USB ethernet adapters that work with the Pixel

Search This thread

pantizol

Nov 24, 2009
I just found out that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter (Asix AX88179) works well with the Pixel. There are still places where ethernet but no wifi is available so this is definitely a nice bonus feature. The pixel even shows an ethernet symbol when connected. I have to use a USB C to USB A adapter (the usb 2.0 adapter that came with the pixel works, but I use a usb 3.0 adapter for more performance) to connect the adapter. The adapter drains the battery of the pixel and blocks charging port but at least it works. Ideal would be a usb-c hub/dock with built in ethernet and usb-c charge through. Anyone found something like this?

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
I've been playing with using the OTG adapter to hook up all sorts of things to my new Pixel and wanted to mess with an Ethernet adapter, so decided to grab the one mentioned in your post as well as one other. Here are my findings.

I just found out that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter (Asix AX88179) works well with the Pixel. There are still places where ethernet but no wifi is available so this is definitely a nice bonus feature. The pixel even shows an ethernet symbol when connected.

I found the identically described adapter on Amazon here. The part number on the package was 202013-BLK. It did not register on my Pixel at all. The Ethernet adapter did power up and the network status lights came on, but I never got any sort of indicator on the phone showing the phone recognized or used it.

Fortunately I had also purchased the Ableconn USB2E100B USB to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (ASIX AX88772B Low Power) and that one powers up and is recognized just fine. The LTE indicator turns off on the mobile signal strength indicator, and the Ethernet (<⋅⋅⋅>) indicator appears.

It's great that the Ableconn adapter works, but it's only 10/100 and it would have been nice to try a Gigabit adapter. Odd that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 adapter worked on your Pixel but not mine. Mine is direct from Google (not Verizon, or Best Buy) and is running 7.1.1.

I have to use a USB C to USB A adapter (the usb 2.0 adapter that came with the pixel works, but I use a usb 3.0 adapter for more performance) to connect the adapter. The adapter drains the battery of the pixel and blocks charging port but at least it works. Ideal would be a usb-c hub/dock with built in ethernet and usb-c charge through. Anyone found something like this?

Yep, that was another thing I wanted to play with so I also bought the Ableconn USBC-4APD USB-C 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Power Delivery (PD). It has 4 USB 3.0 type-A outputs (1 of which can be used for rapid charging) and one type-C input to hook to a charger if you wish. If you don't have a charger attached to the type-C port of the hub then it will activate OTG on your phone and your phone will power the hub. If you have a charger attached to the type-C port of the hub then it will charge your phone instead, as well as power any devices you connect to the type-A ports.

Note that for safety I plugged my type-C charger into the hub first, and then plugged the hub into the phone. My thought process being that if you plugged the hub into the phone first, and the phone was powering the hub, there's an opportunity for mayhem when you plug the charger into the hub and then the hub tries to provide power to the phone (which is already providing power to the hub). In a perfect world the hub and the phone would negotiate this, but I didn't want to find out. The hub is powered by a USB-IF certified VIA VL813 USB 3.0 Hub chip and VL100 USB PD controller chip, so in theory it all should play nice, but again, I didn't want to take chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: lotus49

pantizol

Nov 24, 2009
I've been playing with using the OTG adapter to hook up all sorts of things to my new Pixel and wanted to mess with an Ethernet adapter, so decided to grab the one mentioned in your post as well as one other. Here are my findings.
I found the identically described adapter on Amazon here. The part number on the package was 202013-BLK. It did not register on my Pixel at all. The Ethernet adapter did power up and the network status lights came on, but I never got any sort of indicator on the phone showing the phone recognized or used it.
Very strange! Obviously some pixels accept the ASIX AX88179 chipset while others don't. Probably has something to do with the firmware. My pixel is not from verizon. Maybe they disabled the AX88179 driver because it is buggy.

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
Very strange! Obviously some pixels accept the ASIX AX88179 chipset while others don't. Probably has something to do with the firmware. My pixel is not from verizon. Maybe they disabled the AX88179 driver because it is buggy.

