FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT] SuperSU

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,138

By Chainfire, Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 30th October 2016, 12:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread was originally for Pixel-specific rooting instructions, but by now the SuperSU ZIP and TWRP are fully supported:

- Fastboot boot TWRP
- Install latest SuperSU ZIP (v2.79-SR3 at the time of writing)

Note that at this time I recommend against fastboot flashing TWRP. With the Pixel's new partition layout, the recovery files are inside the boot partition, and so is SuperSU. If you flash both, SuperSU's internal boot image backup will not be of the original boot image, but of TWRP. This means that neither the 'full unroot' option in SuperSU, nor incremental OTA update through FlashFire, will work as expected.

OR

- Use CF-Auto-Root for Pixel (not released at the time of writing, but should be released soon)
The Following 81 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]

30th October 2016, 12:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Thank you once again for root, do you finally get to enjoy your new Pixel?
30th October 2016, 02:18 AM |#3  
Flag Niagara Falls
Thanks Meter: 735

Donate to Me
More
Woooooooooooooo! I am so fricken excited for this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeekMcLeod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GeekMcLeod Ad-Free
30th October 2016, 02:25 AM |#4  
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 236

Donate to Me
More
can someonone please post the exact steps they are using?

I just unlocked my bootloader. then tried flashing the root-boot img file, it did the reboots, but when i complete android setup, theres no SuperSU and if i install the .apk, it still does not detect root...

just reflashed stock boot.img, locked and unlocked bootloader. waiting for instrustion.

thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marc.ientilucci For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marc.ientilucci Ad-Free
30th October 2016, 02:54 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Here is everything you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunks3

I just unlocked my bootloader. then tried flashing the root-boot img file, it did the reboots, but when i complete android setup, theres no SuperSU and if i install the .apk, it still does not detect root...

just reflashed stock boot.img, locked and unlocked bootloader. waiting for instrustion.

thanks!

http://www.xda-developers.com/root-i...-and-pixel-xl/
Here is everything you need.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anjustice1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Anjustice1 Ad-Free
30th October 2016, 03:17 AM |#6  
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 811

More
Once again you're the man Chainfire, thanks for all your hard work

- An unnamed tester needed to do the whole thing twice for the root to stick. While I assume this was Jeff's own fault, we can never be sure. -lol

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunks3

thanks!

According to the post..

The images for the Pixels need to be 'fastboot boot'ed, not flashed. After a few minutes (have patience) and a couple of (automatic) reboots, Android should boot fully rooted. Read the README in the ZIP.
30th October 2016, 03:20 AM |#7  
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 236

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle

Once again you're the man Chainfire, thanks for all your hard work

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

According to the post..

The images for the Pixels need to be 'fastboot boot'ed, not flashed. After a few minutes (have patience) and a couple of (automatic) reboots, Android should boot fully rooted. Read the README in the ZIP.

needed to set everything up and enable usb debugging - thennnn boot into bootloader and flash boot-to-root.img.

all is well!
30th October 2016, 03:40 AM |#9  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 535

More
Worked like a charm! Thanks @Chainfire. I had just posted my pixel up for sale. Guess I'll keep it a while longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrnovanova For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrnovanova Ad-Free
30th October 2016, 03:57 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
root issues
Pixel 32gig bought from google store unlocked bootloader and did as tutorial said, i have superSU icon but not asking for root privilage, apps saying no root?
30th October 2016, 03:59 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
You are the best Chainfire I've met today.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnovanova

Worked like a charm! Thanks @Chainfire. I had just posted my pixel up for sale. Guess I'll keep it a while longer.

And I was eyeing a 5X... maybe not now!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)