Search This thread

bsmitty83

Apr 22, 2012
Detroit
OP updated

- R13
- Added Chill governor and re-included sched gov
- Added Thermal Control via sysfs
- updated UKSM ( now works alongside KSM )
- added CAKE net packet scheduler
- added configurable printk ( can be enabled/disabled via sysfs )
/sys/kernel/printk_mode interface
- updated Adreno Idler
- removed powersave governor ( unusable IMO )
- various minor updates

Schedutil has been running well for me . Havent seen a noticeable hit in battery nor have i noticed the boost freq being abused. but I included sched just in case lol .
UKSM will now use ksm's sysfs nodes so you will see both options in a kernel manager app . if you turn one off it turns both off . but you can use all of the tunables

Reactions: stupdude2

bsmitty83

Apr 22, 2012
Detroit
OP updated

- R17
- updated wake gesture timing for 1000Hz
- removed direct references to Hz in i2c hwmon gsi ipa mdss & fbdev
- updated Adreno Idler tunables
- updated Slimbus overclock ( from poondog )
- few compiler warning fixes

happy flashing :)

rubenchu1997

Apr 6, 2015
I have tried to flash this kernel but when I boot up the phone, Google apps start crashing. I have tried to flash it many times and the result was always the same.

bsmitty83

Apr 22, 2012
Detroit
Which kernel manager do you guys use? Does it have its own app maybe?
I have used just about all of the different apps .
Exkm is what I'm using now.

You can use any of them , I use a root file explorer just as much to edit things via sysfs.

Personally I like synapse , but it's not the most user friendly kernel manager.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bsmitty83

Apr 22, 2012
Detroit
I have tried to flash this kernel but when I boot up the phone, Google apps start crashing. I have tried to flash it many times and the result was always the same.
Not sure why my kernel would cause gapps to crash. I'll keep an eye out for any of the same behavior but I haven't had anything like what you are reporting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hey man! I just traded my Marlin for a sailfish. My Marlin was a rma and was always kind of weird. It didn't like the OC very much so I'm hoping this phone is a bit more forgiving ?

I don't think there's a way to check cpu bin # on pixels but fingers crossed that this phone likes OC :p

I'd love to have a non OC cpu with all the other optimizations such as gpu boost but I understand it's going to be however it works best for you.

Thanks for the kernel.

Reactions: bsmitty83

shopealope

Jan 15, 2011
College Station, TX
Wanted to try something new and tried out this kernel, I'm pleasantly surprised. It runs very well, great work. And surprisingly my phone worked well with the OC. Thanks for your work!

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
I really don't like background processes chewing up resources (it's an ocd pet peeve of mine) and for some reason everytime I flashed this kernel I would get this constant 25-55% fluctuating CPU load while monitoring in ex kernel manager. So after ruling out apps and other tweaks I have found the culprit.

It is either uksm on its own or uksm and some app I have not playing nice together and the result high CPU load on idle with screen on.

I have gone even further and disabled uksm and zram (takes a while) and I have gotten this CPU idle lower than ever.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180303-230401.png
    Screenshot_20180303-230401.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 94

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
I have a feeling that uksm misbehaving is the reason why some people aren't able to run this kernel or get reboots.

I can't say definitively without more testing but I have a hunch that the phone is spending too much time in the 2342mhz frequency while uksm is doing it's thing (whether it's operating as intended or not, I'm not sure) and that is causing it to overheat and reboot.

I've lowered the thermal throttling to 55 as well as turning off uksm and zram and I'll report back with my findings after more testing.

Cheers and thanks for the kernel, I'm really glad I got this sorted as I love the smooth scrolling from GPU boost. ?

Reactions: bsmitty83

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
I flashed 19 over 18 fine, however it seems some process on bootup triggers a reboot. The screen goes black and is non responsive for X amount of time unless you hold both volume buttons and the power button for what it seems like 10 seconds (reboots when you release the button combo)

iirc there was something like this on the Nexus 5 when temperature reaches a certain level and it enters some kind of safe mode and remains powered off for a while. On the Nexus it would have a red notification light and a lot of users thought they were bricked (since power button long press doesn't do anything for quite some time)

Anyways I'm back on 18 and I'll test more later. Unfortunately I couldn't get a log as it became unresponsive immediately after boot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA .

Since kernel options are limited on our phones I decided to release my personal kernel builds for anyone who wishes to use it .
    I am just an amateur kernel builder who can read commits and understands how linux generally works . I used to make kernels for the Galaxy nexus if anyone here remembers back that far lol .