Strange indeed. My Pixel is straight from Google, not a VZW or Best Buy unit. Unlocked bootloader, rooted, etc. Sounds like we have the same phone which makes my brain go into sleuth mode to find the difference.

1. What build are you on? I'm on NMF26U.
  2. What is the part number on your Ethernet adapter? Mine is a Cable Matters 202013.

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
For anybody wanting a gigabit Ethernet adapter for their Pixel, the Plugable (brand) USB2-E1000 10/100/1000 adapter works great. It's USB 2.0, not USB 3.0, so you're looking at less than half the data rate you should get with gigabit (480 Mbps instead of 1000 Mbps) but that's still better than 100 Mbps.

If anybody finds a USB 3.0 gigabit adapter that works well with the Pixel I'd love to know the model.

mruno

Aug 27, 2010
Google Pixel 7
I have an old generic adapter I bought for the original Wii years ago and it works with the Pixel's USB A to C adapter.
Does anyone know a way to set a static IP when using an ethernet adapter?

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
I have an old generic adapter I bought for the original Wii years ago and it works with the Pixel's USB A to C adapter.

If you're rooted you should be able to open a terminal session and do this:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0​

Of course replace the IP and network mask with your IP and network mask.

Then do this to make sure it looks right:

ifconfig eth0​

I tested it on my Pixel with a USB Ethernet adapter attached and it worked fine.

See this page for more details.

If you remove the Ethernet adapter and plug it in again you'll default back to DHCP so you'd have to repeat the above every time you connect it.

Reactions: mruno

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
Just in case anybody is tempted to try it, I ordered a USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter that uses the RTL8153 chipset and it does not work with the Pixel. So far the only Gigabit Ethernet adapter chipset I've found that works with the Pixel is the AX88178 chipset - and that's USB 2.0 (so 480 Mbps max). [See edit below for more detail.]

Edited to add:

Mrowwy's post (below) informed me that it's apparently possible that it's possible to have two different models of adapter, both using the same chipset, and one work and the other not. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that a given chipset would either work or it wouldn't. Given that new (to me) information, I am going to elaborate more on the adapters I have tried that did and did not work.

Thanks mrowwy.

Working:
  • Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux/Unix (ASIX AX88178 Chipset)
  • Ableconn USB2E100B USB to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter for Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeBook, Surface Pro, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772B Low Power) - USB Ethernet Network - USB to RJ45

Not working:
  • Anker Unibody Aluminum USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet [RTL8153 Chipset]
  • CableCreation Gold Plated USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, No driver software required, Black Color

Since mrowwy had success with the Linksys USB3GIGV1 adapter, which is USB 3 and gigabit, I'm ordering that one with high hopes. I'll report on my findings when I get it.

Last edited:

mrowwy

Dec 21, 2011
Adding to the list:

Not working
Dell USB3 Adapter ( RTL8153 ) - A
Dell USB-C Adapter ( RTL8153 ) - C
Anker A7514 ( RTL8153 ) - A

Working
Linksys USB3GIGV1 ( RTL8153 ) - A
Linksys/Cisco USB300M ( AX88772 ) - A
D-Link DUB-E100 - A

*tested on Pixel ( 7.1.2 )

Last edited:
Reactions: MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
Adding to the list:

Not working

Working
D-Link DUB-E100 - A

Thanks for your post mrowwy. I figured if one adapter with the RTL8153 chipset didn't work, none of them would. Guess that's not right (based on your post above). Given that information I updated my previous post to include more detail about what has and has not worked. I'm ordering the Linksys USB3GIG (Amazon just lists it as USB3GIG, not USB3GIGV1 - hopefully they are the same thing).

Fingers crossed!

mrowwy

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for your post mrowwy. I figured if one adapter with the RTL8153 chipset didn't work, none of them would. Guess that's not right (based on your post above). Given that information I updated my previous post to include more detail about what has and has not worked. I'm ordering the Linksys USB3GIG (Amazon just lists it as USB3GIG, not USB3GIGV1 - hopefully they are the same thing).

