FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android 10: unable to "Mount R/W", what do I do?

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By pennywaltz, Member on 19th November 2019, 06:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just installed the latest Android 10 for Pixel/Sailfish. I have use Magisk to root using the Boot Image Patching, as TWRP doesn't works yet for Android 10/Sailfish. I have enabled systemless host in Magisk and rebooted.

Now I have installed the latest version of FX File manager. When I goto root (granted root) within FX, I click mount R/W, it said that the folder is read-only. I had the same issue with EX file explorer.

I mainly want to edit a few files in /etc/permissions/ and move a few apps to system apps

What can I do to get the mount R/W to work? These are my normal steps on Android 9 to get this to work, I am unsure if I am missing anything
19th November 2019, 08:38 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 268

More
From my limited understanding and a few brief trawls of Google you can't write to system on 10 as you could in 9 or lower. Probably a job for a magisk module/terminal and edit it in a systemless way so to speak.
You can fastboot boot twrp 3.3.1-0, decryption works, it may show mounting errors but it does work, been using it to flash magisk and ROMs on my sailfish without problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to junglism93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift junglism93 Ad-Free
19th November 2019, 08:57 PM |#3  
OP Member
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglism93

From my limited understanding and a few brief trawls of Google you can't write to system on 10 as you could in 9 or lower. Probably a job for a magisk module/terminal and edit it in a systemless way so to speak.
You can fastboot boot twrp 3.3.1-0, decryption works, it may show mounting errors but it does work, been using it to flash magisk and ROMs on my sailfish without problem.

This is what I suspect also. I do know 10 is quite new.

I have been able to flash Magisk no issues. Root access is fine (adblock, titanium backup works). HOwever, I can't seem to mount r/w using a file explorer. I suspect this has to do with the way Google have upgraded its security, but I'm not fully sure.
21st November 2019, 04:47 AM |#4  
Flag El Calafate, Santa Cruz
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywaltz

I just installed the latest Android 10 for Pixel/Sailfish. I have use Magisk to root using the Boot Image Patching, as TWRP doesn't works yet for Android 10/Sailfish. I have enabled systemless host in Magisk and rebooted.

Now I have installed the latest version of FX File manager. When I goto root (granted root) within FX, I click mount R/W, it said that the folder is read-only. I had the same issue with EX file explorer.

I mainly want to edit a few files in /etc/permissions/ and move a few apps to system apps

What can I do to get the mount R/W to work? These are my normal steps on Android 9 to get this to work, I am unsure if I am missing anything

You can't do anything. As you've been told before, the system partition can't be edited by the user on Android 10. Whether it is because of security or something else I don't know, but it's not possible at the moment.
26th November 2019, 02:05 AM |#5  
Flag Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 523

More
Here is the explanation:
https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...coped-storage/

There are some workarounds detailed in this article but I haven't been able to get them to work.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)