Battery Drain on Android Pie?

Search This thread

bongostl

Apr 28, 2010
Hi All--

I've been on the Android P Beta for a while.

However, starting with the final beta that was released (and now on the final version of pie) I've been experiencing really quick battery drain.

Tried a total wipe and restore, and the same thing. My wife (also the pixel) isn't having those issues at all.

Thoughts?

(nothing shows up in the battery section)

Reactions: desirus
Yes, I had great battery life. Then once Android Pie was released, jumped on the beta to get 9 sooner. Then got the upgrade from beta to final and battery life is horrible. I did not factory reset, I have battery saver on and it doesn'tseem to matter. If I leave on standby, no issues. If I use the phone, it can bleed as much as 10% per hour! Unacceptable. I may try factory resetting, but idk...

perIpIx

May 10, 2018
I also have a pixel, Android 9.0/Pie (bought it brand new three days ago) and think battery is draining very (!) quick.

Yesterday I had roughly 2.5 SOT (with battery saver enabled) and this seems consistent with what I can expect typically. I did factory reset and have tried restricting "background activity" for my frequent apps - seems to make no difference. Obviously it had not time to do full battery optimization yet I guess, but I doubt it would mean a that big difference?

Saw a thread where someone mentioned it seems CPU-freq is high/inc. very rapidly when just tapping the screen (GPU-0%), and I can agree with that although I have not the prev. experience of what to expect.

My previous experience is with Xiaomi mi6/mi5 (lineage 15.1), similar usage would give 2x or 3x SOT (however with some other hw-issues.. ).

Last edited:

jambo89liam

Mar 25, 2010
I had used up 50% with only 21 minutes screen on time.
I noticed the app Device Health Services, was constantly active in the background.

Reactions: waar19

gubacsek

Jun 18, 2010
I had the same like the OP: everything was fine until the last beta came, and battery is draining faster, phone gets hot from even the smallest usage even in the prod release of android pie.
I was thinking it has something to do with being about 36 degrees (summer time....), but it is the same even in cooler temperature rooms. It's like if the phone is constantly doing something in the background, but only if I use it.

Nelway

Aug 19, 2018
It has been a few days since I upgraded my Pixel 2. Battery life is noticably worse, maybe 20-30% more battery drain in a day than what I saw in Oreo.

tecsironman

Sep 12, 2009
Motorola Droid Ultra
Moto X
I notice the issue as well. I did factory reset after update it's been a week. I was on beta and started noticing battery issues in the first beta and throughout. I decided to install Accubattery to track my battery usage and ended up with a result.

My phone states the battery is in good condition but this app says otherwise. I guess it's time to change the battery along with cracked screen!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180822-220112.png
    Screenshot_20180822-220112.png
    154 KB · Views: 851

Jaws4God

May 30, 2009
North Carolina
i'm curious if my battery is shot as well... Seems like after I purchased my used Pixel.. the battery is not as lasting as I hoped for the smaller pixel phone... I may try one of those battery testing apps to see if it will tell me its current health..

magnumtripod

Oct 7, 2011
I normally welcome up updates, but this update screwed up my battery life so bad. I mean everything was perfect until the update. Now the battery drains so fast I can watch the percentage count down like a timer and now when the battery gets anywhere from 15-40% the phone will just shut down.

I would like to go back to oreo, but it's such a pain in the ass having to back everything up and flash a ROM considering I haven't done that since before I bought the pixel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow, that is not normal. Stock android 9 with root and elemental kernel.... I go back to android 8.1.0 and wait for feature releases
    Hi All--

I've been on the Android P Beta for a while.

However, starting with the final beta that was released (and now on the final version of pie) I've been experiencing really quick battery drain.

Tried a total wipe and restore, and the same thing. My wife (also the pixel) isn't having those issues at all.

Thoughts?

(nothing shows up in the battery section)
    I had used up 50% with only 21 minutes screen on time.
    I noticed the app Device Health Services, was constantly active in the background.