Fingers crossed!

I'm buying a couple more, which should be here in a few days.

I'll add them to the list when they come in.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Something else to note:

I was getting eth0 presence on all of the adapters I tested today, but the ones which weren't working were only showing an ipv6 (inet6) address.
Ones that worked gave me both an ipv4 (inet) & ipv6 address.

So likely a subtle issue with the driver that is causing the problem.

That said, every adapter I tested today worked in an LG V10 without issue.

Last edited:

mrowwy

Dec 21, 2011
Update:

Not Working
Juiced Systems 2HUB-01 ( RTL8153 ) - C
Anker A8303 ( RTL8153 ) - C
CableMatters 201013 ( RTL8153 ) - C

Working
Pluggable USBC-E1000 ( AX88179 ) - C

*Tested on Google Pixel ( 7.1.2 )

Note: none of the non-working devices show in ifconfig on my home network( including the previous tested devices ).
I was testing at work before which was full ipv4/6, at home I'm ipv6 on local link only, so that might be why.

Pluggable device seems solid, very light, quite happy with it; best part is no adapters.
Getting ~100Mbps down/20Mbps up on potential 285Mbps down/20Mbps up ( tested against my laptop to SpeedTest.net servers ).
Which I guess it is likely that the USB-C port is likely only 2.0 on speed for the Pixel.

Will update again if I come across more adapters.

Last edited:

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
After seeing mrowwy's success with the Linksys USB3GIGV1 I grabbed one and it worked great - as expected.

Each time I post an update I'm going to just add it to my prior list so my entire list is always in my latest post. Descriptions are from the Amazon.com listing for these items. I have Amazon Prime, so pretty much any adapter I buy is going to come from Amazon.

Working:
A: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux/Unix (ASIX AX88178 Chipset)
A: Ableconn USB2E100B USB to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter for Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeBook, Surface Pro, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772B Low Power) - USB Ethernet Network - USB to RJ45
A: Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter, Works with MacBook Air, Chromebook, or Ultrabook (USB3GIG) [RTL8153 Chipset, marked USB3GIGV1 on the unit itself]

Not working:
A: Anker Unibody Aluminum USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet [RTL8153 Chipset]
C: CableCreation Gold Plated USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, No driver software required, Black Color

Bolded item is best unit so far. Gigabit and USB 3.0. Only thing that would make it better would be being USB C instead of USB A (so no OTG adapter or hub needed). Mrowwy says the "Pluggable USBC-E1000 ( AX88179 ) - C" works, so that will be the next purchase.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Pluggable device seems solid, very light, quite happy with it; best part is no adapters.
Getting ~100Mbps down/20Mbps up on potential 285Mbps down/20Mbps up ( tested against my laptop to SpeedTest.net servers ).
Which I guess it is likely that the USB-C port is likely only 2.0 on speed for the Pixel.

Since USB 2.0 max speed is 480 Mbps I would think even if the Pixel were indeed USB 2.0 you'd still be able to match the speed you're seeing on your laptop.

With both the Plugable USB2-E1000 (USB A) and the Linksys USB3GIGV1 (USB A) I get around 113 Mbps down and around 12 Mbps up - but that's exact same as I get on a laptop on the same network. Although my network is Gigabit and the Ethernet interface to the cable modem is Gigabit (and both devices are connected at 1000 Mbps per the status lights), I think my broadband Internet is probably 100 Mbps service - so that's the bottleneck.

When I get a chance I'm going to look for some sort of client/server speed test tool that I can run isolated on the local network. Something like a server/daemon on my laptop and then a speed test client of some sort on the Pixel - and see how fast they can move data between each other.

mrowwy

Dec 21, 2011
After seeing mrowwy's success with the Linksys USB3GIGV1 I grabbed one and it worked great - as expected.

Each time I post an update I'm going to just add it to my prior list so my entire list is always in my latest post. Descriptions are from the Amazon.com listing for these items. I have Amazon Prime, so pretty much any adapter I buy is going to come from Amazon.

