TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel Devices

Search This thread

elliot2112

Oct 28, 2011
Milwaukee is always home.
My memory is hazy at this point, but I'm thinking that SuperSU doesn't work on Android 8.1 on the Pixel. I don't even recall if you can successfully flash the TWRP.zip - I just fastboot boot TWRP.img each time I want to get into it, which is rarely because I use the old Magisk v14.2 on purpose so I can use @Chainfire 's FlashFire app to flash the full stock ROM updates each month. Works like a charm, no TWRP or PC needed. Sorry to talk about non-TWRP in the TWRP thread. :)

Don't flash the TWRP.zip from the fastboot booted TWRP.img, just fastboot boot TWRP.img each time you want to get in it, or see my alternate solution above.
Ok so I before there were any replies I did flash zip rebooted then rebooted to recovery and flashed magisk and all worked well. I have Twrp installed permanent and have root.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

_Melkiy_

Nov 20, 2011
Stavropol
Android 9

Good! On Android 9 I can not enter the recovery. When you type the pattern, it says "Wrong" Has been changed to the PIN code, same thing... Help!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Good! On Android 9 I can not enter the recovery. When you type the pattern, it says "Wrong" Has been changed to the PIN code, same thing... Help!

It was that way on at least the last one or two Android Pie Developer Previews, too. It just means that it can't decrypt the internal storage, but you can still hit Cancel and get into TWRP. I had briefly tried using a flash drive with the OTG adapter (normally in the past this would work), however either I had made some user error or something else needs changed in TWRP, as I wasn't able to get it to recognize my flash drive, as well.

If it doesn't recognize OTG devices either, you'd probably have to use ADB to push files you want to flash to a temporary location (look for instructions on that elsewhere), or wait for TWRP to be updated appropriately for Android Pie on the Pixel.

This was with v3.2.1-2; I hadn't tried v3.3.0 yet - is that what you tried, the latest?

Reactions: _Melkiy_

abemore

Jul 31, 2012
Does nandroid backup and restore work?

Or do you have to disable pin/pattern/pass for it to work?

Which partitions are needed for a full backup & restore?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Does nandroid backup and restore work?

Or do you have to disable pin/pattern/pass for it to work?

Which partitions are needed for a full backup & restore?

Since internal storage, where user apps and user and system app data are stored can't be decrypted, you'd definitely have to at least disable the pin/pattern/password, although you should confirm that doing so makes the storage readable in TWRP - it should.

I always forget on this device and have to use the search field at the top right of this thread for "image" to see what people said about backing up using the correct partition options (system vs system image, etc).

Reactions: abemore

_Melkiy_

Nov 20, 2011
Stavropol
This was with v3.2.1-2; I hadn't tried v3.3.0 yet - is that what you tried, the latest?
Tried it, too. Later I was prompted on 4pda that at 9 so far it does not work.
Decrypting Android 9.0 Pie when using a PIN / pattern / password does not work yet. We do not have an ETA for fixing decrypt. Restoring a backup made with an alpha using RC1 may result in loss of data including internal storage. If you need your backups from those versions, restore the backup using alpha2, then install RC1 and run a new backup with RC1.

Hello,

i came from Stock Android 9. I unlocked the Device and flashed the latest TWRP Recovery and an Android 8.1.0 Custom ROM on my Pixel Sailfish Device.

When want to backup the ROM i get this Issue.

Code:
==> set selinux context: u:object_r:app_data_file:s0:c512,c768
found policy '/data/data/com.android.onetimeinitializer/shared_prefs' - '1CE0' - '4f237b7f2c31dbd4'
I:addFile '/data/data/com.android.onetimeinitializer/shared_prefs/oti.xml' including root: 1
I:addFile '/data/data/com.android.onetimeinitializer/cache' including root: 1
found policy '/data/data/com.android.onetimeinitializer/cache' - '1CE0' - '4f237b7f2c31dbd4'
I:addFile '/data/tombstones' including root: 1
  ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:tombstone_data_file:s0
found policy '/data/tombstones' - '1DK' - '5b40171f09744851'
I:addFile '/data/system_ce' including root: 1
  ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:system_data_file:s0
I:addFile '/data/system_ce/10' including root: 1
  ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:system_data_file:s0
failed to lookup tar policy for '/data/system_ce/10' - 'b8afb1816ed55fbd'
I:Error adding file '/data/system_ce/10' to '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/FA6AD0307055/2018-09-01--07-49-57_fh_sailfish-userdebug_810_OPM6171019030H1_3/data.ext4.win000'
Error creating backup.
I:ERROR tarList for thread ID 0
Error creating backup.
I:InfoManager saving '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/FA6AD0307055/2018-09-01--07-49-57_fh_sailfish-userdebug_810_OPM6171019030H1_3/data.info'
createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255
Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.

