FORUMS

Google repair shop re-locked my bootloader... wtf now?

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By n8lee, Junior Member on 18th January 2020, 01:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
OG Pixel from Verizon, had it for years, battery has been really shitty lately. So I had to send my phone in to get a new battery, and the cost was similar to go thru google store, so I did. Wiped the phone, restored to stock android, but left bootloader unlocked. Got the phone back today and version of android was downgraded and bootloader was locked.
How ****ed am I and what are my recourses? Tried google support, they're nearly useless.
9th February 2020, 02:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
If you never booted the device yet you can try "fastboot flashing unlock" and it will just re-unlock. Other than that I don't think you will ever see a unlock status on that phone. This is why I do my repairs myself.
9th February 2020, 05:25 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Fastboot flashing unlock was unsuccessful, but I suspect that was because the phone was booted up for "troubleshooting" with Google "support."
I assume then there's no way to return it to the post-flash pre-boot state without some closely guarded hardware and software?
10th February 2020, 03:43 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Before updating in any way... Search Verizon unlock Pixel and see if that process will unlock. If you allow update past a certain level stuck with no options then if Verizon locked.
10th February 2020, 03:47 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Oh, would never allow an update. I'm not crazy. Tried the unlock method with uninstalling the phone app before you get internet access the day I got it, still no dice. Thanks tho.
I just did a credit card chargeback as they sent me back my device in an unusable condition and refused to compensate for it. We'll see how it shakes out in a few weeks probably. Bought a refurb Pixel 3 in the meantime and it was already unlocked, so all is well.
Thanks for the replies though.
-N
The Following User Says Thank You to n8lee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift n8lee Ad-Free
12th February 2020, 10:45 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8lee

Fastboot flashing unlock was unsuccessful, but I suspect that was because the phone was booted up for "troubleshooting" with Google "support."
I assume then there's no way to return it to the post-flash pre-boot state without some closely guarded hardware and software?

Can you tell me what security patch you are on? If you are somewhere around Android 9 patch (potentially Android 10 early patches) you can re-unlock. If you try ticking the OEM unlock option in Dev options or if i heard correctly the phone wont boot? If you know your exact version you can try flashing it through recovery, or trying "fastboot unlock" after ticking the oem unlock. Also remember those old workarounds of removing android.phone and such? Yeah try those. Good luck. We'll try and get you unlocked again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)