Working:
A: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux/Unix (ASIX AX88178 Chipset)
A: Ableconn USB2E100B USB to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter for Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeBook, Surface Pro, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772B Low Power) - USB Ethernet Network - USB to RJ45
A: Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter, Works with MacBook Air, Chromebook, or Ultrabook (USB3GIG) [RTL8153 Chipset, marked USB3GIGV1 on the unit itself]

Not working:
A: Anker Unibody Aluminum USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet [RTL8153 Chipset]
C: CableCreation Gold Plated USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, No driver software required, Black Color

Bolded item is best unit so far. Gigabit and USB 3.0. Only thing that would make it better would be being USB C instead of USB A (so no OTG adapter or hub needed). Mrowwy says the "Pluggable USBC-E1000 ( AX88179 ) - C" works, so that will be the next purchase.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Since USB 2.0 max speed is 480 Mbps I would think even if the Pixel were indeed USB 2.0 you'd still be able to match the speed you're seeing on your laptop.

With both the Plugable USB2-E1000 (USB A) and the Linksys USB3GIGV1 (USB A) I get around 113 Mbps down and around 12 Mbps up - but that's exact same as I get on a laptop on the same network. Although my network is Gigabit and the Ethernet interface to the cable modem is Gigabit (and both devices are connected at 1000 Mbps per the status lights), I think my broadband Internet is probably 100 Mbps service - so that's the bottleneck.

When I get a chance I'm going to look for some sort of client/server speed test tool that I can run isolated on the local network. Something like a server/daemon on my laptop and then a speed test client of some sort on the Pixel - and see how fast they can move data between each other.

480Mbps is the theoretical, but in practice isn't always seen, especially in circumstances like this where it isn't a main function of the USB port to pass data in this matter and packetizing information comes with its own overheads. It's possible the chipsets chosen at the time of manufacture may not have been able to use full bandwidth.

In the original tests I was on a 600d/600u connection. The older device ( D-Link dhub ) could only do about 60/70, Cisco 300m was about 70/85, the Linksys USB3GIG was hitting 120/160.

On the LG in a couple instances was getting 160/300 on the Dell USB-C adapter, whereas my Laptop was getting the full bandwidth of the connection.

The LG V20 in all tests always had better performance than the Pixel, but I suspect their USB controller is better performing or processor is more equipped to exchange data between. ( It also worked with every adapter we plugged into it haha )

So I think there's a lot more in play than just the speed of the adapter/connection and that there will also be limitations of the phone itself be it processor, host controller, etc.

Trying to compare specs more between the two devices to see if there's a clear limitation but I'm mobile ATM so maybe later.

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
480Mbps is the theoretical, but in practice isn't always seen, especially in circumstances like this where it isn't a main function of the USB port to pass data in this matter and packetizing information comes with its own overheads. It's possible the chipsets chosen at the time of manufacture may not have been able to use full bandwidth.

In the original tests I was on a 600d/600u connection. The older device ( D-Link dhub ) could only do about 60/70, Cisco 300m was about 70/85, the Linksys USB3GIG was hitting 120/160.

On the LG in a couple instances was getting 160/300 on the Dell USB-C adapter, whereas my Laptop was getting the full bandwidth of the connection.

The LG V20 in all tests always had better performance than the Pixel, but I suspect their USB controller is better performing or processor is more equipped to exchange data between. ( It also worked with every adapter we plugged into it haha )

So I think there's a lot more in play than just the speed of the adapter/connection and that there will also be limitations of the phone itself be it processor, host controller, etc.

Trying to compare specs more between the two devices to see if there's a clear limitation but I'm mobile ATM so maybe later.

Good info. Thanks for posting it. Personally if I can do 113 down then I'm pretty happy - but I still want to know how fast a local data transfer (device to device, same switch) would happen. Hopefully I get a chance to look for some sort of client/server solution tonight. I did a little cursory searching before and didn't find anything. If anybody knows of something lightweight that you can stick on a Windows 7 laptop and then install on an Android device, and have it measure transfer performance between the two, that would be spiffy.