inside the /data/system_ce folder i the subfolder 0 and 10.
Why TWRP can´t Backup these folders?

murphysflaw

Sep 1, 2018
(Also posted in the Pixel Noobs thread) I really need help. I have a new Pixel with Android 8.0 pre-installed. I wanted to try out Lineage OS 15.1. I downloaded it and followed their installation directions (root & unlock bootloader, turn on debugging, flash twrp image, wipe, push new os), which worked fine until I told TWRP to install the new OS. It says:

Installing zip file "/sdcard/lineage.zip"
Checking for digest file...
Skipping Digest check: no Digest file found
Error installing zip file "/sdcard/lineage.zip"

And then nothing. So now I have no OS, and just the twrp.img flashed to my phone and the new ROM in internal storage. ADB is working. Sideloading isn't. It turns out that I used the .img file from the wrong version of twrp. It's the version for marlin, not sailfin. I don't know whether that is the reason for the issue I'm having. I've pushed the LOS.zip and the correct version of twrp.zip to the internal storage, but can't install either of them. I've checked that adb, fastroot and drivers are up to date on my PC. I'm using a new cable. I've spent the whole day searching for a solution.

At this point I don't want to make things worse by tinkering around or trying something that might have worked five years ago on a different device. Ideally there's a way to get the OS to install or get the correct version of twrp running. I just don't know what my options actually are. What happens if I reboot? I would think my phone would be hard bricked. Is there a way to get the phone into fastboot so that I can flash a boot image or the correct twrp? Do I have any other options?

(Also posted in the Pixel Noobs thread) I really need help. I have a new Pixel with Android 8.0 pre-installed. I wanted to try out Lineage OS 15.1. I downloaded it and followed their installation directions (root & unlock bootloader, turn on debugging, flash twrp image, wipe, push new os), which worked fine until I told TWRP to install the new OS. It says:

Installing zip file "/sdcard/lineage.zip"
Checking for digest file...
Skipping Digest check: no Digest file found
Error installing zip file "/sdcard/lineage.zip"

And then nothing. So now I have no OS, and just the twrp.img flashed to my phone and the new ROM in internal storage. ADB is working. Sideloading isn't. It turns out that I used the .img file from the wrong version of twrp. It's the version for marlin, not sailfin. I don't know whether that is the reason for the issue I'm having. I've pushed the LOS.zip and the correct version of twrp.zip to the internal storage, but can't install either of them. I've checked that adb, fastroot and drivers are up to date on my PC. I'm using a new cable. I've spent the whole day searching for a solution.

At this point I don't want to make things worse by tinkering around or trying something that might have worked five years ago on a different device. Ideally there's a way to get the OS to install or get the correct version of twrp running. I just don't know what my options actually are. What happens if I reboot? I would think my phone would be hard bricked. Is there a way to get the phone into fastboot so that I can flash a boot image or the correct twrp? Do I have any other options?

Have you followed all steps? https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/development/rom-lineageos-15-1-pixel-xl-marlin-t3725985/page1

You must flash boot.img, vendor.img and bootloader. Then install lineage.

Here is the correct TWRP Recovery. Flash it with fastboot https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel.html

Reactions: murphysflaw

majikfox

Oct 25, 2010
Just switched to a Pixel from my GS7 yesterday. I didn't even realize this was an issue.

Later I found out that the newest TWRP with this fix had been posted less than 2 hours before I downloaded the latest version. :D

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Is there a trick to installing twrp?

I'm using magisk and the latest ElementalX kernel, but when I install twrp (boot to the other twrp image, then run the installer zip) I can't boot back into Android. I get stuck at the boot loop until it pushes me back to twrp.

Is there a trick to installing twrp?

