FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Help, my Pixel died. Fastboot works, bootloader and screen not. Data recovery?

265 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By KobiP, Senior Member on 4th October 2019, 03:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

What happened:
I updated about two to three weeks ago to Android 10, looking forward for another happy year with my Pixel 1 128GB, bought on day one.
The very next morning I started a timer (default clock app) and wondered why it never rang. Boom, my Pixel is dead. Countdown to self destruction? Just kidding.
Of course the device was not dropped, no water or whatsoerver touched the phone recently. It just died silently on my table.

State summary:
Bootloader locked, was never unlocked
OEM Unlock is disabled / never enabled in the running system
Original Android 10 running for approx 12-16h
No root, custom rom, whatsoever. Stock android.
While still working, adb was connecting fine on my PC (I used scrcpy every now and then)

All that works now is if I press Vol up, Vol down and Power for approx. 10s, the phone vibrates. Then I can see in my PC that my Pixel is in fastboot mode. The screen stays off at all times. As my bootloader is locked, I can't do a lot, even flashing a zip with stock firmware won't work. If I type 'fastboot reboot bootloader' the device disappears from fastboot and never reaches adb.

I also tried to discharge my phone, thats why I write only now. Takes quite long if the screen is off to empty the battery in fastboot mode. All that happend now is that once I charge my phone the status LED is flashing red for some minutes. Now my phone can enter fastboot again, no bootlaoder, no screen.

Is there anything I can do to get to my data? I already bought a new phone, so disassembly without reasembly would be an option. After almost full three years rma is no option any more.

Greetings!

KobiP
3rd December 2019, 01:00 PM |#2  
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KobiP

Hello,

What happened:
I updated about two to three weeks ago to Android 10, looking forward for another happy year with my Pixel 1 128GB, bought on day one.
The very next morning I started a timer (default clock app) and wondered why it never rang. Boom, my Pixel is dead. Countdown to self destruction? Just kidding.
Of course the device was not dropped, no water or whatsoerver touched the phone recently. It just died silently on my table.

State summary:
Bootloader locked, was never unlocked
OEM Unlock is disabled / never enabled in the running system
Original Android 10 running for approx 12-16h
No root, custom rom, whatsoever. Stock android.
While still working, adb was connecting fine on my PC (I used scrcpy every now and then)

All that works now is if I press Vol up, Vol down and Power for approx. 10s, the phone vibrates. Then I can see in my PC that my Pixel is in fastboot mode. The screen stays off at all times. As my bootloader is locked, I can't do a lot, even flashing a zip with stock firmware won't work. If I type 'fastboot reboot bootloader' the device disappears from fastboot and never reaches adb.

I also tried to discharge my phone, thats why I write only now. Takes quite long if the screen is off to empty the battery in fastboot mode. All that happend now is that once I charge my phone the status LED is flashing red for some minutes. Now my phone can enter fastboot again, no bootlaoder, no screen.

Is there anything I can do to get to my data? I already bought a new phone, so disassembly without reasembly would be an option. After almost full three years rma is no option any more.

Greetings!

KobiP

Pixel has an auto backup feature so everything should be backed up to the Google servers and if you use Google photos then your photos are most likely backed up. However if your screen is black, check the display closely if you can see even a small crack in your AMOLED display. I had a Galaxy J5 2017 that broke on the table and got a crack in the display and when an AMOLED display is cracked then the whole display goes black. It can happen from pressure on the display. Idk if you had cases on but the Pixel can flex quite a bit. If you see a crack then you can replace the display and be good as these AMOLED displays are so fragile. Otherwise it's a software related issue...
3rd December 2019, 02:41 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperiaGUY47

Pixel has an auto backup feature so everything should be backed up to the Google servers and if you use Google photos then your photos are most likely backed up. However if your screen is black, check the display closely if you can see even a small crack in your AMOLED display. I had a Galaxy J5 2017 that broke on the table and got a crack in the display and when an AMOLED display is cracked then the whole display goes black. It can happen from pressure on the display. Idk if you had cases on but the Pixel can flex quite a bit. If you see a crack then you can replace the display and be good as these AMOLED displays are so fragile. Otherwise it's a software related issue...

Hey,

some while passed, and I managed to get the most important data back by a Helium Backup Pro. That did not work initially due to a bug, but in the end I could get it to run. Google Backup did not help at all... I don't understand why and I can't check any more if it was enabled or disabled . Does Google Backup restore work only on new Pixel? My new Phone is a Xiaomi. Worst data loss was Google Authenticator, that is not backed up anywhere as it seems. I almost logged out of my Github Account forever, a ssh certificate plus github support saved my butt.

As I have 2 years old kid my phone was sometimes dropped. But until now I could not see any tiny damage at all (glass screen protectors broke more often). I will take a closer look at my screen the next days.

Cheers
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)