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
Personally if I can do 113 down then I'm pretty happy - but I still want to know how fast a local data transfer (device to device, same switch) would happen. Hopefully I get a chance to look for some sort of client/server solution tonight. I did a little cursory searching before and didn't find anything. If anybody knows of something lightweight that you can stick on a Windows 7 laptop and then install on an Android device, and have it measure transfer performance between the two, that would be spiffy.

OK, I was able to do a LAN speed test. There's an app on the Play Store called "WiFi Speed Test". It is exactly what I was looking for. You download the server component (a Python script) off the Internet and run that part on your workstation, and then run WiFi Speed Test on your Android device. There is an option in the Network settings to tell it to test Ethernet instead of WiFi. If you don't check that it will complain of no network connection.

Anyway, the best I could do was 160.59 Mbps up and 130.10 Mbps down. That's with a USB 3.0 Gigabit adapter on the Pixel and a USB 3.0 Gigabit adapter on my laptop - both devices plugged into the same Gigabit Ethernet switch.

Given that, I would never expect to see an Internet speed test turn in higher numbers because I suspect that's the best the Pixel is capable of - well, with the Linksys USB3GIG adapter anyway. Perhaps the performance would be different with a different adapter.

pantizol

Nov 24, 2009
Update:

Not Working
Juiced Systems 2HUB-01 ( RTL8153 ) - C
Anker A8303 ( RTL8153 ) - C
CableMatters 201013 ( RTL8153 ) - C

Working
Pluggable USBC-E1000 ( AX88179 ) - C

*Tested on Google Pixel ( 7.1.2 )

Note: none of the non-working devices show in ifconfig on my home network( including the previous tested devices ).
I was testing at work before which was full ipv4/6, at home I'm ipv6 on local link only, so that might be why.

Will update again if I come across more adapters.

Very nice findings. So far I only tested the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter (USB A) and the Pluggable USBC-E1000 (both Asix AX88179). They both showed the ethernet symbol, but both had the issue that I could only load some webpages (google, youtube ...) while others (msn, cnn ...) wouldn't load at all. This issue is described in more detail in this thread (https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/help/google-pixel-phone-support-ethernet-usb-t3498606) and was also reported by someone else. Could this issue be ipv4/ipv6 related? Because when I use a vpn client to a full ipv4/6 router all web pages load again.
It is strange that you have no issues with the Pluggable USBC-E1000 while I have. I doubt that there are two different hardware versions of this adapter (unlike for the Cable Matters adapter, where I have seen different looking adapters with the same name).
The adapters that you list as not working, do they not work at all? E.g. no ethernet icon and not a single page loading? I am still on android 7.1.1 maybe they fixed some of the ethernet issues in 7.1.2. I might try doing a factory reset. Probably at some point I messed up my network configuration and that's why this weird behaviour occurs.

Update: Neither factory reset nor update to 7.1.2 beta changed anything. Web access over ethernet still limited to certain webpages
Update 2: The linksys usb3gigv1 adapter works with no glitches, all pages load properly in the same setup where the cable maters and pluggable adapters only work partly!

Last edited:

blue whale

Nov 26, 2010
OK, I was able to do a LAN speed test.
480Mbps is the theoretical,

@pantizol, @MotoCache1, @mrowwy
I am in the same situation as you . I ordered a UGREEN 3 Ports USB 3.0 Hub with 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Network Support Windows 8.1/8/7, XP, Vista, Mac OS X and Linux
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-1000M...qid=1488817184&sr=1-1&keywords=AX88179+ugreen
and it is not seen as an ethernet port by my two devices, with an adapteur
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Cell...7695&sr=1-4-fkmr0&keywords=TechExpert+USB+OTG

-samsung s2 i9100 on android 7.1.1 [resurection remix n v5.8.2]
-xiaomi redmi 3 second edition on rooted+unlocked android 6.0.1 Miui 8 7.3.2 +TWRP installed
-samsung tablet smt210 with rooted android 4.4.2 [nothing is powered up]

THe hub is powered up by the redmi, but not by the samsung. On the redmi, nothing happens when I plug the ethernet cable. THe mouse works though. All works on windows....