I'm using magisk and the latest ElementalX kernel, but when I install twrp (boot to the other twrp image, then run the installer zip) I can't boot back into Android. I get stuck at the boot loop until it pushes me back to twrp.

No trick. Boot with fastboot to the recovery and Flash it. It flashes the TWRP to both Partition. After that reflash Magisk would gelb.... Maybe

murphysflaw

Sep 1, 2018
Have you followed all steps? https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/development/rom-lineageos-15-1-pixel-xl-marlin-t3725985/page1

You must flash boot.img, vendor.img and bootloader. Then install lineage.

Here is the correct TWRP Recovery. Flash it with fastboot https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel.html

Hi Happy Feet. Thank you so much for your response. Interesting. The instructions in the thread you linked are different from the ones at the Lineage Wiki (sorry - can't post links yet). The wiki instructions don't include any of the steps for flashing boot & vendor images, etc. in both slots before wiping and installing the ROM. That's my bad for not looking at the instructions here before doing anything.

So I still have a super-basic TWRP question. With the OS wiped and with TWRP in recovery mode, what are the exact steps I need to take to get into bootloader mode to begin the recovery process? I assume I can't reboot without an OS. If I boot into bootloader, will I hard brick? Or will I feel like meganoob when it lets me use fastboot and all is well? Once I know what's safe to do next, I think I'll be good to go. :fingers-crossed:

Thanks again. I appreciate your time and expertise.

Hi Happy Feet. Thank you so much for your response. Interesting. The instructions in the thread you linked are different from the ones at the Lineage Wiki (sorry - can't post links yet). The wiki instructions don't include any of the steps for flashing boot & vendor images, etc. in both slots before wiping and installing the ROM. That's my bad for not looking at the instructions here before doing anything.

So I still have a super-basic TWRP question. With the OS wiped and with TWRP in recovery mode, what are the exact steps I need to take to get into bootloader mode to begin the recovery process? I assume I can't reboot without an OS. If I boot into bootloader, will I hard brick? Or will I feel like meganoob when it lets me use fastboot and all is well? Once I know what's safe to do next, I think I'll be good to go. :fingers-crossed:

Thanks again. I appreciate your time and expertise.

Okay when you already in Recovery Mode, go to the reboot Option and select Bootloader. Then you can use fastboot.

Flash the firmware for your Device with flash-all.sh or flash-all.bat (windows OS) this will install in correct steps automatically.

Then boot to the twrp recovery and install in TWRP the TWRP. Zip for your device. After that >>>>>

Steps:
1. Make sure you are in Partition A
2. Flash ROM.zip and TWRP.zip
3. Reboot the recovery
4. Make sure your are in Partition B
5. Flash Gapps and Magisk (if you need it)
6. Reboot

Have fun.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TLDR: It's here and it may eat your data, and you will lose SuperSU root if currently installed. READ the install instructions carefully!

Pixel XL

Pixel

DO NOT RESTORE DATA FROM alpha builds of TWRP using RC1. You will probably lose all data including internal storage. If you need to restore a data backup from an alpha build, reinstall the alpha and restore using the alpha and make a new backup using RC1.

Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

File Based Encryption (FBE) can be a bit tricky. If a restore doesn't work correctly, it can trigger an automatic wipe of your data. Sometimes TWRP will fail to prompt you to enter your password or otherwise fail to set up decrypt properly. If this happens, reboot TWRP. It seems to be some kind of timing issue and I haven't had time to track it down yet.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted with SuperSU, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, grab the very latest SuperSU released on 2015-11-15 or later and install SuperSU.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

NOTE about 3.2.1-0: This version will decrypt Android 8.1, however the new image is built in Android 8.1 and may not be compatible with SuperSU and/or Magisk until they update their stuff. I have not tested. Good luck.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    SuperSU is not compatible yet with the flashable version of TWRP but Magisk is.

Is there a new TWRP? What combination doesn't work?

SuperSU has been working with all the alpha and rc builds I know of since days after their release. If there's a combo that doesn't work I don't know about it.

(Then again, I tend to boot TWRP, not flash it, so may just be an oversight)

EDIT: Found it, looking at it.
    I have TWRP 3.1.1 nearly fully working on DP4, encryption is the only thing in the way, 2e4crypt initilization failure.. :(