to do with the firmware. My pixel is not from verizon. Maybe they disabled the AX88179 driver because it is buggy.

Strange indeed. My Pixel is straight from Google, not a VZW or Best Buy unit. Unlocked bootloader, rooted, etc. Sounds like we have the same phone which makes my brain go into sleuth mode to find the difference.
  1. What build are you on? I'm on NMF26U.
  2. What is the part number on your Ethernet adapter? Mine is a Cable Matters 202013.
18th February 2017, 01:15 AM |#5  

More
For anybody wanting a gigabit Ethernet adapter for their Pixel, the Plugable (brand) USB2-E1000 10/100/1000 adapter works great. It's USB 2.0, not USB 3.0, so you're looking at less than half the data rate you should get with gigabit (480 Mbps instead of 1000 Mbps) but that's still better than 100 Mbps.

If anybody finds a USB 3.0 gigabit adapter that works well with the Pixel I'd love to know the model.
19th February 2017, 11:52 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I have an old generic adapter I bought for the original Wii years ago and it works with the Pixel's USB A to C adapter.
Does anyone know a way to set a static IP when using an ethernet adapter?
19th February 2017, 06:44 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mruno

I have an old generic adapter I bought for the original Wii years ago and it works with the Pixel's USB A to C adapter.
Does anyone know a way to set a static IP when using an ethernet adapter?

If you're rooted you should be able to open a terminal session and do this:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
Of course replace the IP and network mask with your IP and network mask.

Then do this to make sure it looks right:
ifconfig eth0
I tested it on my Pixel with a USB Ethernet adapter attached and it worked fine.

See this page for more details.

If you remove the Ethernet adapter and plug it in again you'll default back to DHCP so you'd have to repeat the above every time you connect it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoCache1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MotoCache1 Ad-Free
23rd February 2017, 04:16 AM |#8  

More
Just in case anybody is tempted to try it, I ordered a USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter that uses the RTL8153 chipset and it does not work with the Pixel. So far the only Gigabit Ethernet adapter chipset I've found that works with the Pixel is the AX88178 chipset - and that's USB 2.0 (so 480 Mbps max). [See edit below for more detail.]

Edited to add:

Mrowwy's post (below) informed me that it's apparently possible that it's possible to have two different models of adapter, both using the same chipset, and one work and the other not. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that a given chipset would either work or it wouldn't. Given that new (to me) information, I am going to elaborate more on the adapters I have tried that did and did not work.

Thanks mrowwy.

Working:
  • Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux/Unix (ASIX AX88178 Chipset)
  • Ableconn USB2E100B USB to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter for Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeBook, Surface Pro, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772B Low Power) - USB Ethernet Network - USB to RJ45

Not working:
  • Anker Unibody Aluminum USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet [RTL8153 Chipset]
  • CableCreation Gold Plated USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, No driver software required, Black Color

Since mrowwy had success with the Linksys USB3GIGV1 adapter, which is USB 3 and gigabit, I'm ordering that one with high hopes. I'll report on my findings when I get it.
26th February 2017, 08:06 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Adding to the list:

Not working
Dell USB3 Adapter ( RTL8153 ) - A
Dell USB-C Adapter ( RTL8153 ) - C
Anker A7514 ( RTL8153 ) - A

Working
Linksys USB3GIGV1 ( RTL8153 ) - A
Linksys/Cisco USB300M ( AX88772 ) - A
D-Link DUB-E100 - A

*tested on Pixel ( 7.1.2 )
The Following User Says Thank You to mrowwy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrowwy Ad-Free
27th February 2017, 02:35 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrowwy

Adding to the list:

Not working
Dell USB3 Adapter ( RTL8153 ) - A
Dell USB-C Adapter ( RTL8153 ) - C
Anker A7514 ( RTL8153 ) - A

Working
Linksys USB3GIGV1 ( RTL8153 ) - A
Linksys/Cisco USB300M ( AX88772 ) - A
D-Link DUB-E100 - A

*tested on Pixel ( 7.1.2 )

Thanks for your post mrowwy. I figured if one adapter with the RTL8153 chipset didn't work, none of them would. Guess that's not right (based on your post above). Given that information I updated my previous post to include more detail about what has and has not worked. I'm ordering the Linksys USB3GIG (Amazon just lists it as USB3GIG, not USB3GIGV1 - hopefully they are the same thing).

Fingers crossed!
27th February 2017, 04:04 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCache1

Thanks for your post mrowwy. I figured if one adapter with the RTL8153 chipset didn't work, none of them would. Guess that's not right (based on your post above). Given that information I updated my previous post to include more detail about what has and has not worked. I'm ordering the Linksys USB3GIG (Amazon just lists it as USB3GIG, not USB3GIGV1 - hopefully they are the same thing).

Fingers crossed!

I'm buying a couple more, which should be here in a few days.

I'll add them to the list when they come in.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Something else to note:

I was getting eth0 presence on all of the adapters I tested today, but the ones which weren't working were only showing an ipv6 (inet6) address.
Ones that worked gave me both an ipv4 (inet) & ipv6 address.

So likely a subtle issue with the driver that is causing the problem.

That said, every adapter I tested today worked in an LG V10 without issue.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ethernet, pixel, usb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)