Apparently, Android should have the driver for the chipset ASIX AX88179, but clearly my phone does not have it.
Fortunately, somebody compiled the driver here
https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/help/adding-asix-ax88179-chipset-1gbit-t2861245
https://sites.google.com/site/vtsozik/linux/ax88179-n900-meego
from here
http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=131;71;112
Linux kernel 4.x/3.x/2.6.x Driver V1.16.0 2016-11-30 For all Android systems, Linux kernel 2.6.14 and later
http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88179_178A_LINUX_DRIVER_v1.16.0_SOURCE.tar.bz2

but the posts are old and too complicated for me.
Can one of you create a universal driver for android 6 and android 7 or at least a very detailed guide to make a personal driver on windows 8.1 ?

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

In the redmi, I have the line
Code:
android.hardware.ethernet

Last edited:

azrihasbullah96

Feb 10, 2018
2019 question for google pixel gen 1 ethernet capability

Adding to the list:

Not working

Working
D-Link DUB-E100 - A

Hi, i'm not a very active member but here goes.

In reference your successful test using the D-Link DUB-E100 on your pixel.
I wonder if the updated model DUB-E130 which is the same thing but can directly connect to pixel as it uses a type-C jack instead.
Will it work on my pixel or everyone else's too?
My pixel has major problems with its wifi chip, so ethernet is the way to go

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I just found out that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter (Asix AX88179) works well with the Pixel. There are still places where ethernet but no wifi is available so this is definitely a nice bonus feature. The pixel even shows an ethernet symbol when connected.

Fortunately I had also purchased the Ableconn USB2E100B USB to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (ASIX AX88772B Low Power) and that one powers up and is recognized just fine. The LTE indicator turns off on the mobile signal strength indicator, and the Ethernet (<⋅⋅⋅>) indicator appears.

It's great that the Ableconn adapter works, but it's only 10/100 and it would have been nice to try a Gigabit adapter. Odd that the Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 adapter worked on your Pixel but not mine. Mine is direct from Google (not Verizon, or Best Buy) and is running 7.1.1.

I have to use a USB C to USB A adapter (the usb 2.0 adapter that came with the pixel works, but I use a usb 3.0 adapter for more performance) to connect the adapter. The adapter drains the battery of the pixel and blocks charging port but at least it works. Ideal would be a usb-c hub/dock with built in ethernet and usb-c charge through. Anyone found something like this?

Yep, that was another thing I wanted to play with so I also bought the Ableconn USBC-4APD USB-C 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Power Delivery (PD). It has 4 USB 3.0 type-A outputs (1 of which can be used for rapid charging) and one type-C input to hook to a charger if you wish. If you don't have a charger attached to the type-C port of the hub then it will activate OTG on your phone and your phone will power the hub. If you have a charger attached to the type-C port of the hub then it will charge your phone instead, as well as power any devices you connect to the type-A ports.

Note that for safety I plugged my type-C charger into the hub first, and then plugged the hub into the phone. My thought process being that if you plugged the hub into the phone first, and the phone was powering the hub, there's an opportunity for mayhem when you plug the charger into the hub and then the hub tries to provide power to the phone (which is already providing power to the hub). In a perfect world the hub and the phone would negotiate this, but I didn't want to find out. The hub is powered by a USB-IF certified VIA VL813 USB 3.0 Hub chip and VL100 USB PD controller chip, so in theory it all should play nice, but again, I didn't want to take chances.

If you're rooted you should be able to open a terminal session and do this:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0​

Of course replace the IP and network mask with your IP and network mask.

Then do this to make sure it looks right:

ifconfig eth0​

I tested it on my Pixel with a USB Ethernet adapter attached and it worked fine.

See this page for more details.

If you remove the Ethernet adapter and plug it in again you'll default back to DHCP so you'd have to repeat the above every time you connect it.
    Adding to the list:

Not working

Working
    D-Link DUB-E100 - A