Anyways . I started with android-msm-marlin-3.18-oreo-mr1 and added all the goodies back in .
    - For Android 8.1.0
    - Patched to Linux 3.18.108 + May 2018 Security Updates
    - Built with Linaro 7.3.1 GCC
    - Big Core Overclocked to 2.3 GHz
    - Little Core Overclocked to 1.9 GHz
    - GPU Overclocked to 710 MHz
    - Slimbus Overclocked
    - Voltage Control ( /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu"N"/cpufreq/UV_mV_table )
    - Thermal Control ( /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/ )
    - IO-Schedulers : Noop Deadline CFQ BFQv8r12 Test-io Fiops Sio Sio+ Tripndroid Zen Maple ROW VR
    - CPU governors : SchedUtil Performance Interactive Conservative OnDemand Userspace Powersave Blu_Active ZZmove ElementalX Chill
    - TCP Congestion Controllers : cubic reno bic CDG westwood highspeed hybla htcp vegas veno scalable lp yeah illinois sociopath agileSD china
    - Boeffla Wakelock Blocker ( NO wakelocks are blocked by default )
    - Fingerprint Boost ( like touchboost for fp sensor ) ( Must Be set manually via command line : echo "1" > sys/kernel/fp_boost/enabled )
    - Adreno Boost and Adreno Idler driver
    - Adaptive Low Memory Killer ( ALMK )
    - IO-Scheduler Switcher driver ( switches to NOOP when screen-off : for improved power saving and reduce resume latency )
    - FSYNC control
    - Color control ( savoca )
    - Force fast charge
    - UKSM enabled
    - Zen-Tuned
    - ZSWAP enabled ( can be enabled/disabled on the fly via command line : echo "Y" > /sys/module/zswap/parameters/enabled
    other ZSWAP tunables can be found in sys/module/zswap/parameters/ )
    - CleanCache and FrontSwap enabled
    - zbud or z3fold zpool allocator ( echo "z3fold" or "zbud" > sys/module/zswap/parameters/zpool )
    - Transparent HugePage Support enabled
    - Zcache enabled ( off by default )
    - Flar2's Sound control
    - Flar2's Wake/Sleep control ( d2tw s2w s2s gestures )
    - SafteyNet patched
    - MAC address randomization ( off by default ) ( proc/sys/dev/cnss/randomize_mac )
    - High Brightness Mode supported
    - exfat file system support
    - WireGuard supported
    - Various performance minded commits
    - Major updates to
    ARM64
    Block
    Crypto
    Locking
    RCU
    SYSFS
    MM/Memcontrol
    Interactive updated to Linux 4.4
    Binder updated to MSM-kernel-4.4
    CleanCache and FrontSwap updated to Linux 4.15
    ZRAM updated to Linux 4.4+

As I said before :
    - I do this for fun -- ( I am married and have 2 little kids and a full time job )
    - This is my personal kernel ( I'm not looking for feature requests )
    ALL credit should go to those who wrote the commits ( my commit history is correct in authorship )

FLASH INSTRUCTIONS :

- flash kernel.zip via TWRP recovery .
    ( This kernel should install over any ROM's stock boot.img // If you have another custom kernel installed besides this one then first flash the ROM's boot.img again before flashing this kernel )

- Grab Fire Extinguisher && Prepare for your phone to melt through the floor
    - If previous step fails to happen : don't blame me

DOWNLOADS

CURRENT VERSIONS :

NSFW-Kernel-8.1.0

OLD VERSIONS :

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=237278

Happy Flashing :cowboy:

NSFW-kernel, Fireball for the Google Pixel XL
    Source Code: https://github.com/bsmitty83/NSFW-Pixel-XL
    I'm getting amazing battery life with this. Wasn't expecting that as it is overclocked . Nice and stable for me. Thank you very much for sharing.
    Op updated

- R15
    - February kernel security updates
    - Color control
    - re-enabled sched governor
    Op updated with R4

- Frontswap and cleancache inline with linux 4.15
    - added new zswap allocator "z3fold" can compress 3 pages at once vs 2 for zbud
    - can now choose zswap compressor lz4 or lzo
    - selinux improvements
    - binder is inline with msm-kernel-4.4
    - updates to android low memory killer (Adaptive LMK)
    - updates to mm/compaction
    OP updated :

- Linux 3.18.90
    - patched zram to linux 4.4
    - some mm updates

More info can be found here